View Diary: Limbaugh Comes Out Against Drinking Water (117 comments)

•  Well, he's wrong about most of this (25+ / 0-)

But especially wrong about water being more expensive than gas. I can't drink the water from my tap because it's disgusting. If I'm out of bottled water I have to let a gallon of water sit out for 24 hours for all the crap to fall to the bottom. Most of the time I boil it first, just for the hell of it.

Otherwise, I buy a two-gallon jug of water each week and it costs somewhere between one or two bucks. Compared to almost $4/gallon for gas, that's not bad.

I love drinking water, and I love it even more now that I know it's a liberal plot driven by my not-so-secret crush.

P.S. I am not a crackpot.

by BoiseBlue on Tue Sep 17, 2013 at 02:48:42 PM PDT

•  My water isn't that bad so I can use a water (9+ / 0-)

filter system.  It is a large carafe that sits in the refrigerator.  I replace an $8 filter every 3 months.

•  Depends (4+ / 0-)
      emeraldmaiden, elwior, sfbob, BoiseBlue

I agree that the large containers will indeed be cheaper than gas but many of the "designer" type bottled waters are indeed more expensive.

In my local national chain supermarket, a 75cl bottle of Evian is 83p or £1.10 a litre. The cheapest petrol is £1.38 a litre however remember that in the UK there is both a fuel tax and purchase tax (VAT) included in that price - roughly 80p in total.

In contrast their "own brand" bottled water in 2L containers works out at 12p per litre.

His other point is actually true about many bottled waters that are not "bottled at source" or spring. Coca-Cola's Desani is literally tap water which is filtered and then has a standard formula of "natural" minerals etc added back to ensure consistent taste. Fortunately UK consumers are not quite the suckers they are used to which is why, after this was revealed, they pulled Desani from the market here.

We will work, we will play, we will laugh, we will live. We will not waste one moment, nor sacrifice one bit of our freedom, because of fear.

by Lib Dem FoP on Tue Sep 17, 2013 at 03:33:12 PM PDT

•  We pretty much only get bottled water (1+ / 0-)
        elwior

if we're out and about and need to re-hydrate; we use tap water at home, and even though I've heard it's bad to do we reuse the bottled water bottles because they fit our car's cup/bottle holder better than any of our permanent bottles (I have a Camelbak that I can put in the side pocket of my daypack when I'm out and about on transit).

by Cali Scribe on Tue Sep 17, 2013 at 05:28:51 PM PDT

•  Absolutely (0+ / 0-)

Those "smart water" bottles really irk me, and I only buy a single-serving bottle of water if I'm in a pinch.

P.S. I am not a crackpot.

by BoiseBlue on Tue Sep 17, 2013 at 05:54:00 PM PDT

•  Actually true (0+ / 0-)

about Dasani and Pepsi's Aquafina brands.  It even used to say so on their labels:  "Source: PWS" - and PWS stood for Public Water Supply.  Whereas brands like Poland Spring actually list real springs as their sources:

Bradbury Spring, Kingfield, ME
        White Cedar Spring, Dallas Plt., ME
        Spruce Spring, Pierce Pond Township, ME
        Evergreen Spring, Fryeburg, ME
        and/or Garden Spring, Poland, ME

are all the sources listed on a bottle of Poland Spring.  Crystal Geyser and a few other brands have similar sources listed.  Those are the brands I try to stick to if I'm going to drink bottled water.

•  25 cents a gallon at many of the reverse osmosis (6+ / 0-)

dispensing machines, at least around the western US.

"Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana." --Townes Van Zandt

by Bisbonian on Tue Sep 17, 2013 at 03:43:31 PM PDT

•  If it's disgusting, that's because of our failure (4+ / 0-)

to support government, the stuff that Rush lambasts against daily. Also, you might want to consider that there's an incredible amount of packaging waste involved in drinking bottled water, and that there are lots of great filtering products on the market.

•  I'm no longer in Boise (2+ / 0-)
        elwior, Shippo1776

I live in a libertarian paradise these days, hence the disgusting water.

And, again, I don't buy single-serving bottles, I buy the large jugs, which I refill for a few cents a gallon, recycle, or reuse for camping trips/hikes in the desert with my dogs.

P.S. I am not a crackpot.

by BoiseBlue on Tue Sep 17, 2013 at 05:56:38 PM PDT

•  A faucit filter might help (1+ / 0-)
      elwior

Get the ones with charcoal in them, like a Pur filter. It reall yhelps.

Women create the entire labor force.
      ---------------------------------------------
      Sympathy is the strongest instinct in human nature. - Charles Darwin

by splashy on Tue Sep 17, 2013 at 08:50:58 PM PDT

•  My wife and I live in Boise (0+ / 0-)

and consider our Pur pitcher to be one of the best wedding gifts we received 13 years ago. We go through at least a pitcher a day during the week, when we're mostly at work, and 2-3 per day on weekends (along with the requisite juices, beer, and wine). Unfortunately the filters are getting harder to find. Everybody carries the faucet filters, but the ones for the pitcher take some hunting.