View Diary: Ignatieff Advocates War to "Protect Civilians" (43 comments)

•  Yep. Now it's just revisionism, like this: (2+ / 0-)
    Retroactive Genius, cotterperson
    Everybody wanted peaceful solutions

But in the absence of that option, some were willing to go along with limited strikes to keep further mass deaths from occurring.

I don't know anyone who didn't want a peaceful solution, including President Obama - who managed to find one.

Diplomacy for two years? A credible show of force to back up the diplomacy? An agreement to get rid of chemical weapons?

Pretty peaceful, if you ask me.

by ▇▇▇▇▇▇▇ on Sat Sep 14, 2013 at 07:47:51 AM PDT

by DeadHead on Sat Sep 14, 2013 at 10:11:31 PM PDT

•  oh, come on. You blank the name and leave the (1+ / 0-)
      viral

link?

At least half the future I've been expecting hasn't gotten here yet. Sigh.... (Yes, there's gender bias in my name; no, I wasn't thinking about it when I signed up. My apologies.)

by serendipityisabitch on Sat Sep 14, 2013 at 10:45:26 PM PDT

•  Yep. (2+ / 0-)
        serendipityisabitch, Bisbonian

Why?

Is that bad or something?

I blanked the name because it was the text of the comment I was trying to focus on, not the commenter.

But every time I don't provide a link, I get asked why I didn't, because context.

by DeadHead on Sat Sep 14, 2013 at 11:05:13 PM PDT

•  I think it may have been one of the most (1+ / 0-)
          DeadHead

interesting triple takes I've done in weeks. You call the comment revisionism, without showing what specifically that commenter has said that the term would apply to, blank the commenter's name, leave the link, and then say why you had to leave the link, because context.

If the comment by itself had proved revisionism, maybe, but you never do show the basis for the charge of revisionism. The context doesn't justify the assumption.

I'm sure there has been revisionism around here - almost everybody is guilty of it at some time. It strikes me, though, that if you want to actually prove it, you'll have to show at least two comments, side by side, by the same person, which make your case.

I think I have whiplash. Jbou, I expect it from, but usually not you.

by serendipityisabitch on Sat Sep 14, 2013 at 11:38:40 PM PDT

•  Heh (2+ / 0-)

I'm always trying expand my horizons.

Here's a synopsis of my twisted logic:

I was responding to YucatanMan's questioning the disappearance of the arguments being made in support of punishing Assad by way of a military strike.

The comment in the other thread was made in reply to someone noting that anti-war people were right all along, even during the cries of "we must punish Assad" that were being made here.

That comment came across as if everyone wanted a peaceful solution all along, which, by supporting a military strike as a default response, simply isn't true.

Hence, revisionism. That was my take on it.

And I provided the link so you could determine whether or not I was full of shit on your own, which it seems you have, and I have no problem with that. It wouldn't be the first time, and it surely won't be the last — I'm good at being wrong.

by DeadHead on Sun Sep 15, 2013 at 12:13:09 AM PDT

•  Um. I'm finally following your logic. I think. (1+ / 0-)
              DeadHead

Worse, you may be right. ;) The logic of "bluff with the threat of a strike to scare them into sanity" was certainly not one of the possibilities most people were seeing up front.

I think you could have made that case quite solidly without that particular reference, though.

by serendipityisabitch on Sun Sep 15, 2013 at 12:58:16 AM PDT

•  Point taken. (3+ / 0-)

"Nutpicking" comments to use in support of one's position isn't the best way of doing it, I admit.

Believe me, I'm thankful things turned out as they did, though in my opinion, the process was messy.

To pretend things all went according to some master plan, or that people didn't knee-jerk their way onto the missile strike bandwagon seems a bit much, and that particular example was fresh in my mind.

by DeadHead on Sun Sep 15, 2013 at 01:56:08 AM PDT

• Education (23)
  • Spam (23)
  • Congress (23)
  • Civil Rights (22)
  • Labor (21)
  • Barack Obama (21)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (21)
  • Law (20)
  • Texas (20)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site