View Diary: Feed an extra 4 billion: Grow crops for humans, not animals (168 comments)

•  I respect tempeh lovers, (1+ / 0-)
    cai

but myself, I just can't stand it.   More power to you, though!

Dogs from the street can have all the desirable qualities that one could want from pet dogs. Most adopted stray dogs are usually humble and exceptionally faithful to their owners as if they are grateful for this kindness. -- H.M. Bhumibol Adulyadej

by corvo on Sun Sep 29, 2013 at 06:09:39 PM PDT

•  I only like tofu when it's been made into (1+ / 0-)
      corvo

something non-tofu like, by, say, marinating and broiling it.

But I guess it's better than seitan, which, as the name implies, is evil.

© cai Visit 350.org to join the fight against global warming.

by cai on Sun Sep 29, 2013 at 06:11:34 PM PDT

•  de gustibus etc. . . . (2+ / 0-)
        cai, Munchkn

because I kind of like seitan.  Of course, I've never made it myself!  But there's a Japanese restaurant in Denver (in a godawful part of town, and part of a martial arts academy) that does miracles with the stuff, so I've been spoiled. :-)

by corvo on Sun Sep 29, 2013 at 06:21:35 PM PDT

•  Well, exceptions must always be made for (1+ / 0-)
          corvo

the people who are geniuses with a given food, but I like tempeh because I can throw it into all kind of sauces one might make with chicken and it'll be good.

Maybe if I had it cooked right I'd like it, but when I had it it squeaked when I chewed it.  Put me right off.  Granted, some of the sandwich slice things made with wheat protein (like Field Roast brand) are pretty good.

© cai Visit 350.org to join the fight against global warming.

by cai on Sun Sep 29, 2013 at 06:24:53 PM PDT

•  And there you go! (3+ / 0-)
            Ishmaelbychoice, cai, Munchkn

I tried to make a jambalaya with Field Roast chorizo, and ended up having to pick the bits out.   Couldn't stand them!

But that's the thing about vegetarianism that needs to be communicated -- urgently -- to the curious but shy meat-eaters out there.  You and I can have diametrically opposed tastes, but vegetarianism encompasses both of us!

by corvo on Sun Sep 29, 2013 at 06:30:08 PM PDT

•  I never tried the chorizo, because I never liked (1+ / 0-)
              corvo

pork sausage to begin with.  Their lentil-sage slices were good, but I think they tweaked the recipe to be less to my liking.  Ah well.

Sorry to disappoint you, but I DO eat meat.  But I don't eat it very often, and I almost never cook it myself.  Thus, I end up eating vegetarian most of the time.  I also try to buy what eggs and dairy I eat from animals that are well-treated and well-fed -- local eggs from chickens that get to run around, milk from pastured cows.

I think it's ok to say, "Yeah, cutting down is great!  You don't have to be totally vegetarian," or else most people will tune out the idea.  Even Bill Clinton, recently said to have gone "vegan" eats fish or eggs once a week.

But, as our previous conversation shows, YMMV.  g

© cai Visit 350.org to join the fight against global warming.

by cai on Sun Sep 29, 2013 at 06:36:48 PM PDT

•  I'm in a mixed "marriage"; (3+ / 0-)
                cai, tofumagoo, lurkyloo

my partner is an Iowa farm boy and likes his occasional pork chop.  So yeah, yesterday when I had Thai basis tofu at a wonderful restaurant in Middle of Nowhere, Colorado, I split an order of pork pot stickers in peanut sauce with him.

Tolerance is checking all of one's absolutes at the door . . . and I eat so little meat anyway. :-)

by corvo on Sun Sep 29, 2013 at 06:42:51 PM PDT

•  that's "basil tofu" of course. :-) n/t (1+ / 0-)
                  cai

by corvo on Sun Sep 29, 2013 at 06:43:43 PM PDT

•  There ya' go. (2+ / 0-)
                  corvo, qofdisks

There was a study awhile back showing that diets with a LITTLE pastured meat actually used less land than an all-veggie diet, because animals can be pastured on land unsuitable for farming.  People love their meat, well, then look into grass-fed and humanely raised, which are not only less torturous for the animals but also have a much better nutritional profile.

The way I look at it, two or three people cutting down on their meat consumption does just as much as one person going vegan... and it's a lot more likely.  One could look at the comments in this diary extolling bacon as disruptive... or one could accept that many people won't ever give up all their meat, and go from there.

© cai Visit 350.org to join the fight against global warming.

by cai on Sun Sep 29, 2013 at 06:54:45 PM PDT

•  Well, I'll be intolerant enough to say (1+ / 0-)
                    cai

that it depends on the bacon. :-)  There are tasty and reasonably well-and-humanely raised options, of course, :-)

by corvo on Sun Sep 29, 2013 at 07:17:06 PM PDT