View Diary: Abbreviated pundit roundup: food stamps, meeting Iran's president, Guantánamo still open (30 comments)

•  MB, as you said you have once "lived" (2+ / 0-)
    Stude Dude, figbash

on twitter, I wonder, if we all have to live there now, considering that Obama and Rouhani twittered, and the Kenyan military twittered right now that they have "something under control" (paraphrazed). Is the twitter the news system of "delivering diplomatic messages" between governments and to the world?

As I have seen video footage of Obama's first tweat ever performed on a twitter tow nhall meeting with the guy who wrote and owns it (a young guy with "pimples" (so to speak, not literally) and probably a couple of millions or billions (who cares these days about the digits of zeros before the digital point and the first significant number) on his account (saw the same with pimply Zuckerberg and Obama (yes, I am mean in my wording, I know), is it really necessary to accept that sort of communication tool as a given and do I have - so to speak - join them, because I can't beat them?

I find myself having to adapt to this twittering world and have not the slightest inclination to want to. Is something wrong with me or is something wrong with the fact that some twenty-plus years boys can within a couple of years change the world's information exchange structure and have power beyond any reasonable sense ?

I want these boys to be "put into their place" and that place is not being a billionaire for some little bit of intelligent coding and using humane nature to exploit the masses and influence political power.

Wow, I said it.

Good morning. Have a nice day. Thank you for your work. I always appreciate the round ups and lists here on dailykos.

"It's what you do, not what you say, that makes your nation" - some dude

by mimi on Mon Sep 23, 2013 at 04:52:35 AM PDT

•  yes, you should (5+ / 0-)

the quality of the tool is based on who you follow.

i use it to simultaneously follow health news and political stuff, and I enjoy tweets from david frum and a few selected conservatives to get an idea of their thoughts as well as my usual "reads" who tweet as well.

it's also a great way to find articles as authors you like tweet out links... and defend their work.

hey, start with pour me coffee  for some nice flavor. or @ThePlumLineGS  or @monkeycageblog.

You get the picture.

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it!" — Upton Sinclair

by Greg Dworkin on Mon Sep 23, 2013 at 06:03:13 AM PDT

•  hmm, ok, my salary depends a bit on me (2+ / 0-)
        figbash, Greg Dworkin

not understanding too much, because if I would understand more, I would go nuts and quit.

Just saying ... :)

I am on twitter, but it's something like a suitcase I left in a storage place. I am not going there to follow the people I once thought I would follow. OK, nuff said. I am going to earn my salary now. That doesn't involve twitter. Others have to do that.

Thanks for your kind response. :-)

"It's what you do, not what you say, that makes your nation" - some dude

by mimi on Mon Sep 23, 2013 at 06:22:01 AM PDT

•  I never said I lived on Twitter. That was... (2+ / 0-)
      FogCityJohn, mimi

...Ta-Nehisi Coates.

by Meteor Blades on Mon Sep 23, 2013 at 08:47:07 AM PDT

•  That was a brilliant piece, btw. (1+ / 0-)
        Meteor Blades

Thanks for highlighting it.  Coates is just an amazing writer.  Not only does he show tremendous insight, but the writing itself is just beautiful.  He has a superb command of language and writes with a precision few others can match.

by FogCityJohn on Mon Sep 23, 2013 at 09:20:14 AM PDT

•  Oh, I am sorry, should have re-read the diary and (0+ / 0-)

comments before. My bad. Apologies.

"It's what you do, not what you say, that makes your nation" - some dude