View Diary: Ich bin ein Amerikaner (97 comments)

•  Survival German (0+ / 0-)

- ein Bier, bitte.  One they don't teach in school.

If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter. -George Washington

by Tank Mountaine on Tue Sep 24, 2013 at 10:32:01 AM PDT

•  They taught it in my school (1+ / 0-)
      Tank Mountaine

But then again, I'm from Milwaukee, so maybe we're in exception in that regard....

The Bush Family: 0 for 4 in Wisconsin

by Korkenzieher on Tue Sep 24, 2013 at 11:13:06 AM PDT

•  Got my MA at UWM (0+ / 0-)

Great town, Milwaukee.  Sometimes they had a radio show broadcast entirely in German for the afternoon.  Can't remember the station.  Great memories from my time there.

by Tank Mountaine on Tue Sep 24, 2013 at 11:21:21 AM PDT

•  Got my BA there (1+ / 0-)
          Tank Mountaine

Poli Sci, but I took all the German classes there as well. Remember that radio show as well, but can't remember what station it was. It was mostly announcements for when the local German societies were celebrating Fasching or Oktoberfest, together with lots of traditional German music. Tedious, but great for the old folks from the old country.

The Bush Family: 0 for 4 in Wisconsin

by Korkenzieher on Tue Sep 24, 2013 at 11:37:15 AM PDT

•   I took a lot of German classes there too. (1+ / 0-)
            Korkenzieher

Glad to hear you did well with it and keep it going. Did you have Prof. Davis at all?

You really should get over here.  I know some of the classes in the UW system have summer abroad courses open to the public and are fairly inexpensive. You have to live in a dorm for a few weeks.  I see you have a kid from your Madison diary, so probably not an option.

People aren't that shocked over here when you speak German, even if you do it poorly. They are usually appreciative of the effort but will probably switch over to English if you can't keep up, especially in town.

by Tank Mountaine on Tue Sep 24, 2013 at 12:15:46 PM PDT

•  Should have done... (0+ / 0-)

I'm 51 years old, so my days studying abroad and living in dorms are long over. I actually speak German and definitely read German better than I did when I graduated. Thank you, Mr. Internet.

My wife and I went to Vienna last year. I could read everything, I could make myself understood and received a few compliments for speaking well, but understanding spoken Wiener Deutsch was not always easy. Again, there, lots of English speakers to help.

Not acquainted with Prof. Davis. The teachers I had, all of whom were brilliant, were Professors Schwertfeger, Moore and Rauscher. Dr. Rauscher was the department chair, and was universally beloved. There was a half-page obit in the Milwaukee paper when he passed several years ago. I was at UWM in the early 80's, so I suppose all of my teachers are gone, as none of them were particularly young at the time.

The Bush Family: 0 for 4 in Wisconsin

by Korkenzieher on Tue Sep 24, 2013 at 02:25:13 PM PDT

•  Prof. Schwertfeger (0+ / 0-)

by Tank Mountaine on Tue Sep 24, 2013 at 04:37:39 PM PDT

•  Astonishing (0+ / 0-)

I just assumed they'd all be gone. Apparently she just teaches graduate level classes now; I had her for a couple of 300 level classes. She's brilliant and funny and patient; one of those professors whose classes you'd go out of your way to take just because she taught it. It was always sort of funny. She has that last name, but she's Irish, with an Irish accent and sense of humor and charm. Meanwhile, Dr. Moore, a professor with a Irish last name, was a native German, with a very deadpan, German sense of humor.

That whole department was stellar at the time, really. No bad ones. Wish I could say the same about the Poli Sci department, which is where I got my degree.

Thanks for passing this along!

The Bush Family: 0 for 4 in Wisconsin

• Science (19)
  • Labor (18)
  • Education (17)
  • Elections (16)
  • Marriage Equality (16)
  • Media (16)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (16)
  • Economy (15)
  • Republicans (14)
  • Ireland (14)
  • Josh Duggar (13)
  • Racism (13)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site