View Diary: The Daily Bucket - Our First Yucca Bloom (69 comments)

•  they are grays... (10+ / 0-)

under that sooty fur!  :)

i used to see them occasionally in my neighborhood growing up.  But now they are much more plentiful.  Don't know the gene traits with grays, but they are gray squirrels!

All the suffering of this world arises from a wrong attitude.The world is neither good or bad. It is only the relation to our ego that makes it seem the one or the other - Lama Anagorika Govinda

by kishik on Mon Sep 09, 2013 at 11:16:27 AM PDT

•  They do not appear any different from the (8+ / 0-)

grays except for color and seem to live in the same trees. But they are new to my yard this year while the grays have been an increasing presence for the past two or three years.

"There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats ..." - Kenneth Grahame -

by RonK on Mon Sep 09, 2013 at 12:22:24 PM PDT

•  since... (8+ / 0-)

the pear tree is a squirrels exercise center, I see sibs, gray and black playing together.  :D  They aren't any different and do come from the same litter.

In my neck of the woods, I think it's just the gene pool for the dark fur has been burgeoning of late.  I saw five babies, all with black fur hanging out (looking for peanuts and leftover seeds) along with some grays which for once were outnumbered.

by kishik on Mon Sep 09, 2013 at 12:34:49 PM PDT

•  Thanks Kishik, if they come from the same litter I (6+ / 0-)

think that tells a lot. It could be interesting to know why (assuming if) we are getting more of the dark variants of the Grays.

by RonK on Mon Sep 09, 2013 at 01:51:25 PM PDT

•  I don't know... (6+ / 0-)

when I was a kid, we would see maybe one in the neighborhood for years.  My mother told me that there always seemed to be at least one that would be around before I was born and old enough to remember this stuff myself.

But I'd say the past 10 years the black squirrel population has really exploded.  I see them in other parts of town...

I totally live in the heart of suburbia.  Could just be that the gene that causes the darker fur has multiplied enough in past generations that they now are popping up more commonly?  Not sure.

But I do see the young squirrels that clearly are from the same litter who will be grazing for food together in the yard.

by kishik on Mon Sep 09, 2013 at 02:39:04 PM PDT

•  Nice to get a photo of the new squirrel in the (8+ / 0-)

neighborhood.

La Crosse, WI has a large community of solid black furred grey squirrels. Gorgeous critters.

I love nature, science and my dogs.

by Polly Syllabic on Mon Sep 09, 2013 at 12:39:32 PM PDT