View Diary: Navy Yard shooting not likely to make gun-safety advocates' task easier (162 comments)

•  As so many commentators have pointed out... (8+ / 0-)

...the problem is the intensity of the supporters of more gun restrictions vs. that of the opponents. Until that ratio is reversed, we're unlikely to see much progress.

by Meteor Blades on Tue Sep 17, 2013 at 08:14:59 AM PDT

•  We have to prove that we can turn out voters (3+ / 0-)

Any politician who is on the side of gun regulations but is "wobbly" is going to point at the results of the recall elections in Colorado. The wobbly pols will conclude that when the going gets tough and the NRA sounds the battle-alarm, 'their' voters always vote and 'ours' often don't.

We have an uphill battle until we can point to several elections in which we either drive a gun fetishist out of office or help the victory of someone who supports reasonable gun regulations.

After we have those several successes under our belts, and only then, we will be able to say those Colorado recall elections were an outlier.

Please help to fight hunger with a donation to Feeding America.

by MJB on Tue Sep 17, 2013 at 08:27:28 AM PDT

•  senate? uphill? (2+ / 0-)
        LilithGardener, Glen The Plumber

state by state? depends.

I think the Bloomberg side made very significant progress in some states,” said Dave Kopel, a lawyer and the Second Amendment project director at the Independence Institute, a research group.

“When you look at the state scoreboard,” Mr. Kopel said, “they’re roughly in a position of parity this year, which is doing well for them.”

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it!" — Upton Sinclair

by Greg Dworkin on Tue Sep 17, 2013 at 09:14:00 AM PDT

•  That "progress" was before the Colorado recalls (2+ / 0-)
          Mark Mywurtz, LilithGardener

and even some of that was really low-hanging fruit like barring gun sales to people diagnosed with mental illness or convicted in domestic-violence cases.

Maybe tiny victories are encouraging, but they are nonetheless tiny.

The quote at the end of that NYT article is more relevant, I think:

“But I think it’s going to take a long time. Colorado is a true test for those actually in the trenches, but it might also be a wake-up call — nothing is easy, and pouring money in from Bloomberg is not a magic solution.”

Please help to fight hunger with a donation to Feeding America.

by MJB on Tue Sep 17, 2013 at 03:14:03 PM PDT

•  all true but not the end of the story (3+ / 0-)
            Mark Mywurtz, LilithGardener, MJB

no one at our end of the country (Newtown CT) thought this was going to be easy. None of us are done working on it.

by Greg Dworkin on Tue Sep 17, 2013 at 06:08:27 PM PDT

•  Marathons are run one tiny step at at time. (1+ / 0-)
            MJB

Some of us who have experience with guns were asleep at the watch. I grew up with guns and was taught by my father to shoot straight at the age of 10. I also have small arms training in the military, and I appreciate how much fun shooting sports can be. Shooting sports offer all the same satisfactions and benefits of other sports.

Now I live in NYC, unarmed, (by choice). There are a lot of people like me who weren't paying attention to SCOTUS or to Heller, or to all the states who have been loosening their firearms laws until Sandy Hook.

E.g. when I started studying I was shocked to discover that fewer than half the states have laws prohibiting sale of a gun to someone under the influence of alcohol.

A silent majority has been awakened in the past year or so. I am among those who are no longer willing to accept dogma about the NRA and will work to reject and discredit the many false memes that have been established about guns.

"They did not succeed in taking away our voice" - Angelique Kidjo - Opening the Lightning In a Bottle concert at Radio City Music Hall in New York City - 2003

by LilithGardener on Wed Sep 18, 2013 at 06:44:32 AM PDT