View Diary: Dog alerts family to child abuse (91 comments)

•  I'm not the one that said (8+ / 0-)
      it could have been Finn that was killed by the babysitter. You never know.
      I didn't second guess their hiring her, or continuing to use her for a while after the dog started acting strange.

But once they got suspicious enough to set up a recorder, I personally don't see how someone could walk out the door leaving a seven-month old infant in her arms.

If that makes me a terrible person for second-guessing them, so be it.

People should use their brains. As the father said, baby Finn could have been killed.

Life isn't an episode of CSI. Just fire her.

I don't know what they were thinking.

© grover

by grover on Wed Sep 11, 2013 at 02:54:14 PM PDT

•  just fire her...and let her do it to other kids? (6+ / 0-)
        •  Call the police and report your suspicions. (1+ / 0-)
          Joy of Fishes

But risk your baby's safety to get evidence? Really?

© grover

by grover on Wed Sep 11, 2013 at 03:25:10 PM PDT

•  Call the police and report what?? (9+ / 0-)

My dog growls at my nanny? Yeah - police are going to hop on a serious investigation with that.

“Texas is a so-called red state, but you’ve got 10 million Democrats here in Texas. And …, there are a whole lot of people here in Texas who need us, and who need us to fight for them.” President Obama

by Catte Nappe on Wed Sep 11, 2013 at 07:01:45 PM PDT

•  Grover, (1+ / 0-)
            betson08

I think that your opinion is common sense and valuable.  However, it is not reality.

The shocking reality is that nobody protects our children.  As a matter of fact, getting protection from a known abuser is excruciatingly arduous, time consuming, and horrifying.  My granddaughter is only 3 yrs. old and is regularly drugged and abused by her parents.  I have been researching this in my area for 2 yrs.....the blatant abuse by authorities is heart wrenching.  Please trust me on this.

Please, please sign and share.  Thanks so much.

www.signon.org/sign/sarasota-sheriffs-office

Please save a child's life. www.signon.org/sign/sarasota-sheriffs-office

by kmfmstar on Thu Sep 12, 2013 at 05:35:08 AM PDT

•  Again, kmfmstar, if you have specific evidence (0+ / 0-)

Go to the police and refuse to leave until they do something AND threaten to go to the news organizations.

That lights a fire under their butts 100% of the time, the thought of bad press.

If you have that much specific evidence, it is past time to sidestep social services and the police if they are unwilling to do anything and go over their heads, to the news organizations.

•  Why is it so hard to believe (0+ / 0-)

That I have done all this?  If you don't think we are being victimized in America, ask yourself how the Stuebenville rape case or Trayvon Martin murder were ignored by law enforcement until public outrage embarrassed officials into making arrests?  And the outcomes of both of those cases were disappointing.

A reporter for the Sarasota Herald Tribune sat in my living room for two hours, taking notes and promising to do something.  Nothing at all happened.  When I contacted her again, she acted like she didn't remember me.

I have been to papers, police stations, DCF offices from state on down to local.  I have written all of my legislatures, from the most local all the way to the state level.  Until you are embroiled in something like this, you will never know the utter frustration, hopelessness, rage, disgust and despair to know what an uphill battle it is to try to save a child.  And there are no words to describe how you feel when you realize that in all likelihood, this child will die anyway. Because nobody who has the authority to act will do so.

Please save a child's life. www.signon.org/sign/sarasota-sheriffs-office

by kmfmstar on Fri Sep 13, 2013 at 07:11:25 PM PDT

•  I see what you're saying (8+ / 0-)

And the Internet would be empty if it weren't for Monday morning quarterbacking.

Still, I would file this under "all's well that end's well." I'm not saying I would have handled this the same way as the family did. I do know that by making a criminal case they were able to ensure that she is much less likely to harm another child. But yes, it was a bit of a risky strategy.

"As the madmen play on words, and make us all dance to their song / to the tune of starving millions, to make a better kind of gun..." -- Iron Maiden

by Lost Left Coaster on Wed Sep 11, 2013 at 03:51:10 PM PDT

•  And (3+ / 0-)
          But yes, it was a bit of a risky strategy.
          That was my point.

