View Diary: Antibiotics used in livestock: Making us even sicker than we thought (120 comments)

•  bullshit (0+ / 0-)

1. you have demonstrated absolutely no knowledge of science

2. you are in fact following me around just to harass me

Elfling asked you to stop, I sincerely suggest you heed that advice.

•  asdf... (0+ / 0-)
      replying to you is not stalking you (0+ / 0-)

But please keep making a fool out of yourself with your false claims and scientific ignorance

by duhban on Sun Sep 08, 2013 at 08:15:28 PM PDT

[ Parent | Reply to This | Recommend Hide ]

'If you want to be a hero, well just follow me.' - J. Lennon

by Clive all hat no horse Rodeo on Fri Sep 20, 2013 at 12:09:32 AM PDT

•  Which part of your own words don't you... (0+ / 0-)

understand?

I'm in these diaries, and if I see you posting stupid shit, I'll reply to it. If you have a problem with that, stop posting stupid shit.

'If you want to be a hero, well just follow me.' - J. Lennon

by Clive all hat no horse Rodeo on Fri Sep 20, 2013 at 12:12:42 AM PDT

•  Without endorsing anything duhban's saying, (1+ / 0-)
        skohayes

in this thread, you're the one who looks like more of a dick.

I don't know how reasonable the stalking/harassing complaint from duhban is. But his first comment here was a reasonable opinion, civilly stated. Instead of addressing his opinion, you came back with an obnoxiously long comment, which said nothing (argument from authority; no substance). When he objected, you made three replies in twenty minutes, two of which were the same taunting blockquote.

I find duhban's first comment unconvincing: he doesn't articulate a strong rationale, and he provides no evidence. But your replies just assume there's nothing there, and proceed to dickishness. I can't see what purpose this serves, except to mock and irritate duhban.

"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth" Samuel Johnson

by Brecht on Fri Sep 20, 2013 at 12:27:52 AM PDT

•  duhban expressed doubt in the diarist's... (0+ / 0-)

conclusions, which after reading the paper it was based on, I concluded was nothing more than contrarian with nothing to back it up.

I merely suggested to duhban that if he had a problem with the diary (hence the paper), he should direct his queries to the eighty-two* co-authors of the peer reviewed paper (argument from authority; plenty of substance if giving a list of people to talk to is anything).

* Fuck me. I've never seen 82 co-authors on anything, ever.

The fact that the comment was long (I dispute the obnoxiousness of it) is merely testament to the large number of people who have chosen to put their name to the research. If duhban has a problem with their work, he should be talking to them, and not shooting the messenger as he so often does.

Assuming that 'there's nothing there' when it comes to duhban is actually a very efficient starting point.

'If you want to be a hero, well just follow me.' - J. Lennon

by Clive all hat no horse Rodeo on Fri Sep 20, 2013 at 12:51:48 AM PDT

•  I went to read the abstract, figures, and editor's (0+ / 0-)

conclusion of that paper. From what little we can see of it (and it being in Nature), it does look like strong research.

Still, in this thread, duhban appeared to be engaging in good faith dialog. He may have been unduly skeptical. I wouldn't say contrarian - he did post upstream as well.

Clearly, there is more history between you and duhban than I've seen. But your list of names was dismissive and unhelpful. You didn't respond to his comment, you knocked it sideways.

I merely suggested . . . he should direct his queries to the eighty-two co-authors . . . plenty of substance if giving a list of people to talk to is anything
            Since you're only being constructive, would you suggest that duhban phone, fax or email them? No, you were just being dickish - there's no substance in 82 names we've never heard of. I could find you 82 scientists who have penned climate-denial research.

If you'd wanted to talk to duhban, you'd have replied to the points he made. If the points he made seem mostly pointless to you, try ignoring them, and just walking away. If he's starting fights or breaking rules, call him on it.

All you did here is try to make duhban look stupid, and stir up a little unnecessary pie. You're either being disingenuous, or dense.

And since this is now just a waste of my time, good night.

"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth" Samuel Johnson

by Brecht on Fri Sep 20, 2013 at 01:25:26 AM PDT

•  Extremely small sample size (0+ / 0-)

of one population. As the abstract states, it was only 123 non-obese individuals and 169 obese ones, all from Denmark.

Your beliefs don't make you a better person. Your behavior does.

by skohayes on Fri Sep 20, 2013 at 04:33:22 AM PDT

•  If you have small samples, but a huge difference (0+ / 0-)

between the groups, you can still get a strong conclusion. In this figure, they say the difference in bacterial growth, between samples, occurred at significant levels. They are confident this wasn't just a fluke.

"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth" Samuel Johnson

by Brecht on Fri Sep 20, 2013 at 09:59:42 AM PDT

•  well good to know you are happy to (0+ / 0-)

keep on being a dick.