View Diary: Open thread for night owls: Memo to Washington—Occupy movement lives (74 comments)

•  I listened in the sixties,... (6+ / 0-)

...and I listened again to OWS.  Bernie Sanders, mentioned above, speaks that it is through education that things will change.  The traditional ways of education have been taken away.  The controllers understand this.  Occupy, like the sixties, was and IS a teaching movment.

Much of learning is recognizing that the idea resonates inside oneself.

Occupy is still here.  This kind of knowledge and understanding cannot be suppressed.

I disagree somewhat with Richard Eskow.  Perhaps he just needs to protect his position as a pundit.  I disagree that Obama understood and went along with Occupy.  I believe Obama was as frightened by Occupy as the Republicans and all the Status Quo-ites; he played an important role in 'allowing' the brutal police tactics which destroyed it, IMO.

It is clear to me that there will not be the kind of change required now, from within the usual institutions.  This is what makes Occupy relevant and alive today, just waiting for another chance, the next opportunity.  Unless our wrong-headed activities destroy the planet first, the next opportunity for evolution will come along.  May we be ready to go with it.

"...capitalism is rudderless. It has no reliable indicators. Everything is rigged..." Paul Craig Roberts

by dharmasyd on Tue Sep 17, 2013 at 09:40:25 PM PDT

•  What killed OWS in my area... (1+ / 0-)
      Aquarius40

was the superior air with which the younger people regarded themselves and the poor way with which they treated those around them.  When people older than their peer group (college educated, early 20s) suggested things that could be done, i.e. professionals in various fields like IT, they were scorned or outright ignored to the point where they turned their backs on the older people.

These were interested, turned-on older activists who were turned off and ignored by the younger, who were actively shunned.  My own experience, as a mid-20s activist, who looks more in my 30s, was about the same.  In my area the police did not need to be called; the younger OWS people did all the damage needed to silence the movement.

"You have to let it all go, Neo. Fear, doubt, and disbelief. Free your mind." -Morpheus, The Matrix

by Sarenth on Tue Sep 17, 2013 at 10:31:10 PM PDT

•  Eh, (0+ / 0-)

copt in, copt out, copt all around.
             What's new? Neo ?

March AGAINST monsatanOHagentorange 3/25/13 a time warp

by 3rock on Tue Sep 17, 2013 at 10:59:50 PM PDT

•  The point is (2+ / 0-)
          Aquarius40, 3rock

if we want to actually have viable movements we need to not shut people out from the starting gate.

by Sarenth on Tue Sep 17, 2013 at 11:18:57 PM PDT

•  My friend (0+ / 0-)

I so totally agree with you. The many many reasons the physical Occupy failed.
                 co-opt in, co-opt out, co-opt all around.
                 Two of the many that stand out to me at 62 years old:
                1st: The old liberals who had blown it big climate time, i.e. the 2000 election downing Al Gore. Occupy became their cause, their salvation. Instead of listen to the younger gens. Their argument at GA that only they deserved to be at the front of the cart of the old, been there done that "Cart before the Horse" and the argument of the many causes; No they deserved to be at the front of the cart, who fell for salvation, to justify. The horse wandered off. The cart became firewood. The idea still lives on in the thoughts and spirits of many.
                2nd: It still blows my mind, I don't have an Occupy, 99% t-shirt. That the entire movement did not make simple t-shirts for the people and some of what the currency of the moment is, $.
                 Follow ME, an understatement.
                 The reason is Occupy was so thoroughly infiltrated. The physical wasn't the most important. No big deal.
                 The idea lives on.

March AGAINST monsatanOHagentorange 3/25/13 a time warp

by 3rock on Wed Sep 18, 2013 at 09:42:29 AM PDT

•  Thought I'd throw a curveball in (0+ / 0-)

I lived in SF in 83 or 84 (memory)
                  There was this homeless crazy person, I'd see from the bus, who would go into busy traffic & stand in front of cars yelling;
                  "Only I am god. No one else can be god because only I am god."
                  The last time I saw him, one leg was all bandaged up, he was limping but still in front of cars yelling.
                  Not to make light of, I felt sorry for him but at the same time thought, couldn't be good for the ego.
                  The amount of times since then, I've been in a discussion and "only I'' pops in :)
                  Insane as the homeless……  I truly am :)

March AGAINST monsatanOHagentorange 3/25/13 a time warp

by 3rock on Wed Sep 18, 2013 at 11:35:58 AM PDT

•  If I may, a bow to (1+ / 0-)
      dharmasyd

dharmasyd and everyone.
          Thank You. The coolest thing about DKOS is the people who will comment, who probably after learning how powerful DKOS is, by learning like I have of late, and throw a spiritual gem of a comment, in ever once in a while.
          I too 60s, I too Occupy.

Much of learning is recognizing that the idea resonates inside oneself.
          If I had the capacity to store things, in hindsight, not a sign of the many INCREDIBLE signs, would be thrown away. (king of the signs, top of the pile :) Wallpaper :) It'd be cool if for the third, every photo of every sign would be made into an app.
          The signs were so brilliant. The discussions so brilliant. The younger gens so brilliant. Whom I still bow to and Thank.
          Happy Birthday Occupy & many more :)

March AGAINST monsatanOHagentorange 3/25/13 a time warp

• Education (18)
  • Hillary Clinton (18)
  • Racism (17)
  • Freddie Gray (17)
  • Politics (16)
  • Barack Obama (16)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site