I'm certainly not calling for them to be charged with child endangerment or have mandatory parenting classes, or even have them reprimanded.

But I thought that in the midst of the feel-good Good Dog story, the "huh, maybe this was a bad idea" concept was lost was never even considered.

© grover

by grover on Wed Sep 11, 2013 at 03:59:15 PM PDT

•  Let it go (1+ / 0-)
            jiffykeen

Your instincts are good; better than many of us. So, something like this will never happen to you.

I'm from the Elizabeth Warren wing of the Democratic Party

by voicemail on Wed Sep 11, 2013 at 07:24:36 PM PDT

•  Here's the thing (1+ / 0-)
            Minnesota Deb

First of all, people under stress do things maybe YOU wouldn't do. You're not in the situaton, so you don't know for sure what you would have done.

Second, they weren't exactly sure that the dog was signalling abuse, so they had to prove it. You also didn't see the condition of their child - if he was bruised or acting traumatized then they might have had more certain proof of the meaning of the dog's behavior.

I wonder why you had to continue to stalk the thread with your opinion.

Helping a food pantry on the Cheyenne River Reservation,Okiciyap.

by betson08 on Thu Sep 12, 2013 at 08:35:40 AM PDT

•  Because he does not want to admit he is wrong (0+ / 0-)

So he is trying to beat into people that his viewpoint is right and everyone else's is wrong.

You and the other commentators are right: in a case where there was no evidence of physical abuse, the child services people and the police would have laughed the parents off and told them "Come back when you have some physical evidence!"

That physical evidence could only be gotten (recordings are evidence) by a sting operation like this one.

•  I thought it was weird too. (0+ / 0-)

It seems the baby endured an entire additional day of being slapped needlessly.
            But of course it is easy to say in hindsight that someone should have done something differently.  I would just hope to learn from this and similar tales -- trust your instincts and act immediately.
            In fact I think I would install a camera and/or microphone from day one.

•  I know what they were thinking. (20+ / 0-)

They were thinking that they were being paranoid, that maybe there was some other reason for the dog to be unhappy, that they didn't want to judge the nanny too quickly, that it would be so embarrassing if they were wrong. That this couldn't possibly be true because they didn't want it to be. It's unreasonable, and they were very, very lucky, but many people would have made the same stupid mistakes.

Personally, I would have set up a recorder that allowed me to listen in real time and step in at the first sign of trouble. And that nanny would have been happy to see the cops arrive.

"The Democrats are the lesser evil and that has to count for something. Good and evil aren't binary states. All of us are both good and evil. Being less evil is the trajectory of morality." --SC

by tb92 on Wed Sep 11, 2013 at 05:13:54 PM PDT

•  Yup, Real time or... (3+ / 0-)

I'm sure in hindsight the parents would have hidden in the actual house.

"Love One Another" ~ George Harrison

by Damnit Janet on Wed Sep 11, 2013 at 06:17:38 PM PDT

•  In reality, (0+ / 0-)

Nobody would have done anything in real time.  They did the right thing, whether or not they knew how the system works.  (And it appears that they did not....dumb luck on their part).

Please read my sig line and sign and share.  Please, please.  I've been through it all, and the sad fact is that nobody is protecting our kids.  The reality is horrifying.  Unthinkable.

Please save a child's life. www.signon.org/sign/sarasota-sheriffs-office

by kmfmstar on Thu Sep 12, 2013 at 05:40:35 AM PDT

•  Signed. Hope everything works out. nt (1+ / 0-)
            kmfmstar

by tb92 on Fri Sep 13, 2013 at 10:01:18 AM PDT

•  Thank you so much. (0+ / 0-)

I checked the petition this morning....within 24 hrs., there were 81 additional signatures.  I cannot thank you enough. Peace and love to you.

Please save a child's life. www.signon.org/sign/sarasota-sheriffs-office