View Diary: Ask me anything because maybe I'll answer (570 comments)

•  Religion and bans (3+ / 0-)
    Aunt Pat, Simplify, greenearth

Hi, Thanks for your site.

I have a question (a beef, really).  I made some honest and truthful comments about religion, yesterday. I said it (religion) was mad and dangerous. And that it was killing us, literally. One look at the diary page confirms it. (diary about vaccinations).

I was sent a message that stated I was out of bounds. And I lost mojo and TU status. If speaking truth to religion gets punished here at KOS, then I have to stop participating. It’s your site and I will honor the “rules.” But I can’t continue to participate and keep my self-respect. Religion is our single greatest impediment. Until we crack that nut we’ll continue to get our asses handed to us. Religion is a strong unifier, unfortunately.

What is your view going forward?

Thanks, cpqemp

What is so unnerving about the candidacy of Sarah Palin is the degree to which she represents—and her supporters celebrate—the joyful marriage of confidence and ignorance. SAM HARRIS

by Cpqemp on Fri Sep 13, 2013 at 12:56:28 PM PDT

•  I'm looking at your comments (7+ / 0-)

And I think any punishment would have been due to your behavior in the George Zimmerman thread, not the vaccination thread, since you seem to have picked a fight over religion by hijacking a comment about Zimmerman belonging in hell as part of your anti-religion crusade.

•  Someone posted that Zimmerman (2+ / 0-)
        Free Jazz at High Noon, Kimbeaux

..would get his due in hell. I simply said one sentence. That, no, he want get his due in hell, and that we need to fix things, here. Not rely on some afterlife.

If that is considered inappropriate, then I need to find another site. No biggie, but what right do atheists have? Any?

Religion deserves no respect, imv. If it is kos's view that it does, fine. But that's why we (progressives) keep getting our asses kicked. And I'll find somewhere else to play.

by Cpqemp on Fri Sep 13, 2013 at 02:26:01 PM PDT

•  That comment seems acceptable (2+ / 0-)
          Catte Nappe, Brecht

It's the rest of the thread that is the problem.

•  here's your problem: (5+ / 0-)
          Religion deserves no respect, imv
          you are welcome to feel that way, but here on this site, you are either respectful (of a comprehensive list of things, not just religion) or you flirt with being banned.

check out the site rules, recently updated.  this is made very clear there.

any person that thinks only their point of view is the correct point of view is bound to have recurring problems on this site, or, i would guess, with interacting with others in any setting,

anyone that thinks they are the only one to REALLY know about such things, and that anyone that disagrees is an idiot and dangerous, well, the writing is on the wall.

"Don't Bet Against Us" - President Barack Obama

by MRA NY on Fri Sep 13, 2013 at 03:55:42 PM PDT

•  So religion is off the table? (0+ / 0-)

That's fine if it is, now I know.

Someone will say, "start a diary," and another will accuse me of "proselytizing."

It's crazy when you think about it.

by Cpqemp on Fri Sep 13, 2013 at 04:04:34 PM PDT

•  It is not off the table. it can be debated, (1+ / 0-)
              CenPhx

opinions given, facts offered or disputed - just in a respectful manner.

really, DBAD covers this and every other topic.

"Don't Bet Against Us" - President Barack Obama

by MRA NY on Fri Sep 13, 2013 at 06:58:25 PM PDT

•  I'm Thinking So, Too. (7+ / 0-)

Cpqemp, the commenter you replied to used a metaphor common even among nonbelievers ("corner in hell"), which may reflect his literal beliefs, to express his/her disgust with Zimmerman. You replied:

You and your fellow flat-earthers are killing us.
        "Flat-Earther?" Because he either believes in, or used a metaphor that included, Hell, he's a deluded Luddite who refuses to accept the most basic principles of science?

I didn't, and wouldn't HR your comment; but I still call that being, at least, kinda dickish. Lots of ways you could have said that without the insult.

"Seeing Leela fly off the Hexadecapus and crash through the moon dome and survive inside a stuffed animal by breathing a balloon was a dose of reality." Farewell, Futurama--I will avenge you!

by IamGumby on Fri Sep 13, 2013 at 03:14:24 PM PDT

•  Fair enough. (1+ / 0-)
          IamGumby

I can be a dick. But it's not him/her I was blasting. It is religion. And unfortunately, it manifests itself in people. Believers, imv,  regardless of their politics enable the hoax. And all evidence suggests its a hoax. So who is really the dick? I simply want the truth as we know it to prevail. If it doesn't, we're doomed. Feelings be damned.

by Cpqemp on Fri Sep 13, 2013 at 03:21:29 PM PDT

•  Reccing (1+ / 0-)
            poco

Because you were kind enough to reply to my comment, thank you! I think we'll end up disagreeing on this one. Not about your beliefs, but about a need to express yourself in that way. It sounds kind of like anyone who justifies bigoted statements (such as all believers, regardless of how they vote or what politics they support, are "enablers" of a hoax) by claiming something like "This issue is too urgent, and these people are too dangerous, for me to bother with courtesy." Lots of people think that way about the issues that are the most urgent to them, and I accept that. Like I said, you wouldn't get an HR from me.

But you may nevertheless draw some HRs from others (then again, maybe not). If you do, it's not for your belief, I don't think, but for the insult.

Thanks again for replying!

by IamGumby on Fri Sep 13, 2013 at 03:47:59 PM PDT

•  I'll try harder. (0+ / 0-)

The only thing I'll ask is try to put yourself in my shoes. If you have concluded that it is not true, then it necessarily becomes a hoax. And I feel the need to scream it from the rooftops. And to make it worse, I'm very confident about it, lol.

I'm a big fan of Harris, Hitchens, and Dawkins. Other famous dicks. No hard feelings to anyone.

There is no polite way to put it. I'll be viewed a dick, regardless.

by Cpqemp on Fri Sep 13, 2013 at 03:55:21 PM PDT

•  i am a born again christian (7+ / 0-)
      Cpqemp, mayim, MRA NY, Wee Mama, poco, WakeUpNeo, rubyr
      I said it (religion) was mad and dangerous.
      in addition to working like a dog for progressive candidates and causes, I work part time in a church nursery. am I mad and dangerous? am I killing you?

"...i also also want a legally binding apology." -George Rockwell