View Diary: The Weekly Weigh-In: Lovely Bones (37 comments)

•  Thank goodness it's good food season. (4+ / 0-)
    NormAl1792, Avilyn, HappyinNM, BadKitties

IIRC David Gregory once advised that if you were hungry, you should eat something you like that's also good for you. Apples, squashes, onions, root veggies, all available at their prime right now.

Glad to hear about the loss! That's at least 16 average-weight adult cockatiels you've lost there! (at 4 oz./tiel)

•  The funny thing is, I actually really like (3+ / 0-)
      allergywoman, NormAl1792, BadKitties

fruits and vegetables.  I can count on one hand the number of vegetables I DON'T like (which would be Avocado, Beets, Eggplant, and Kale), and I like most fruits too (although I'm not crazy about the tropical ones).

So really Spring-Fall should be ideal for me, food-wise.   I just need to plan and prep so that I have stuff on hand at home to make stir-frys or healthy snacks, or to have leftovers for work, etc.

My downfalls are sugar & margaritas :-)  But I'm relearning limits and healthy quantities (slowly).

The Girl Who Loved Stories
      I’m a feminist because the message is still "don’t get raped" not "don’t rape"

by Avilyn on Fri Sep 20, 2013 at 10:01:15 AM PDT

•  Well, sounds like you know what you need to do. (3+ / 0-)
        Avilyn, NormAl1792, BadKitties

Now it's just a matter of doing it. :)

•  Try very, very good tequila on the rocks (2+ / 0-)
        Avilyn, allergywoman

with lime. I have been drinking that for years. The thought of a margarita now is....ugh. It's the SUGAR that gives you a hangover. Try Corzo, Don Julio, Milagro...the silver is for beginners, then the reposado, then anejo. Some anejos are rich and smoky. Bartenders are usually a good source of information about tequila :)

Patron is a "starter" tequila. It's very mild. Squeeze the lime thoroughly.

For sugar, I eat two squares of Lindt, Ghirardelli, or Godiva 72% or higher dark chocolate every evening, VERY slowly :)

It's tough to wean off sugar. Good luck!! It will make a huge difference in calorie intake!!

"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -Susan B. Anthony

by BadKitties on Fri Sep 20, 2013 at 01:17:48 PM PDT

•  The best tequila I ever had was (2+ / 0-)
          BadKitties, allergywoman

Del Dueno Anejo - excellent sipping tequila.  Hard to find though, don't think it's being made anymore.

With the Margaritas, I like Trader Joe's margarita mix - it's not too sweet and uses sugar instead of HFCS, which is unusual to find in a mixer.

With the sugar, I'm not actually a big fan of dark chocolate (or chocolate in general).  White chocolate on the other hand, is one of the best concoctions ever.  :-)  I also like stuff like Mike & Ikes, or Swedish Fish, or Canadian Mints, or Jawbreakers or ... well, pretty much most candy that is Sugar + Artificial Color & Flavor.  Sad but true.  I've been finding sugar-free gum a decent way to combat the urge to snack though - my big weak point is my commute, which is an hour + each way, so grabbing something sweet for the car ride home was not uncommon.  The gum helps because I'm still chewing, but far far fewer calories.

The Girl Who Loved Stories
          I’m a feminist because the message is still "don’t get raped" not "don’t rape"

by Avilyn on Fri Sep 20, 2013 at 01:38:57 PM PDT

•  Trader Joe's tequila is awful :( (2+ / 0-)
            Avilyn, allergywoman

Well...dark chocolate is GOOD for you :) I LOVE Hot Tamales and Swedish Fish. I just don't buy them :(

Have you tried the Extra dessert-flavored gums? Supposedly, they're awesome.

I didn't like dark chocolate at first, but I got used to it. It's actually pretty good :) Try a bar with cranberries and almonds first. That might help :) I loved white chocolate, too. My father informed me that it is not actually chocolate and I was a Philistine. Lol :)

Never heard of Del Dueno. Will have to look for it. When we go to Mexico, I make a point of buying tequila I can't get here. Then we cry when we run out :p

by BadKitties on Fri Sep 20, 2013 at 01:46:12 PM PDT

•  Not their tequila, their margarita mix (sans (2+ / 0-)
              BadKitties, allergywoman

alcohol).

Heh.  This:

sounds a lot like my husband.  He's a dark chocolate person & says the "but it isn't chocolate!" with me.  I ignore him ;-)

I wish I could find the Del Dueno again - it was a secret Santa gift years ago.   I'll check out the ones you mentioned in your post above; I've been missing a good sipping tequila.

The Girl Who Loved Stories
              I’m a feminist because the message is still "don’t get raped" not "don’t rape"

by Avilyn on Fri Sep 20, 2013 at 02:26:32 PM PDT

•  I know you said the mix :) But if you're (1+ / 0-)
                allergywoman

tempted to try the tequila: don't.

Try the Corzo. It's very good, but expensive. Lunazul is surprisingly good for an inexpensive tequila. Patron is over-marketed and you are paying for that. Herradura is okay. Not great. I'd choose Milagro or Don Julio. You want 100% blue agave, of course :)

You could also consider switching to Martinis :-) Olives are a very good source of monunsaturated (good) fats :) Tito's vodka is very good, also Ceren. Salty, instead of sweet!

by BadKitties on Fri Sep 20, 2013 at 04:24:52 PM PDT