View Diary: Home Depot takes away health insurance (285 comments)

•  My dad is a part time worker at HD and was telling (10+ / 0-)

me about this yesterday and isn't really positive where he (or my mom and brother who are also on his insurance) go from here.

I do know that the insurance he had from HD was expensive and terrible and barely paid for shit, he was stuck with a massive bill after treatment for prostate cancer that the insurance company didn't pick up. They were able to make arrangements on it, but more importantly he's got a clean bill of health and that's all that really matters at the end of the day.

Hopefully the exchanges will be better and cheaper, because I know his insurance is shit. I haven't been paying much attention to the exchanges since I have pretty good insurance through my employer, but if anyone has some links or other info I could pass along to my dad it would be much appreciated. Thankfully, he's a lifelong Democrat and Obama supporter, so he's blaming the greedy asshole CEOs for the change and not the President ;)

"How come when it’s us, it’s an abortion, and when it’s a chicken, it’s an omelette?" - George Carlin

by yg17 on Thu Sep 26, 2013 at 06:56:02 AM PDT

•  healthcare.gov n/t (6+ / 0-)

Please don't dominate the rap, Jack, if you got nothin' new to say - Grateful Dead

by Cedwyn on Thu Sep 26, 2013 at 07:43:25 AM PDT

•  Thanks, I checked that out. (3+ / 0-)
        Glen The Plumber, high uintas, saluda

Some good info on there. Sounds like we should know more October 1st.

I know the big concern for my parents is not being able to see the same doctors they currently do, but it's my understanding that these plans are offered by the likes of United Healthcare and the other big insurance companies that their doctors already accept, so that likely would not be an issue, correct?

by yg17 on Thu Sep 26, 2013 at 07:50:54 AM PDT

•  The Exchange plans are more limited... (0+ / 0-)

...in the provider networks for most insurers than as under some of the insurers' other plans. Your parents should research ahead of time whether the Exchange plan they choose will cover their favorite doctors and hospitals.

I was looking at the California Exchange plans and while Covered California didn't yet provide a direct link to providers under each plan, three out of four of the insurance companies had direct links on their company websites to look up providers for the Exchange plans.

•  Start at healthcare.gov (3+ / 0-)

The insurance market is broken up by state, no one would change that mess, so the long answer to your question is "it depends upon where you live".  Some states will have functioning exchanges as of October 1 and others are fighting tooth and nail to block it.  Start at
      enter your state at the bottom of the page and go from there.  Good luck.

•  I'm not sure your last statement is correct (1+ / 0-)
        Kokomo for Obama

I'm fairly certain that any State that hasn't started their own exchange by now has already opted to have the Feds run the exchange so that all you need to do is visit Healthcare.gov to get your insurance starting Oct 1.

"It was believed afterward that the man was a lunatic, because there was no sense in what he said." "The War Prayer" by Mark Twain

by Quanta on Thu Sep 26, 2013 at 10:09:45 AM PDT

•  I just got a call from a friend (4+ / 0-)
      saluda, askew, Aquarius40, Cedwyn

Two parents, three children no ins. They just got their policy inf from ACA. They will all have ins for $350 a month! They are ecstatic! Tell your dad that there is hope out there.

And daddy won't you take me back to Muhlenberg County Down by the Green River where Paradise lay. Well, I'm sorry my son, but you're too late in asking Mister Peabody's coal train has hauled it away. John Prine

by high uintas on Thu Sep 26, 2013 at 09:22:30 AM PDT

•  Thats good to hear. I'm pretty sure (1+ / 0-)
        high uintas

his current costs are around the $300-400 mark.

by yg17 on Thu Sep 26, 2013 at 09:25:40 AM PDT