View Diary: Daily Kos Elections Live Digest: 9/24 (337 comments)

•  Maine is another pickup opportunity (0+ / 0-)

Colleen Lachowicz would be someone I'd like to see try an uphill race against Susan Collins, but she might be too liberal for a statewide race in Maine (which is the least polarized state in the country) unless Collins were to be primaried and no credible independent/third-party candidate were to emerge.

My parents made me a Democrat. Scott Walker made me a progressive.

by DownstateDemocrat on Tue Sep 24, 2013 at 10:50:14 AM PDT

•  I really wish I believed Maine was possible (4+ / 0-)

Democrats missed a big chance to hurt Collins because of her vote for the Blunt Amendment. A serious effort to do this back in 2012 would probably have done real damage to her moderate cred. Now, it's probably too late even if they were inclined to. I think Senate Dems are terrified of losing one of the few (relatively) moderate Republicans and are never going to seriously challenge her, or even try very hard.

•  I can't blame them. (2+ / 0-)
        JBraden, MichaelNY

She really does look hard to take down. Nothing seems to hurt her credibility.

It'll be a different story if/when she retires. As far as I know, doesn't DHS need an official Secretary? Just saying... :]

"At this point, if the president came out in favor of breathing, [Republican leaders would] tell their caucus members to hold their breaths."--Jared Bernstein

by bjssp on Tue Sep 24, 2013 at 11:14:58 AM PDT

•  There are times... (1+ / 0-)
        gabjoh

...that I ask myself this question: What if I ran the Democratic Party?

If me and a bunch of other progressives ever got complete control of the Democratic Party, there would be no "protected Republicans" whatsoever. It appears as if Collins is the last one left in the Senate, and there's a bunch of them in the House (Mike Turner, Paul Ryan, etc.). We'd encourage competitive primaries, not discourage them. We'd run the party from the bottom up, not from the top down like the old guard currently runs the party. No organization officially connected to the Democratic Party (DNC, DSCC, DCCC, state parties, etc.) could take sides in a competitive primary barring "special circumstances" (i.e., a Democrat running in a competitive primary is obviously unfit for public office).

The national Democratic platform would be based on four core principles: "revitalizing the American middle class" (pro-collective bargaining, pro-progressive taxation, etc.), "protecting the legal rights of the American people" (pro-choice, pro-marriage equality, pro-marijuana, pro-Fourth Amendment, etc.), "making government less corrupt and more transparent" (pro-redistricting reform, anti-Citizens United, etc.), and "promoting a progressive foreign policy" (i.e., isolationist foreign policy)

My parents made me a Democrat. Scott Walker made me a progressive.

by DownstateDemocrat on Tue Sep 24, 2013 at 11:33:25 AM PDT

•  This may not be the right (6+ / 0-)

place to discuss this, but isolationism is not progressive foreign policy IMO.  It sure as hell wasn't leading into World War 2, when FDR had to navigate around a powerful isolationist bloc in both parties.

It's a false choice to suggest that isolationism is the only alternative to Bush/neocon type bombast and overreach.

38, MD-8 (MD-6 after 2012) resident, NOVA raised, Euro/Anglophile Democrat

by Mike in MD on Tue Sep 24, 2013 at 11:36:30 AM PDT

•  One issue is that fundraising for the DSCC and (3+ / 0-)
          jncca, Skaje, MichaelNY

DCCC would dry up if they didn't protect incumbents against primary challengers.  What pol is going to donate to an org that's not committed to fight for him or her?

One should no more deplore homosexuality than left-handedness. ~Towards a Quaker View of Sex, 1964 (Proud left-handed queer here!) SSP: wmlawman

by AUBoy2007 on Tue Sep 24, 2013 at 12:28:26 PM PDT

•  The whole point of that (0+ / 0-)

...is to encourage primary challenges against incumbent Democrats who are not popular within their own party. Obviously, party backing (DCCC, DSCC, or otherwise) of a Democratic candidate in a Republican-held seat before the primary would be off-limits barring "special circumstances".

I would set up the Democratic Party to fight for progressive values and not Democratic incumbents.

My parents made me a Democrat. Scott Walker made me a progressive.

by DownstateDemocrat on Tue Sep 24, 2013 at 12:46:14 PM PDT

•  DKE (9+ / 0-)

does not exist so that you have a platform to endlessly talk about "corporate Dems" and how you'd "reform the party" and all the other extremely policy-related things you talk about.  Do you even know what DKE is about?  We have a policy thread now, please use it.  Or just comment in main-page dailykos diaries, I think you'll find a far more receptive audience.

•  It isn't like Tom Allen was a nobody. (2+ / 0-)
        James Allen, MichaelNY

We had a good candidate in a great year. We would have won then if we could.

Ethnically Bostonian lifelong New Yorker

by R30A on Tue Sep 24, 2013 at 01:22:27 PM PDT

•  Susan Collins (5+ / 0-)
      jncca, R30A, itskevin, DCCyclone, MichaelNY

The ideology of her opponent, whoever it may, be will have zero impact on her chances of being re-elected.

"What do you mean "conspiracy"? Does that mean it's someone's imaginings and that the actual polls hovered right around the result?" - petral

by conspiracy on Tue Sep 24, 2013 at 12:13:28 PM PDT

•  if it was possible we'd have won (2+ / 0-)
      jncca, MichaelNY

or even been somewhat competitive in 2008.

by James Allen on Tue Sep 24, 2013 at 12:22:27 PM PDT

•  Excuse me (5+ / 0-)
      AUBoy2007, Tayya, R30A, DCCyclone, MichaelNY

I don't want my State Senator going anywhere. We worked hard to get her into the State Senate, and I think she should stay there for a while. If you want some Democrat to go on a suicide run, then get your own Democratic state legislators to do it.

(-8.38, -4.72), CT-02 (home), ME-01 (college) "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one." -Spock

by ProudNewEnglander on Tue Sep 24, 2013 at 12:43:33 PM PDT

•  Maine is a great pickup opportunity (6+ / 0-)

if and ONLY if, Susan Collins retires. Goes from 0% to 100%. Ok, that is an exaggeration, but only a slight one.

Ethnically Bostonian lifelong New Yorker

by R30A on Tue Sep 24, 2013 at 01:21:02 PM PDT

•  This is probably how Republicans (6+ / 0-)

Felt about Kent Conrad or Max Baucus for a lot of years.

"What if you're on a game show one day and the name of some random New Jersey state senator is the only thing between you and several thousand dollars? And you'll think to yourself, "if only I had clapped faster." - sapelcovits

by rdw72777 on Tue Sep 24, 2013 at 01:26:32 PM PDT

•  That's right, same as Snowe last year (5+ / 0-)
        R30A, James Allen, MichaelNY, abgin, gabjoh

Except King through a monkey wrench in the works......but he's been a reliable Democratic vote just the same, a good caucus member and much better than Joe Lieberman ever was as an actual Democrat.

45, male, Indian-American, married and proud father of a girl and 2 boys, Democrat, VA-10

by DCCyclone on Tue Sep 24, 2013 at 06:52:35 PM PDT

•  Not even an exaggeration (0+ / 0-)

Without Collins, I feel completely comfortable calling that a Safe pickup. There isn't even a credible Independent who would run, since Cutler wants to be Governor, not in the Senate.

25, Practical Progressive Democratic Socialist (-9.38, -8.51), Gay, IN-02 - Defeat Wacky Jackie!

by HoosierD42 on Wed Sep 25, 2013 at 12:45:24 AM PDT