View Diary: High school soccer game cancelled after man shows up with a holstered pistol (320 comments)

•  I think they are both a problem (14+ / 0-)

Especially since Utah's minimalist instruction gets you a permit in half the country. I can see a person having a legitimate carry need, but they should have to qualify for it under stringent standards that include a demonstration they can actually shoot well.

But I do think Open carry is especially odious for civilians. There is just no good reason.

•  I agree, but (45+ / 0-)

I see them as two separate issues.
      Concealed carry worries me in the context of say, a nightclub or town hall meeting, you have no idea when or where shooting will start. But that's not intimidation, it's an actual existential threat.
      The Open Carry Bullies are making a political point (they think) and forcing their views, their bloody hobby on the rest of us.
      These are people that don't understand that the majority of us don't want to be around guns, we feel that guns are dangerous. And we go out of our way to avoid guns and people who have guns. They want to make it so that we can't avoid proximity to guns and don't care if that makes everyone around them nervous. In fact, it is exactly why they do it, to intimidate.
      Sorry for the rant, I've had it with gunloons and their bullying tactics.

If I ran this circus, things would be DIFFERENT!

by CwV on Fri Sep 27, 2013 at 11:54:47 AM PDT

•  I'm glad you clarified OCB (6+ / 0-)

I thought it was Open Carry Buttholes at first.

The core of the Daily Kos behavior guide is simple: don't be a dick.~Kos

by theBreeze on Fri Sep 27, 2013 at 12:03:31 PM PDT

•  Open carry is a threat. (12+ / 0-)

The only reason to carry a weapon openly visible is to strike fear into everyone that sees you. Sure works on me.

I'm still mad about Nixon.

by J Orygun on Fri Sep 27, 2013 at 02:44:40 PM PDT

•  There's another dozen Kossacks who cry: (6+ / 0-)

CONCEALED CARRY IS WRONG!!  I HAVE A RIGHT TO KNOW WHO'S A THREAT TO ME!!

So which is it?
          The Scarlet Letter, or DADT?

The country was in peril; he was jeopardizing his traditional rights of freedom and independence by daring to exercise them.” ~ Joseph Heller, Catch-22

by 43north on Fri Sep 27, 2013 at 02:58:08 PM PDT

•  There are a bunch of Kossacks (7+ / 0-)

that are gun bullies, too.
            Personally, I don't believe that people should be walking around armed, whether it's open or concealed. There is no good reason for 99% of the people out there to carry lethal weapons in the course of a normal day. Any fantasy that they do so for self protection is contradicted by the fact that gun owners are far more likely to be hurt or killed with their own gun than non gun owners. The whole "Good Guy with a Gun" fallacy is pure vigilantism which is illegal and was, until recently, not at all acceptable.
            It is far too easy for people to get their hands on lethal weapons, too easy to get a license to carry it into places where guns do not belong, too easy for criminals to get guns, no accountability for the people who supply guns to criminals and people with psych problems and anger problems.
            We can't get past the gunloons to change the laws so shaming and harassment are what is left.

If I ran this circus, things would be DIFFERENT!

by CwV on Fri Sep 27, 2013 at 03:26:06 PM PDT

•  99% of people don't need to vote either. (2+ / 0-)
              FrankRose, oldpunk

We can't get past the voteloons to change the laws so shaming and harassment are what is left.

Your hate-mail will be graded.

by PavePusher on Fri Sep 27, 2013 at 04:30:30 PM PDT

•  ??? (4+ / 0-)
                TheFern, tgrshark13, Plox, Sandino

Does this make any sense?

If I ran this circus, things would be DIFFERENT!

by CwV on Fri Sep 27, 2013 at 04:45:24 PM PDT

•  Simply extrapolating your reasoning.... (4+ / 0-)
                  Tom Seaview, FrankRose, oldpunk, CarlosJ

to other Constitutional Rights to see if it really was as ridiculous as your initial statement sounded.

Your hate-mail will be graded.

by PavePusher on Fri Sep 27, 2013 at 04:53:12 PM PDT

•  not that I can see. (1+ / 0-)
                  CwV

I don't know what type of person declares that only 1% of the people have a need to vote.  I wonder who comprises the 1% with that need.  My guess his is just another comment intended to muck up the comments in a diary which conflicts with his opinions.

"Goodnight, thank you, and may your God go with you"

by TheFern on Fri Sep 27, 2013 at 04:57:23 PM PDT

•  Well, yes. Ask any on-Message Kossack. (4+ / 0-)
                    TheFern, FrankRose, oldpunk, CarlosJ

There's those who think exactly as we do, those who will listen to "our brand" of Democratic thinking.
                    We're Kossacks - 1% of the Democratic Party - and the rest need to either follow without question, or STFU.

