View Diary: Scene of the crime (56 comments)

•  The argument that violent video games leads (6+ / 0-)

some people to commit murder and go on mass killing sprees is clearly silly. However, I have to wonder about their less dramatic but still insidious effects of possibly numbing people, especially young people who are still developing emotionally and intellectually, to the horrors of violence, and hurting them psychologically. And it's not just violent video games, but violent movies and TV shows, graphic novels and comics, sports, etc., and our increasingly digital and device-based culture that appears to be turning some people into emotionally detached and numbed screen-starers. What are the effects of all that?

Is there hard data either way?

"Reagan's dead, and he was a lousy president" -- Keith Olbermann 4/22/09

by kovie on Mon Sep 23, 2013 at 07:09:30 AM PDT

•  There probably is hard data... (8+ / 0-)

but the zealots on both sides manipulate the data enough so that the issue, like so many things, gets muddled, and most of us are left wondering what to think.

As the parent of a 12-year-old boy, I do the best I can to shield him from senseless media violence in any form. But he's a 12-year-old boy, and he can find violence even when it's not readily present.

To wit: One of his favorite things to do in his NASCAR video games is race a car the wrong way on a track and have as many head-on, fiery collisions as possible.

I hate to admit it, but it's actually kind of fun to do.

How about I believe in the unlucky ones?

by BenderRodriguez on Mon Sep 23, 2013 at 07:19:41 AM PDT

•  there's no consensus (0+ / 0-)

leading me to believe that a. the data really are manipulated by both sides and/or b. there's not really much of a consensus.

Dawkins is to atheism as Rand is to personal responsibility- mperiousRex.

by terrypinder on Mon Sep 23, 2013 at 07:45:07 AM PDT

•  Heh (5+ / 0-)

When my 8 and 6 year old nephews visit they like to play an old street racing video game I have and one of their favorite things to do is run over everything in sight, be it mailboxes, light posts, other cars or pedestrians. That the game makes this possible without destroying your car means that they intentionally designed this ability into it knowing that many people would enjoy it. It is a bit concerning to me but they're not at all violent or mean in life so I just attribute this to children's natural propensity to break and be hard on stuff. I think that even at their age, they have a good sense of right and wrong and realize that it's just a game. I'm more concerned about more graphically violent games where you blow peoples' heads off and see blood spurting. I'd never let them play such games even if I owned any, which I don't.

"Reagan's dead, and he was a lousy president" -- Keith Olbermann 4/22/09

by kovie on Mon Sep 23, 2013 at 07:46:26 AM PDT

•  Well you gotta do something to entertain yourself (4+ / 0-)
        BenderRodriguez, zinger99, JBL55, rbird

in a NASCAR game. Going around in circles gets old after awhile ;)

"How come when it’s us, it’s an abortion, and when it’s a chicken, it’s an omelette?" - George Carlin

by yg17 on Mon Sep 23, 2013 at 07:56:41 AM PDT

•  back when "Zoo Tycoon" came out, I used to play (2+ / 0-)
        rbird, dufffbeer

with my then 9 or 10 year old niece and nephew, and they got a big kick out of building up a zoo with lots of people, then removing the fence from the lion cage so the lions could run around after the people--the lions would catch them, shake them, and throw them in the air a few times.

It was harmless fun.  I doubt either my niece or my nephew will ever grow up to release wild animals at the zoo.

It's no different than us older folks having "car accidents" with our Matchboxes, or playing "Army" with sticks.

•  Long history of blaming entertainment... (4+ / 0-)

Before video games, it was TV violence that was scapegoated.

Before TV, it was comic books.

Before comic books, it was radio serials.

Before radio serials, the scapegoat was pulp magazines.

And before the pulp magazines, people blamed cheap paperback novels.

I don't like a lot of the content of those violent video games, but considering the history of scapegoating popular entertainment, I tend to have a difficult time giving much credibility to efforts to blame video games.

Political Compass: -6.75, -3.08

by TexasTom on Mon Sep 23, 2013 at 11:09:54 AM PDT

•  heck, I've been playing video games since the days (7+ / 0-)

of "Wolfenstein 3d" and "Catacombs of the Abyss", and still, at age 52, play "Assassin's Creed" and "Battlefront" on my XBox 360. (The guy at the local Gamestop teases me good-naturedly that I'm "not part of his demographic".) And my favorite movies are all sci-fi, which tend to have pretty high body counts.

I'm no pacifist, but I've been against every US war since Grenada, think all guns should be tightly regulated and many of them banned (yes, I own a Walther PPK which I only use for target shooting), and think violence of all sorts is justified only in the name of self-defense.

Nearly all of us can tell the difference between fantasy and reality.  And for those who cannot . .  well . . . it's impossible to prevent "nutty".

•  In a college communications class (6+ / 0-)

The professor liked to repeat a lesson.  He would say that the industry position was that violence in video games, movies, news, etc, had no effect on people but that product advertisements and commercials had a massive impact on people.  He would then ask, which is it?

•  If violent entertainment caused killing... (9+ / 0-)

...Japan would be the most crime ridden nation in the world.

We have no desire to offend you -- unless you are a twit!

by ScrewySquirrel on Mon Sep 23, 2013 at 07:32:20 AM PDT

•  War Obsessed Society (4+ / 0-)

rather than focusing on a variety of media that is largely and broadly available and consumed in nations throughout the globe - it would be better, imo, to reflect on 'uniquely american' aspects

American society though has some quite unique attributes for a modern industrialized nation

1. War / Military Obsessed for several decades
      2. Lack of Social Support - especially health care
      3. Widening of Social / Financial Class
      4. Religious / Social Division
      5. "NEWS" infotainment consumption vs Rational Dialogue
      6. Grossly dysfunctional Political system

These are a few of the MANY aspects of US social system that could very well lead to:

... insidious effects of possibly numbing people, especially young people who are still developing emotionally and intellectually, to the horrors of violence, and hurting them psychologically ... turning some people into emotionally detached and numbed ...

"I want to keep them alive long enough that I can win them to Christ," - Rick Warren, Professional Greed Driven Scumbag

by josephk on Mon Sep 23, 2013 at 08:25:03 AM PDT

•  People stop caring just like they don't care about (0+ / 0-)

Each mass murder spree with a gun.

nosotros no somos estúpidos

by a2nite on Mon Sep 23, 2013 at 02:06:40 PM PDT

•  We're drugged and numbed (0+ / 0-)

Between all the bad stuff that people tune out of because it's too painful and all the ready distractions available these days, it's not hard to see how most people just tune out. Until it happens to you, it's easy.

I don't know if this is sustainable. I imagine not, like all the other ways in which we're living on borrowed time, e.g. global warming, the fake financial recovery, our crumbling infrastructure, an increasingly stupid populace.

We are slowly dying.