View Diary: The Garden: Intersection of History and Hunger (80 comments)

•  my parents were locavores (7+ / 0-)

before that was a word.

thank you for sharing this.  when people have the land, and time to do this, it's wonderful!

Ted Kennedy: “The work goes on, the cause endures, the hope still lives, and the dream shall never die…”

by jlms qkw on Wed Nov 13, 2013 at 12:20:32 PM PST

•  If your folks were locavores (5+ / 0-)

you had a great upbringing.  You grew up knowing what food is supposed to taste like.

"I speak the truth, not as much as I would, but as much as I dare, and I dare a little the more, as I grow older." --Montaigne

by DrLori on Wed Nov 13, 2013 at 01:06:05 PM PST

•  My mother was so unvegetably (5+ / 0-)

that my father, who was raised in a farming village in northern Greece, often took me to the store on Saturdays to do REAL produce shopping. My mother's idea of produce shopping was a head of iceburg lettuce, a bag of red delicious apples, and a large package of chocolate chips. My father taught me to make salad, which my mother never particularly cared for. I'd put some on her plate and tell her if she didn't eat it, I would get her dessert.

Ed FitzGerald for governor Of Ohio. Women's lives depend on it. http://www.edfitzgeraldforohio.com/

by anastasia p on Wed Nov 13, 2013 at 05:00:29 PM PST

•  My mom was the same way (5+ / 0-)

She hated being outdoors and the only things I ever remember her cooking were steak (my step dad loved it), a Sunday roast and an occasional "everything in" soup. She was a typical 50s 60s working housewife who thought that the invention of instant mashed potatoes was the best thing ever.

But, I wasn't raised by my mother. I got to live with her only now and then, I was raised by my grandparents and they lived thru WWI and WWII and the Depression. I did my share of gardening and killing and plucking chickens.

On Mondays we got up before God in the summer and baked the week's bread. We washed clothes on Tuesdays with a wringer washer and put them on the line. Wednesdays were for ironing, even the sheets. The rest of the week was governed by duties, I grew up old school. When I started my first period in early '62 I was literally "on the rag" and you washed and reused them.

When I was a young mother my grandmother could no longer live on her own and she moved to the nursing home down the street. We used to joke that we never had to leave, the hospital, nursing home and cemetery were all on our block. I moved into grandma's house, the house that both my mother and I were raised in and I raised my daughter there.

I ended up having to give it up, the city wanted the land to expand the cemetery. I mourn that house and the garden, the land. Gardening is my way to keep contact with that part of my life, it is a passion. I have to garden, even if it ends up just being house plants. I have to.

And daddy won't you take me back to Muhlenberg County Down by the Green River where Paradise lay. Well, I'm sorry my son, but you're too late in asking Mister Peabody's coal train has hauled it away. John Prine

by high uintas on Wed Nov 13, 2013 at 05:51:07 PM PST

•  Oh my, what a history. So sorry you lost (3+ / 0-)
            high uintas, tardis10, chimene

the house and land. I can see what it meant to you.

Support Small Business: Shop Kos Katalogue If you'd like to join the Motor City Kossacks, send me a Kosmail.

by peregrine kate on Wed Nov 13, 2013 at 08:16:33 PM PST

•  I find it hard to even convey (3+ / 0-)
              peregrine kate, tardis10, chimene

how hard I took it. When I was writing that comment little moments came back and it was almost like being there. It's so weird that I was so attached, it was a dinky, little, old house.

by high uintas on Wed Nov 13, 2013 at 08:25:27 PM PST

•  I'm so sorry you lost the home you loved. (2+ / 0-)
            a gilas girl, high uintas

There's nothing more bitter than having your home taken from you, even if it lives in your memory.

You must have had what we call now a traumatic childhood, but you obviously came out the better for it.  Work in childhood is a good thing, even if we don't realize that we're learning life skills at the time.  Like gardening.  You'll never know what you get the chance to break your plants out of pots.

by DrLori on Thu Nov 14, 2013 at 04:01:26 AM PST

•  Not to be misunderstood (1+ / 0-)
              Stripe

I was future tripping about only having house plants, talking about when I'm too old or infirm to be able to garden proper. I have a garden now and it really does save me.

by high uintas on Thu Nov 14, 2013 at 09:02:59 AM PST

•  It is a great thing (1+ / 0-)
            high uintas

to have such close bonds to family and home.  I'm sorry that the city took the land-- sounds very difficult.