View Diary: "F*** You. I'm Gen Y, and I Don't Feel Special or Entitled, Just Poor" (209 comments)

•  Instead of belittling (15+ / 0-)

Mr. Weinstein, you might do well to direct your ire at the Masters of the Universe, ultrawealthy filth all, who have destroyed the social contract that previous generations built up.

Mr. Weinstein was sold a bill of goods, namely that if he worked hard and was successful, he would earn enough money to equal or surpass his parents' lifestyle.

Instead, while he labors his life away, he sees garbage banksters and filthy capitalist swine stealing his, and his family's, future. I think he's completely entitled to feel the way he does.

•  Sold a bill of goods? (5+ / 0-)

Who told him journalism would be a great ticket to a successful lifestyle that would surpass his presumably hard-working parents?

Mr. Weinstein sounds like a very smart man so even if someone did tell him this in the mid-90's I have to think that he has the innate intelligence to recognize that he is being LIED TO.

....and hes complaining about what exactly?

I’ve tempered the hell out of my expectations of work, and I’ve exceeded those expectations crazily to have one interesting, exciting damned career that’s culminated in some leadership roles for national publications. And I’m still poor and in debt and worked beyond the point where it can be managed with my health and my desire to actually see the son I’m helping to raise.
      So he does have a fulfilling and exciting job in his chosed field of study?  He is married?  He has a place to live?  He has a healthy son?  but but but... he finds himself having to work hard and long hours and barely make ends meet?  He has to rent instead of own property?

He was born in 77-79 acording to the article, putting him in his mid-30's?  Employed (in 1st choice of profession), married, father, I assume he has a car and an iphone and high-speed internet, ..maybe an Xbox, nice laptop since he writes for a living.  He's a navy veteran, lives in new york and works for major publications in print and on-line media.  FOr years he "bounced between SF and DC" for work and life until this part May when he settled into NY to attend graduate school and COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY.

....and he's complaining?  In his mid-30's?

If this rigged con-game of soul-crushing dehumanizing capitalistic nihilism has him so pinned down on the verge of defeat to the point where he is forced to weigh the health of his young child over his own financial stability... WHY THE FUCK DID HE JUST ENROLL IN AN IVY LEAGUE GRADUATE PROGRAM IN ONE OF THE MOST EXPENSIVE COST-OF-LIVING PARTS OF THIS NATION?

Yeah.. thats Gen-Y for you.  Down-trodden voice of the working man.  Why oh why isn't my successful barely 10-year old career not making my life easy while Im raising a family and attending an elite post-graduate university.... I mean I work SO HARD, its just not fair!!!!!!!!

Красота спасет мир --F. Dostoevsky

by Wisper on Thu Sep 19, 2013 at 08:45:01 AM PDT

•  God (2+ / 0-)
        Blue Dream, Nulwee

Could you drop the "... that's Gen-Y for you" crap?  Please.  It's dumb.  I think you have a point about this particular fellow, but do you have to use him as a template for everybody in an entire generation?  You had all types in your generation too (whatever it was).

Republicans: Taking the country back ... to the 19th century

by yet another liberal on Thu Sep 19, 2013 at 08:49:35 AM PDT

•  Yeah, "Sold a bill of goods". (11+ / 0-)

When you work hard and play by the rules, you shouldn't have to worry to the point of fucking distraction about "changing careers" or "saving for your kids college" or any of the other things YOUR PARENTS managed to do 30 or 40 years ago.

You're entitled to your opinion, but if you can't acknowledge that the economy has gone completely to hell since then, to the point where "working and playing by the rules" means neither jack nor shit to anyone, then your "opinion" is missing quite a lot of perspective.

And that's too bad. You may think you're justified, but you really read like a heartless person who wouldn't know empathy if it walked up and bit you in the ass.

This all started with "what the Republicans did to language".

by lunachickie on Thu Sep 19, 2013 at 08:49:51 AM PDT

•  I save my empathy for those that deserve it (7+ / 0-)

I've seen people do a hell of a lot more with a hell of a lot less then Mr Weinstein has at his disposal and not complain.

I'm not defending the status quo, far from it.  Im also only a few years older than Mr. Weinstein so this isn't some "get off my lawn" dismissal either.

But seriously, what Utopia do you think our parents or grand parents lived in?  Not have to worry to distraction about changing careers or saving for your kids college like "my parents" managed to do?

I don't remember my parents or my wife's parents or any of my friends parents not having to worry about this stuff.  Quite the opposite.   They worried constantly.  They worked multiple jobs and night shifts, and weekend pick-up work to make ends meet.  They saved what they could, bought things on layaway, did without, and made do with whatever they had.