Independents?  Republicans?  Blue Dogs?
                    STAY HOME. YOU ARE NOT NEEDED and WILL NOT BE ADMITTED TO THE POLLS.
                    So we're inclusive, here's a little project:

Think of it as "Home Schooling" and use a shoe box, with colorful bits of construction paper ballots.
                    See?  Isn't representative democracy fun?
                    Now get out your glue...

by 43north on Fri Sep 27, 2013 at 05:36:59 PM PDT

•  I see you have answered my question. (0+ / 0-)

43North is the type of person who thinks only 1% needs the vote.  I have never felt the way you describe above.  I'm amazed that a person who describes themselves as progressive would, but then again the RKBA crowd never ceases to amaze in the tortured logic arena of debate.  So, carry on and enjoy your "crafts", as they persuade few, if any, to our side.  At least you will derive enjoyment from your irrelevant anecdotes strewn across these pages.  I'm sure you will continue to marvel at your wisdom as the rest of us slog away at our representative democracy  to try to create a more equitable society for our descendants.  One far away from mass shooters, ignorant open-carry yahoos, and sniveling concealed-carry cowards.  Now put the glue away, you've had enough.

"Goodnight, thank you, and may your God go with you"

by TheFern on Fri Sep 27, 2013 at 06:07:14 PM PDT

•  Ah, you know me well. (3+ / 0-)
                        FrankRose, oldpunk, CarlosJ

Why stop there TheFern?

Corporatist.
                        Peddling GMO poison to our children.
                        Wealthy 1 percenter.
                        Toothless redneck farmer.
                        Racist white supremacist.
                        Jackbooted thug, abusing the rights of the poor, the dark-of-skin, the immigrant.

Oh, and why not: Gun-toting baby-killer.

I mean, you're on a roll.  Go for it.  Why fight momentum?
                        You know me.
                        You pw0n me.

Exalt in victory!

by 43north on Fri Sep 27, 2013 at 06:19:56 PM PDT

•  I made a comment about satire elsewhere. (1+ / 0-)
                        43north

You really should look it up.

Your hate-mail will be graded.

by PavePusher on Sat Sep 28, 2013 at 08:20:48 PM PDT

•  That's total bs (0+ / 0-)

I've been around here a long time, and I hear a lot about turnout, but I don't recall ever hearing people round here argue for suppressing voters.  Ever.

I'm still mad about Nixon.

by J Orygun on Mon Sep 30, 2013 at 08:30:08 PM PDT

•  Both. (1+ / 0-)
            CwV

We (should) have the right to know someone is carrying.

And we do have the right to treat such a person as a pariah.

To put the torture behind us is, inevitably, to put it in front of us.

by UntimelyRippd on Fri Sep 27, 2013 at 04:41:56 PM PDT

•  I lived this, in a restaurant robbery. (2+ / 0-)
              oldpunk, CarlosJ

My (now) ex-wife blew a fit:

For ONCE, leave THAT DAMN GUN HOME.  We're going out with my brothers, and sister-in-laws.
              Fine.  There are some arguments, you just won't win.

"Family style" Italian restaurant:
              Plate of Penne before me, a 30-something sketchy white gun comes in, looking a little coked-out.
              Announces an armed robbery.
              Waves a medium frame .38 or .357 magnum around.

"Cash, jewels, credit cards, on the tables NOW.  Register, empty, on the bar."

A chorus of gasps: "Oh my god, he's got a gun!" is heard around the room.

The robber starts walking towards our side of the restaurant, and 3-vodkas into the night sister-in-law says:  "You have a gun, do something. I'm not giving-up my ring!"
              Yeah.  'bout that.

I look at the (then) wife.  Couldn't tell if it was guilt, or her counting the Federal Line-of-Duty death benefit in her eyes.

Now the guy is pissed.
              So am I.
              My pasta is getting cold, and I'm out of Chianti.

He stands at my right shoulder and says:  WHO SAID THAT?
              Sister-in-Law shrinks in chair.
              The robber has his answer.  The skinny chick with the dark hair and an empty martini glass.

He also has my Seecamp LWS32 snug in his nutsack.
              "Scrotum" for you medical devotees.

In the interest of full disclosure:
              The Seecamp is a gun designed for two purposes only -
              1) Killing people.
              and
              2) Being there when you can't have more gun.

The robber became reasonable, and in-custody by the Gendarmes, some 6 minutes later.
              Six. Minutes. Later.  "Armed robbery" call.

This in gun-free New York.
              Where handgun registration and licensing has been the law, since 1911.

The (now) ex-wife said:

I thought you left your gun AT HOME like I asked.
              I did.  You pointed to the Walther PPK.  It's at-home.
              You didn't say anything about the Seecamp.
              "I didn't know about the Seecamp."
              Pre...cisely.

by 43north on Fri Sep 27, 2013 at 06:14:42 PM PDT

•  I've had CC guys flash me a look when they (0+ / 0-)

wanted to scare me. I see OC as preferable, since I can see what the game is clearly.

“liberals are the people who think that cruelty is the worst thing that we do” --Richard Rorty Also, I moved from NYC, so my username is inaccurate.

by jeff in nyc on Fri Sep 27, 2013 at 05:53:15 PM PDT

•  My mother in law had a carry permit (2+ / 0-)
      marina, 207wickedgood

years ago, when she did welfare work in the projects in East St. Louis.  It never would have occurred to her to open carry.

The hungry judges soon the sentence sign, And wretches hang, that jurymen may dine.

by magnetics on Fri Sep 27, 2013 at 12:48:11 PM PDT