View Diary: No more fruit for you: Food stamps to be cut by average $30 a month (100 comments)

•  They already cut mine by 1/3rd here in FL. (18+ / 0-)

At least six months ago.

And it has made a huge difference every single month since. It is very hard to cut back a certain amount especially in summer when I love the fresh stone fruits and crave fresh vegetables. Prices here with the monopoly Publix has are very high which makes it harder.

"extreme concentration of income is incompatible with real democracy.... the truth is that the whole nature of our society is at stake." Paul Krugman

by Gorette on Thu Sep 12, 2013 at 08:45:25 AM PDT

•  They cut mine as well (12+ / 0-)

a few months ago. Now we're up for renewal again this month. I waited until after the food stamps came in and were spent before I filed so they couldn't cut this month. I'm really hoping they don't cut us again. We're already down to $154/month.  That will feed us (5 people including a teen age boy) for about a week and a half if I'm careful with it. If they cut us more, well, there goes our fruits and some of our fresh vegetables, and we'll have to reduce the quality of our meats as well. Hot dogs and mac-n-cheese 3 days a week anyone?

by FloridaSNMOM on Thu Sep 12, 2013 at 09:23:39 AM PDT

•  Are there any farm stands (6+ / 0-)

there that accept SNAP? Ours do here, and it's grotesque that you wouldn't be able to buy locally-grown food more cheaply.

by sidnora on Thu Sep 12, 2013 at 09:44:13 AM PDT

•  The farmer's market near the house (7+ / 0-)

does not accept food stamps, and is more a home made luxuries market than a farmer's market. You can buy gormet jellies, and $5 a tiny container goat cheese, and home made soaps, but only one person sells fruits and vegetables and he doesn't come every week.

I've heard there's a better one down at the fairgrounds, but that one isn't in walking distance and we have no car. I have no idea if they take food stamps.

Luckily our local grocery store has a very nice produce department with a wide selection. This week they had several things we routinely eat on buy one get one, so we currently have lots of vegetables in the fridge. They also had grapes for .99 per pound so we have a bunch of those as well.

by FloridaSNMOM on Thu Sep 12, 2013 at 09:52:04 AM PDT

•  Well, I'm glad to hear that you're OK (5+ / 0-)

if only for the short term.

It just seems obscene to me that, living in a place that supplies so much produce for other parts of the country, you can't even buy some cheaply. 99¢ grapes is good, though.

by sidnora on Thu Sep 12, 2013 at 10:21:34 AM PDT

•  They were .99 on Tuesday (2+ / 0-)
            sidnora, Mortifyd

when the food stamps came in and we did a 'short trip' for some essentials. We did our big grocery day on Wednesday after Caedy got paid  and we could take a cab home. On Wednesday they were 1.99/lb. I'm glad we went ahead and bought them Tuesday.

by FloridaSNMOM on Thu Sep 12, 2013 at 10:23:14 AM PDT

•  The grocery sales (1+ / 0-)
              FloridaSNMOM

usually run from Wednesday through Tuesday -- not sure why; I think it was Thursday through Wednesday back when my dad was alive and in the grocery business (he was produce manager for our local market when he died). I usually try and go through the ad on Tuesday night and set my menus for the week depending what's on sale and what our schedule is for helping Mr. Scribe's mom. I try to stock up on canned goods when they're on sale, so I have something to fall back on in a pinch, and also to donate to the local food closet; I especially do that with canned and dried beans because you can make a lot out of those.

by Cali Scribe on Thu Sep 12, 2013 at 03:26:40 PM PDT

•  We don't get the paper (0+ / 0-)

that's an expense I can't really qualify getting, so we don't get the ads until we get to the store. We buy what's on sale, then decide what to make what day as the mood hits us. This week we have roast (buy one get one.. and many things we can do with it), chicken legs (buy one get one and lots of options), and pork chops (buy one get one). Hamburger was $3.49/lb. the Roast was $5.39 but buy one get one, so technically half that. When Roast is cheaper than hamburger, we eat roast LOL.

by FloridaSNMOM on Thu Sep 12, 2013 at 03:45:39 PM PDT

•  SNAP (1+ / 0-)
                  FloridaSNMOM

was a temporary blessing when we needed it due to a drunk running over pedestrian me, knocking me out of work for a couple of months twenty years ago. I psychologically dealt with this injury by reasoning that if this dimwit DWIer had not hit me he may have killed somebody less fat than I!
                  Seriously, it also taught our family how to grocery shop more effectively.
                  Damn these short-sighted monstrous benefit cutting life shorteners.

•  The reason for grocery ads to run from midweek to (1+ / 0-)
                Treetrunk

midweek, was because newspapers offered cheaper ad space midweek when paper sales was slow.  This started a century ago or more.  Women pages were added on those days with quilt patterns, recipes and local events that would interest women to boost sales.  Now it just gives them time to restock after the week end shopping and get new ads up.

•  and people on food stamps economize in the short (4+ / 0-)

term and become experts at it.  But to economize in the long term, you have to have some money to start with. I got a great bargain deal on $50 lbs. of organic short grain brown rice. But I was able to because I had cash to buy the whole thing instead of paying the retail pound price. And just yesterday I got two bottles of my favorite olive oil at the discount food warehouse because they were $5.50 a piece instead of the $18.00 each that I had skipped at the grocery store. But I had to stop and be thankful that I still had cash to get them both the day they were there.

We are all pupils in the eyes of God.

by nuclear winter solstice on Thu Sep 12, 2013 at 02:43:57 PM PDT

•  Even if I have the money for the rice (4+ / 0-)

I have to have a GOOD sealed container to store it in. Which costs cash I don't have to spare. Have you ever tried storing that much rice in a state like Florida? Between the humidity and the ants and the roaches that will flock in to eat it?

by FloridaSNMOM on Thu Sep 12, 2013 at 04:31:03 PM PDT

•  I save large glass and plastic jars with lids. (0+ / 0-)

I keep bulk purchases in them.  Sometimes it looks like I have canned staples.  I have a box I lay them in under my bed.  It is for when I find great bargains that are really to good to pass up.  Some of the really large ones, I have had for years when my daughter worked in food service she could bring them home when she closed.  You can ask at the bakery for 2 and 5 gal. white buckets that they get icing in.  Sometimes they will save them for you with lids instead of throwing them out.  I have a couple of those I got a few years ago from Winn Dixie.