View Diary: "Trigger Happy" - Priorities for Reducing Gun Violence from United Physicians of Newtown (143 comments)

•  PS (8+ / 0-)
    The ordinance approved last week by the Legislative Council says no resident may shoot for more than four hours after police are notified and shooting is limited to one person at a time. Target backstops are required and must be 10 feet above the target.

No shooting is allowed within a half-mile of a school.

The ordinance is targeted at recreational shooting and does not affect hunters or gun salutes for memorial events and tributes.

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it!" — Upton Sinclair

by Greg Dworkin on Tue Sep 10, 2013 at 03:12:07 PM PDT

•  Greg, personal responses: (6+ / 0-)

You and I may quibble over the magazine capacity rule.
      I personally don't believe 15 or 10 is that much of a difference in handguns.
      Rifles?  I'd max at 20, though to be honest, I own nothing that accepts more than 10 rounds already.

You know I know Newtown.  It's where I went to the movies.  It's where I went to the editorial offices of Taunton Press.  Newtown FD sent a delegation to a School Bus extrication class we offered, 20-ish years ago.
      The key to this discussion is 20-ish years ago.
      The Town looks the same, the population density has changed.  It's that way all over the "sleepy bedroom communities" of New England.

The town I grew up in, has developed the land where I went shooting, hunting, or training pedigree bird dogs.
      No longer "upland" it's become luxury home lots.
      Hundreds of acres, became dozens of private dwellings, owned by the rich and would-be famous working in Manhattan.

Needless to say, "discharge of firearms" is now verboten, and all hunting is archery only.
      A wise choice, if you're not a pootie.

There was an effort 40 years ago, when people from away, bought 2 acres bordering another 200 acres, which I posted on-behest-of the owner.
      That was attempting to leverage 2 acres into 202 of private reserve.
      Now, those 200 acres host 40 residences, and only an idiot would fire a gun for any reason short of defending their very lives.
      (pootie owners, Coyotes believe your cat is a low-effort furry/tasty snack - and the no gun rule really helps coyotes flourish).

My experiences have led me to believe there are patterns of behavior which should be the standard for firearms access.
      I know Felons, who I'd be happy to hand a gun to.
      They're not prone to violence.  They happen to be Felons.
      There are other people, yet to be arrested, convicted, or adjudicated - who should never gain access to anything sharper/deadlier than a white vinyl eraser.
      Much like persons with addictive personalities can only transfer addictions, not end being addictive; there are people prone to being a danger to others.

I speak of those persons with poor people and conflict resolution skills. (including some employed by the government in enforcing the laws)
      Over the years, local, State, and Federal agencies and task forces have identified a targeted enforcement as being of-benefit.  The pressure comes off, the funding dries up, and the next legislative cycle "felonizes" a new behavior, or a new class of criminal.  Supposedly in an effort to prevent high level crime.  Send a message.
      Fill a jail.  Feed a system.

I watched Bridgeport swirl the drain.  Waterbury too.
      We "felonized" a great many people, while doing little to provide alternatives to crime and incarceration: employment and education, treatment and counseling.

It's been my experience, that only ~10% of Felons are dangerous to the general public.

That leaves a greater number of dangerous people "out there" who are "known-to" somebody, or some agency.
      Too often it's either a protected person (right job or family) - or, they're too much of a bother to get off the street, until there's a body attached to a weapon, attached to a person, prone to violence.
      A person, known to have a history.

Newtown, experienced one such person.
      We can do better.
      To do so, we must turn the existing system on it's ear.
      Spend the money on ensuring the majority of dollars goes to keeping prisons empty, schools full, people working.

Mazel Tov.

The country was in peril; he was jeopardizing his traditional rights of freedom and independence by daring to exercise them.” ~ Joseph Heller, Catch-22

by 43north on Tue Sep 10, 2013 at 06:40:46 PM PDT

•  I'd like to explore teaching principles of self (2+ / 0-)
        suesue, Joy of Fishes

defense and de-escalation, at two levels.

