View Diary: Lawmakers say Obama asks for delay on Syria vote, citing hope for diplomacy (147 comments)

•  Are you serious? (0+ / 0-)

I do not support an attack on Syria in any form. At this point there is nothing going on there in our national interest. Obama is being played by Putin and is making Putin a major player in the middle east. I do not care what your politics are you should always start by being honest with yourself. We got here by mistake and everyone knows it.

•  How we got here is no longer as important as (0+ / 0-)

the reality that we got here!

"Who are these men who really run this land? And why do they run it with such a thoughtless hand?" David Crosby

by allenjo on Tue Sep 10, 2013 at 01:27:07 PM PDT

•  Yes we got here but.... (0+ / 0-)

almost went to the brink of WWIII and the danger is not over. This has looked like amateur hour and if we get a chance to pull back we will be lucky. Downside the US looks weak and indecisive.

•  I disagree, unclezeb. (0+ / 0-)

I don't think there was any mistake involved here except a slip of the lip or two by some of the players. I think Obama's red line and threat of military interference were meant as a lever to pry those weapons loose. We are not privy to the WH's communications with the Kremlin. It's easy to forget Russia is not "the enemy" anymore.

Obama is not Bush. There is no cowboy posturing here.

Peace is not merely a distant goal that we seek, but a means by which we arrive at that goal. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

by Gentle Giant on Tue Sep 10, 2013 at 01:28:41 PM PDT

•  So Obama is such a good chess player he mapped (0+ / 0-)

this out a year ago when he first mentioned the "red line"?
        And then Kerry acted like he slipped up yesterday and gave us an out? No way. You seem smarter than that.

•  Because that's how chess works: (0+ / 0-)

when you make your first move you know exactly how the entire match is going to go!

Jeez...

Non futuis apud Boston

by kenlac on Tue Sep 10, 2013 at 01:38:45 PM PDT

•  I suspect (0+ / 0-)

that he thought the international community would back his "red line," and provide tons of leverage for diplomacy to work, and to hopefully not have to follow through militarily.

That other countries balked so hard about doing anything, after a sarin attack on civilians, was probably unexpected and does seem to me to have thrown them off a little. But I think they were primarily looking for leverage.

I think it was always hoped to be a game of chicken. Of course, the risk is that you then wind up in a very bad position and have to follow through. I didn't think we would find the leverage with Putin necessarily, but it appears to me that we have, at least for progress of some kind.

Not the same as knowing every step ahead of time. Yes, I think there were some unexpected pieces, I think Kerry has had a few blunders either way, and I don't think they were bluffing about any of it. But I do think they were hoping that the threat of force would be enough to force diplomatic work to actually happen.

•  I am not trying to argumentative. (0+ / 0-)

Its just that I am trying to be a realist and understand how we got here and our role in the world going forward. If can not get our oldest allies to get on board with us then we are not doing something right. This has been a mess from the start. A leader does not jump out there without understanding where he is asking us to go and the potential consequences of our actions. I just did not see that in this situation.

•  I think leaders are coming to accept that their (1+ / 0-)
          Gentle Giant

citizens are war weary, a reckoning too long in coming.

Perhaps the benefit in the world going forward, much more diplomacy, less mongering for war, not just here but around the globe.

by allenjo on Tue Sep 10, 2013 at 01:52:11 PM PDT

•  And sometimes (0+ / 0-)

a leader doesn't jump at all but sits back and listens.

And thinks.

Or??

Welcome from the DK Partners & Mentors Team. If you have any questions about how to participate here, you can learn more at the Knowledge Base or from the New Diarists Resources Diaries. Diaries labeled "Open Thread" are also great places to ask. We look forward to your contributions.

Words can sometimes, in moments of grace, attain the quality of deeds. --Elie Wiesel

by a gilas girl on Tue Sep 10, 2013 at 02:26:59 PM PDT

•  Are you listening to the news? (0+ / 0-)

With the exception of MSNBC all networks are saying this is advantage Putin. And now Putin pulled the UN rug out from under Obama. I am really disappointed in our President.