The 60's and 70's weren't some magical dreamland where problems just disappeared... maybe for some but not in my family and probably not in a lot of other people's around here.

Красота спасет мир --F. Dostoevsky

by Wisper on Thu Sep 19, 2013 at 09:18:41 AM PDT

•  agreed (1+ / 0-)
            duhban

there never was a utopia. the 50's weren't some magical time for all either.

the divide between those that have lots and the rest of us has always been there.

-You want to change the system, run for office.

by Deep Texan on Thu Sep 19, 2013 at 09:24:56 AM PDT

•  Wow (7+ / 0-)

Just...wow.

No shit!

But the expectations set by parents at that time are simply not that much different than the parents of the 80s and 90s children. I'm 54 years old and I had the same expectations set out for me that Weinstein talks about.

You must have yours. Congratulations! I'll guarantee I busted my ass as hard as you did, and I don't have mine. Whether you're willing to admit it or not, we're all in the same boat. You might want to keep that in mind. This is not generational, even though the author's take on it uses that as his article hook (the rhetorical device used to direct eyeballs to one's writing), to respond to HuffPo's inane "survey" or whatever unscientific flapdoodle that "article" was supposed to represent.

This all started with "what the Republicans did to language".

by lunachickie on Thu Sep 19, 2013 at 09:30:59 AM PDT

•  While you were busy... (5+ / 0-)

...trying to figure out how to program the VCR, this generation was turning the internet into the greatest source of economic activity the world has ever seen.

They've received no benefits for this effort. Productivity continues to rise. Wages continue to stagnate. So, yeah, they're a little upset.

Some other thoughts:

Between 1989 and 2006, the share of teenagers who were volunteering doubled, to 26.4 percent from 13.4 percent, according to a report by the Corporation for National and Community Service. And the share of incoming college freshmen who say they plan to volunteer is at a record high of 32.1 percent, too, U.C.L.A.’s annual incoming freshman survey found.
        (Source)
        According to the [Millennial Impact] report, Millennials are volunteering in record numbers. 63% of survey respondents volunteered for a nonprofit in 2011, and 90% expected to volunteer as much or more in 2012 than in 2011. An astonishing 75% gave a financial gift in 2011, and 71% had raised money on behalf of nonprofits.
        (Source)

The average member of Gen Y carries around $45,000 in debt and their unemployment rate is 16.3%, and half the jobs they do have are part time. (Source)

35% of Millennials with jobs have started their own side business to supplement their income. 27% are already self-employed. Those lazy bastards! (Source)

They respect their elders. A majority say that the older generation is superior to the younger generation when it comes to moral values and work ethic. Also, more than six-in-ten say that families have a responsibility to have an elderly parent come live with them if that parent wants to. By contrast, fewer than four-in-ten adults ages 60 and older agree that this is a family responsibility.
        (Source)

[As of 2011] 47% of 16-to-24-year-olds are employed, the smallest share since government started recording data in 1948. (Source)

They are on course to become the most educated generation in history. (source)

I love hearing the antidotes from my parents on how they never, ever, tried to keep up with the Jones and only spent their money appropriately. Lovely. Please provide statistical proof.

The WWII Generation returned from that horrible war and built the institutions and infrastructure that made the U.S. the envy of the world. Now our bridges are falling down and you only need 10 minutes of day time TV to understand that for-profit colleges have stopped educating and started scamming.

What happened? What came between The Greatest Generation and Gen X/Millennials? Oh, right, you fucking Boomers is what happened. Thanks for trashing the place.

Please keep your whining down while we clean up your damn mess.

•  LMAO.... Im 2 years older than Weinstein (3+ / 0-)
          wmtriallawyer, Sparhawk, Deep Texan

I am GEN X motherfucker.  And I am cleaning up more than my share of this mess.  So STFU with the childish tear-jerking about your hard little life is GET TO FUCKING WORK.

If making ageist pot-shot insults about VCR programming makes you feel better, have at it.  I think I remember VCRs from when I was a kid.. I assume I knew how to program them back then.

Taking on $45,000 in debt with that kind of statistical probability of ability for repayment shows a profound lack of judgement.  Save your tips up from your night-shift table waiting job and try going to community college.  I would suggest a math-based course or "Applied Decision Making" if you think $45k of compounding debt is a sound investment for a 19-year old with limited job opportunities.

Красота спасет мир --F. Dostoevsky

by Wisper on Thu Sep 19, 2013 at 09:33:42 AM PDT

•  "You have no idea about student debt, (4+ / 0-)
            Sparhawk, Wisper, Deep Texan, duhban

underemployment, life-long renting."

