View Diary: Why i and Even Putin know Assad Used Chemical Weapons (88 comments)

•  Assad is Commander-in-chief of his military. (0+ / 0-)

The German intel was quite sure that the Syrian military used the chemical weapons but could not connect Assad to giving the order. Perhaps it was his brother or another General who actually ordered it. Perhaps like Henry II, Assad merely said "who will rid me of these troublesome civilians?"

You can't scare me, I'm sticking to the Union - Woody Guthrie

by sewaneepat on Fri Sep 13, 2013 at 05:57:53 AM PDT

•  actually (0+ / 0-)

the german intel shows assad repeatedly turning down requests for permission to use.

The cold passion for truth hunts in no pack. -Robinson Jeffers

by Laurence Lewis on Fri Sep 13, 2013 at 09:24:57 AM PDT

•  Indeed, they had intel that Assad had repeatedly (0+ / 0-)

turned down requests in the past 4 months, however, they -as far as I can tell - do not have any particular intel concerning this particular attack other than the Hezbollah official who said that Assad had ordered this particular attack because he was "losing his nerve."

You will note that al Jazeera says that "Syrian government forces may have carried out a chemical weapons attack close to Damascus without the personal permission of President Bashar al-Assad, Germany's Bild am Sonntag paper reported on Sunday, citing German intelligence."

Just because he had said no in the past does not necessarily mean he said no to this particular one. In any event, as I said he is the CIC and it does not make a flap-doodle as to whether he personally ordered the attack or his generals went behind his back. We have never proposed to attack Assad personally, just his military capability that was responsible for the attack, whether he is incapable of controlling his generals or not.

You can't scare me, I'm sticking to the Union - Woody Guthrie

by sewaneepat on Fri Sep 13, 2013 at 10:35:41 AM PDT

•  actually (0+ / 0-)

there was talk of regime change. there also wasn't any explanation of how bombing would diminish cw capabilities. and mcclatchy has a little more:

The report in Bild am Sonntag, which is a widely read and influential national Sunday newspaper, reported that the head of the German Foreign Intelligence agency, Gerhard Schindler, last week told a select group of German lawmakers that intercepted communications had convinced German intelligence officials that Assad did not order or approve what is believed to be a sarin gas attack on Aug. 21 that killed hundreds of people in Damascus’ eastern suburbs.
          convinced.

The cold passion for truth hunts in no pack. -Robinson Jeffers

by Laurence Lewis on Fri Sep 13, 2013 at 10:48:39 AM PDT

•  Here is what Bild am Sonntag says: (0+ / 0-)
            Laut den Erkenntnissen der Abhör-Spezialisten wurden die von den Kommandeuren verlangten Giftgas-Angriffe stets abgelehnt und der Einsatz vom 21. August wahrscheinlich nicht von Assad persönlich genehmigt.
            I don't speech or read German but here is how it was translated for me
            According to the findings of the monitoring specialists requested by the commanders were poison gas attacks and always rejected the use of 21 August probably not personally approved by Assad.
            Looking up the word wahrscheinlich - it means probably. If one wanted to say "certainly," "very likely," "in all probability," or even "quite likely," the phrase would be sehr wahrscheinlich. So I will stick with German intelligence doesn't think he personally ordered it but they do not know that for a fact.

As to regime change, all I have heard the President say is that we are not seeking regime change. Maybe you can give me a link where he has said that military strikes in Syria would be for regime change.

Again, Assad is the head of the military and government and the Syrian government is responsible for the actions the military takes. If he told them no, and they did it anyway, it does not make a rat's ass in whether or not to strike their missile capabilities. If the Joint Chiefs asked Obama to bomb Iran and he said no and this happened over and over, and yet the US military bombed Iran, would you say that Iran or their allies should not respond because the President of the US said not to do it?

You can't scare me, I'm sticking to the Union - Woody Guthrie

by sewaneepat on Fri Sep 13, 2013 at 01:54:25 PM PDT

•  Of course, if Assad did not approve the strike, (0+ / 0-)

The important question is who the fuck is in charge of the Surian military and government.

You can't scare me, I'm sticking to the Union - Woody Guthrie