View Diary: The Death of Death? (15 comments)

•  How far can Larry Page (2+ / 0-)
    Cat4everrr, tmay

get his head up his ass?

Well, I was reading back in the 1960s about how the human race would live forever and at the time the idea had more than a little appeal. Fifty years later, not so much.

The only trouble with retirement is...I never get a day off!

by Mr Robert on Wed Sep 18, 2013 at 06:19:14 PM PDT

•  Living foreverrr (1+ / 0-)
      Mr Robert

isn't appealing to you?

When my cats aren't happy, I'm not happy. Not because I care about their mood but because I know they're just sitting there thinking up ways to get even. -Percy Bysshe

by Cat4everrr on Wed Sep 18, 2013 at 06:23:25 PM PDT

•  One more thing... (2+ / 0-)
      Cat4everrr, JeffW

Life expectancy has actually declined for many people in those fifty years.

All I can say to Larry is that he can look forward to his family pushing his remains into a retort or tossing earth on his overpriced coffin.

The only trouble with retirement is...I never get a day off!

by Mr Robert on Wed Sep 18, 2013 at 06:23:26 PM PDT

•  Wow (1+ / 0-)
        Mr Robert

LOL..I think I get your view on the concept

by Cat4everrr on Wed Sep 18, 2013 at 06:25:06 PM PDT

•  I'm cracking up over here (2+ / 0-)
        Mr Robert, Wee Mama

I feel so bad.  I've never quite heard it put that way before, "tossing earth on his overpriced coffin."  That quote is one for the books.  I'm going to feel bad for the next week for laughing at that.

by Cat4everrr on Wed Sep 18, 2013 at 06:32:12 PM PDT

•  Life expectancy now in the US (1+ / 0-)
      Cat4everrr

is 15% better than it was in the 1960s, about 10 years.

Progress is slow, but it still happens.  The hope - and I fair say, not unrealistic expectation - is that it's nonlinear.  That you get to a point where you're good enough at preventing or reversing age-related declines and random diseases that even small improvements have big benefits - wherein you don't get a 10 year lifespan boost every 50 years, but a 50+ year boost every 50 years.  Wherein it then becomes easier and easier to create effective immortality (barring accidents).

Personally, though, I more subscribe to a mind digitization concept for achieving immortality, using a Ship of Theseus approach.  Wetware is too flimsy.  If anyone has a way to self-assemble trillions of remotely-individually-addressible lipid-soluble neural probes (with the ability to read/transmit various chemical levels, trigger/suppress synapse, and cause apoptosis) so that one can saturate the brain, scan through identifying what probes correspond to each neuron and determining that neuron's connections, and one by one simulating each neuron and replacing its physical activity with its simulated results, progressively killing off each physical neuron that becomes surrounded only by virtual neurons, until the entire brain is only a simulation... then definitely give me a ring  ;)  You've got about 40 years to succeed, give or take.

More, if Calico achieves its goal  ;)

Já þýðir já. Nei þýðir nei. Hvað er svona erfitt við það?

by Rei on Thu Sep 19, 2013 at 07:50:20 AM PDT

•  That's a lot to think on (0+ / 0-)

I'm going to have to re-read your comment a few times to get my head around it; but I love exploring new concepts.  Thanks for contributing.

by Cat4everrr on Thu Sep 19, 2013 at 07:59:15 AM PDT

• Recommended (153)
  • Community (68)
  • 2016 (46)
  • Environment (43)
  • Elections (41)
  • Bernie Sanders (39)
  • Culture (38)
  • Republicans (38)
  • Hillary Clinton (30)
  • Education (29)
  • Climate Change (29)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (26)
  • Labor (25)
  • Media (24)
  • Barack Obama (24)
  • GOP (23)
  • Civil Rights (23)
  • Congress (22)
  • Spam (22)
  • Economy (21)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site