Gen X here too.  This statement by Weinstein pissed me off...because at his age (33), I had six figure student debt (primarily from law school), had experienced quite a bit of underemployment in my 20s, and wasn't even in sniffing distance of owning a home.

I'm 42 now, and thankfully, things are quite a bit different.  But if one generation doesn't want to stereotyped, then perhaps they shouldn't toss out the stereotypes like Weinstein did.

The simple fact is a LOT of people in Gen X experienced the same sort of shit Gen Y is getting now...it's just that we didn't complain quite as loudly and there weren't that many of us for people to care.  Just like the latch-key kids we are, we figured it out on our own.

Cake or DEATH? Oh, I'll have cake, please.

by wmtriallawyer on Thu Sep 19, 2013 at 09:43:15 AM PDT

•  In the diary itself I said that Gen X were screwed (0+ / 0-)

so out of some sort of politics of resentment you've decided that Gen Y also needs to get fucked over? If you're a lawyer, that can't be the best thinking of which you're capable.

Governments care only as much as their citizens force them to care. Nothing changes unless we change -- George Monbiot.

by Nulwee on Thu Sep 19, 2013 at 02:44:29 PM PDT

•  The "Average" Member (4+ / 0-)
            FloridaSNMOM, JGibson, Nulwee, BYw

Carries $45K in debt.

When it's a few people, sure, that's individual responsibility. When it's an entire generation, that's a structural problem. When it's an entire generation, that means it happened by design.

Rhetorically, I was actually lumping Gen X/Millennials in together. I blame the boomers. I really do. I know I should be more nuanced than that, but the fact remains that Gen X/Y work their asses off and don't see the return that Boomers saw for their efforts.

Gen X/Y is more productive, more giving, they volunteer more, are more connected to their community and, ironically, more hopeful of the future.

Boomers didn't take the organizational steps necessary to elect and re-elect America's first African-American President. Boomers aren't the ones turning the tide on LGBT rights. Boomers aren't beginning to do the heavy lifting of ending the disastrous war on drugs.

The clean-up is already happening. The kids are already in charge. In 2-5 years, the Digital Natives will hit the workforce. The change that happens then will make all of our heads spin (preview: the person in charge of BMW's new artificial intelligence system is 19 years-old).

•  While I agree with you in theory (8+ / 0-)

"Boomers" didn't do this all by themselves. They're just the last to truly "get theirs". The truly greedy among them are just as scared as anyone else that they'll lose it, so they start lashing out.

But I can assure you, some of us boomers don't have shit, even though we worked just as hard. And yes, it is a mess. If we need to assign blame, though, let's put that blame where it belongs--on those specific entities which usurped our economy. Those people cut across the age spectrum.

This all started with "what the Republicans did to language".

by lunachickie on Thu Sep 19, 2013 at 09:36:41 AM PDT

•  Sorry, am I to understand (0+ / 0-)

that you're taking credit for developing the internet?

•  When you assume... (1+ / 0-)
        BYw

"He was born in 77-79 acording to the article, putting him in his mid-30's?  Employed (in 1st choice of profession), married, father, I assume he has a car and an iphone and high-speed internet, ..maybe an Xbox, nice laptop since he writes for a living."

Lives in New York, so unless he's required to have a car for his job, he probably does not have one. Smartphone, there's no way he can do his job wihtout it, so yes. Internet: I'm willing to bet he has a cable modem, the lowest speed available. And that he ditched the landline to save money.  Xbox? Doubtful. Laptop? Wow, so he has a device worth $300 in his possession, that he needs for his livelihood. The lucky bastard should quit bitching, obviously.

In other words, you're grossly exaggerating the lifestyle he's living.

•  The economics of jounalism/publishing (4+ / 0-)
      Wisper, Deep Texan, Nulwee, Sparhawk

have changed due to the Internet. Journalism is now like acting where a small percentage of the people in that profession make good incomes, and the rest don't. I worked in the MSM back when there were lots of good paying jobs because those publications were very profitable and could afford to pay good salaries. The internet has taken most of the ad revenue and the good paying jobs are scarce. If economic stability was his goal he should have picked a different profession. There are now more people who want to write than jobs and may who will write on the Internet for free. Add that to a declining revenue base for the traditional employers and the result is low levels of compensation.

"let's talk about that"

by VClib on Thu Sep 19, 2013 at 10:50:50 AM PDT

•  Weinstein did write about that quite clearly. (1+ / 0-)
        VClib

He came of age when there were people in journalism with good careers.  The commentator's didn't want to read a short essay though before they started spamming the comments here about the ridiculousness of journalists and sociology majors.

by Nulwee on Thu Sep 19, 2013 at 02:46:23 PM PDT