Anyone who wants a handgun permit, or a concealed carry permit - that's the adult level.

We could start teaching 9th grade, gym class, because that is when teen violence rises sharply.

Such training could be offered to anyone who seeks a protection order.

These are the three groups, that IMO, represent the "low-hanging fruit," people who are at some risk of incarceration, injury or death, if they have a moment of poor judgment or carelessness with a gun.

"They did not succeed in taking away our voice" - Angelique Kidjo - Opening the Lightning In a Bottle concert at Radio City Music Hall in New York City - 2003

by LilithGardener on Tue Sep 10, 2013 at 06:55:03 PM PDT

•  By "with a gun" I mean (2+ / 0-)
          suesue, Joy of Fishes

either facing an armed aggressor, or carrying a gun themselves, legally or illegally.

I'm not in favor of interventions that will simply feed more people into a for profit prison system.

by LilithGardener on Tue Sep 10, 2013 at 07:04:48 PM PDT

•  Two comments, one reply: (1+ / 0-)
            Joy of Fishes

"Civics" more to the point acting in a civil manner towards others, has like "Home Eccs" gone from the curriculum.

"Management of Aggressive Behavior" is a two-sided class taught to LEOs.

Personally, I think it was abandoned when we started policing in less of a "Community Policing" tactic, and went straight for "this too is Fallujah, you just don't see it".

The two sides of the class were de-escallation, and immediate compliance.  The Canadian TV series Flashpoint makes a fair effort at showing similar tactics.

The issue with always being reasonable, always being compliant while re-stating your case, is that there are predatory psyches, who revel in the reinforcement of what's going on inside their heads:

I'm in charge. Me. I hold all the cards. Me.  I'm the one saying.

That's where MOAB broke like a glass rod, and you went for immediate take-down, and 100% compliance of the aggressor in taking him into custody.

That's a lot to teach LEOs, I'm unaware of how this could be distilled sufficiently for civilians.

Therefore, I'm advocating the inculcation of "community" over the "culture of me".
            How we deal with some of the other issues, of domestic violence, child abuse, etc...?  Is probably a subject for other diaries.

by 43north on Wed Sep 11, 2013 at 06:02:25 AM PDT

•  9th grade is far too late. (3+ / 0-)

By then, behavior patterns have already been set in place.

Your hate-mail will be graded.

by PavePusher on Thu Sep 12, 2013 at 07:13:14 AM PDT

•  You might be right (1+ / 0-)
            Joy of Fishes

Where would you start?

by LilithGardener on Thu Sep 12, 2013 at 07:30:19 AM PDT

•  As far as public schools go.... (2+ / 0-)
              LilithGardener, Joy of Fishes

I'm not sure.  Not really my area of expertise, but I'd assume as early as possible, like First Grade.  I'd say make it part of Civics class, but from what I hear, that stuff isn't taught in most places anymore.

Hmmmm...

Your hate-mail will be graded.

by PavePusher on Thu Sep 12, 2013 at 11:57:25 AM PDT

•  Good touch - bad touch education .... (1+ / 0-)
                LilithGardener

.... starts very young, and teaching age-appropriate safety and self-defense would be a good fit.

And I'll add here that when I read about teaching gun safety in an RKBA diary, my initial reaction was no way because what I pictured was teaching kids how to shoot. But after thinking about it, it is a good idea to make sure little ones have some basic knowledge, such as teaching them that if they find a gun, to leave it alone and to tell an adult right away.

Then there are toy guns that look like real guns and real guns that look like toys...

•  little to argue with, there (3+ / 0-)
        LilithGardener, ban nock, 43north

it's really amazing how over the 25 years I've lived here to see the place change. That makes some long time residents unhappy. But things can't be the way they were 25 years ago.

by Greg Dworkin on Tue Sep 10, 2013 at 08:24:20 PM PDT

• Rescued (17)
  • Politics (16)
  • Media (15)
  • 2016 (15)
  • Texas (15)
  • Barack Obama (13)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site