View Diary: Lawmakers say Obama asks for delay on Syria vote, citing hope for diplomacy (147 comments)

•  I think he DID want to attack, at first... (6+ / 0-)

But here's the thing: the major players in this act of diplomacy are actively working to avoid war. Obama needs only play his part and stay patient while the details are ironed out and we'll achieve our objective...all without firing a single missile.

Adequate health care should be a LEGAL RIGHT in the U.S without begging or bankruptcy. Until it is, we should not dare call our society civilized.

by Love Me Slender on Tue Sep 10, 2013 at 01:03:24 PM PDT

•  I don't think he did want to attack, ever. (2+ / 0-)
      Yougottahavehope, Matt Z

I think his saber-rattling was within his role of "bad cop". I suspect this was cooked up with Putin starting before G20.

Peace is not merely a distant goal that we seek, but a means by which we arrive at that goal. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

by Gentle Giant on Tue Sep 10, 2013 at 01:23:18 PM PDT

•  He may not have "wanted to," (5+ / 0-)

but he was willing to do so to deter.  I have no doubt that President Obama prefers this outcome, but I don't think he was bluffing.   I don't think that maakes him "good," or "bad."   It just makes him President.  Even Jimmy Carter endorsed military force in trying to rescue hostages in Iran.

But one cannot see into someone's else's mind and heart, so what you say is possible.

Join us on the Black Kos front porch to review news and views written from a black pov—everyone is welcome.

by TomP on Tue Sep 10, 2013 at 01:46:06 PM PDT

•  nicely, and diplomatically, put, TomP. (3+ / 0-)
          TomP, Spit, scamperdo

I think he would have followed through, too, but I wonder if he didn't contact the Kremlin before making the threat of intervention, for an assessment of their ability to deal with Assad for the chemical weapons.
          Obama's doesn't seem like a reactionary regime. I suspect they are pretty comprehensive in their search for solutions to problems and are prone to hedge their bets.

by Gentle Giant on Tue Sep 10, 2013 at 01:59:35 PM PDT

•  I don't think he was bluffing either, Tom. (0+ / 0-)

And while I understand America's justified and imo, smart, resistance to the idea of ANY kind of military strike, and I'm right there with them, I can't help understand this from Obama's POV, which of course, is pretty verboten here, at least as I define it.

The fact that Assad's military might have done this without his permission is imo, even scarier than if Assad had ordered this himself. It tells me those chemical weapons are out there for the using, by anyone who has the power to access them. What's worse than a tyrant with chemical weapons? A tyrant who doesn't have control of them.

What we're really talking about here is whether we as a global community will take a pass on the issue of chemical weapons. That is no small thing. Despite the fact that CW are lousy on the battlefield, they're pretty quick, horrifying and effective in scaring the populace. If Assad can do it, anyone can do it. I do believe this.

Still, I wasn't convinced we'd exhausted our options yet, so I remained against the strike. The last day shows me there were more options, and it's a very good thing we slowed this thing way down.

I am very much interested in the President's speech tonight.
          Wonder if there will be a live blog.

"A typical vice of American politics is the avoidance of saying anything real on real issues." Theodore Roosevelt.

by StellaRay on Tue Sep 10, 2013 at 05:26:32 PM PDT

•  I just know that Dubya and the neocons (1+ / 0-)
        Matt Z

were intent on war, come hell or high water, or just for the hell of it.

It's nice to see a grownup in the Oval Office.

•  I think it took him awhile to get the message (1+ / 0-)
      Lepanto

that most of the nation did not.

I had kept calling my reps up until a few hours ago, finally getting 2 committed NO votes.

I think that congress is getting the message finally also, that we are not a country that will easily be dragged into another war.

"Who are these men who really run this land? And why do they run it with such a thoughtless hand?" David Crosby

by allenjo on Tue Sep 10, 2013 at 01:24:29 PM PDT