View Diary: New UN climate report set to establish global climate emissions budget (17 comments)

•  This is good if the leaks are accurate, but... (5+ / 0-)

...as Joe Romm has noted many times, the IPCC reports are obsolete from the moment they are published and the numbers they present are too conservative.

That's not a diss, at least not from me, of the difficult work the Working Groups do. It's really hard to make calculations and there is tremendous political pressure. Still, it's good to know, as we have seen so far, that every forecast has understated the impacts (with the except of the Himalaya glacier melt mistake).

by Meteor Blades on Tue Sep 24, 2013 at 12:02:00 PM PDT

•  it's the nature of science especially in this (5+ / 0-)

rapidly evolving climate to be a step behind. But, as Bill has shown with the xl opposition those with common sense which is backed by science can see a way forward.

Macca's Meatless Monday

by VL Baker on Tue Sep 24, 2013 at 12:22:50 PM PDT

•  When I was at the Draw the Line event in (3+ / 0-)
        VL Baker, LinSea, PeterHug

Seattle I learned much more about the Trans-Pacific Partnership that is due for a fast track vote in early Oct.  (best guess).  This free trade agreement frightens the hell out of me and has the potential to derail many of of the environmental successes that have been made over the years by creating a corporate court that has precedence over national courts like SCOTUS.  It would also grant corporations the right to sue governments for passing laws that hit their bottom line in order to recover their lost and/or projected profits.  I hope to write a diary on this soon.  This seems to be progressing under the radar.   It is NATFTA on steroids.

If we really want to straighten out all this crap we really need to think about shit - Holy Shit.

by John Crapper on Tue Sep 24, 2013 at 03:46:07 PM PDT

•  frightens me too, John. i wrote about it (3+ / 0-)
          LinSea, John Crapper, PeterHug

here. If it gets approved i don't see how we could ever reverse it ..the losses would be too great.

Macca's Meatless Monday

by VL Baker on Tue Sep 24, 2013 at 04:48:24 PM PDT

•  if you write about it write soon because (3+ / 0-)
          LinSea, John Crapper, PeterHug

the comment period will expire tomorrow!  See my diary above

Macca's Meatless Monday

by VL Baker on Tue Sep 24, 2013 at 04:49:24 PM PDT

•  Missed this when you posted. Thanks for (2+ / 0-)
            PeterHug, VL Baker

bringing to my attention.  Won't be able to pull something
            together that soon though.  Still can work towards getting people to call in to reps and senators to urge to vote no.
            It's a busy time for me as school is just starting back for me and it takes a lot of time for me during start up of classes.  Will work for posting next few days.

by John Crapper on Tue Sep 24, 2013 at 09:26:36 PM PDT

• Congress (23)
  • Spam (23)
  • Labor (22)
  • Barack Obama (22)
  • Civil Rights (22)
  • Science (21)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (21)
  • Texas (20)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site