View Diary: Sci-Fi Fantasy Club: Which Ugly SF/Fantasy Ducklings became Literary Swans? (140 comments)

•  I enjoy some anime, but I'm not a fan, or informed (2+ / 0-)
    Ender, RiveroftheWest

I do have Akira and Cowboy Bebop, and I've seen Castle in the Sky - all fun. Also, all Miyazaki is fun; and mostly Fantasy. My favorite cartoon of all is Spirited Away - like Disney with better plots and characters, and real art.

"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth" Samuel Johnson

by Brecht on Mon Sep 30, 2013 at 02:01:17 AM PDT

•  From that list ... (3+ / 0-)
      Ender, RiveroftheWest, Brecht

.. people may argue about which is best, but its hard to dispute their top 3 ~ Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Planetes, and Cowboy Bebop.

Ghost in the Shell and Cowboy Bebop have long been mainstays of the Cartoon Network's "Adult Swim" anime block in the dead time of late Friday evening (though I originally saw them on Netflix DVD), and Ghost in the Shell is streaming on Hulu. Cowboy Bebop will be streamed next year at the Daisuki.

Also worth a watch is Pale Cocoon, a 24min one-off at Crunchyroll (which mostly specializes in subtitled anime from the current broadcast season in Japan). Crunchyroll also had Time of Eve from the same creator available for free streaming while it was rolling out, but now its limited to subscribers. Time of Eve is an interesting look at a future were robots have to display mandatory visual halos in public so they can't be confused with humans, and a cafe that subverts the system.

For a non-anime fan, it would be tempting to take Crunchyroll's 15-day free offer just to watch Time of Eve, making sure to set it to non-renew immediately so it won't start charging.

Support Lesbian Creative Works with Yuri anime and manga from ALC Publishing

by BruceMcF on Mon Sep 30, 2013 at 02:51:07 AM PDT

•  Then I'll check out 'Ghost in the Shell', thanks. (1+ / 0-)
        RiveroftheWest

Hulu is my main source of shows. I have no TV, and stopped getting Netflix, because either would devour too much of my time and attention. Hulu gives me my fix, but with limited enough choices that I keep it to a manageable level. Which is still twice as much TV as I ought to watch, I think. I do like waking up to The Daily Show or The Colbert Report.

It is "tempting to take Crunchyroll's 15-day free offer" - but I will be strong.

"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth" Samuel Johnson

by Brecht on Mon Sep 30, 2013 at 11:28:04 AM PDT

•  The other SF flavored series that comes ... (2+ / 0-)
          RiveroftheWest, Brecht

... to mind on Hulu tend to be young girls fighting against big odds, since that is one of the things that sells DVD/BD's in Japan.

But an advantage is that since series are made up of 25min episodes, its easy to sample the first episode and decide whether you are interested in it. Canaan is set in the near future with the results of an experiment gone wrong, Blue Drop is a different take on alien invasion, A Certain Scientific Railgun is espers developing their powers in "Academy City". All three of those also include more or less of some odd fan service that might annoy some viewers, and all three of them are somewhere near the borderline between SF and Fantasy. Stein's Gate is based on a visual novel with a time machine based on a broken microwave oven, but I liked it as far as time machine stories goes. Last Exile is set on a different world with a distinctive steampunk feel.

Most Crunchyroll content is available with ad-supported free-streaming, though the new season content is normally delayed a week for free streaming ~ Time of Eve was a special deal to retain some access to the originally direct-to-streaming short series when it was made into a movie in Japan for theatrical release. Since Crunchyroll does not do DVD/BD distribution, they can get niche series, like the whimsical Humanity has Declined, which is a difficult to describe mix of far future SF and Fantasy.

Support Lesbian Creative Works with Yuri anime and manga from ALC Publishing

by BruceMcF on Mon Sep 30, 2013 at 02:29:46 PM PDT

•  You're so well informed that I looked back through (1+ / 0-)
            RiveroftheWest

your diaries, to see if you'd written the book on SF anime. You write a lot, but mostly on trains, alternative energy, elections and serious things.

I enjoy trying the first episode of a series, and then deciding how my thumb points on the rest of it. Pretty inundated with new options this week, as all the fall series are starting up. With basic hulu I have to jump on at the start of the series, or I lose the thread. So far I'm liking Brooklyn Nine-Nine and Sleepy Hollow.

Thanks for sharing your extensive knowledge of anime, Bruce.

"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth" Samuel Johnson

by Brecht on Mon Sep 30, 2013 at 11:03:42 PM PDT

•  I've written about anime in the context of new ... (2+ / 0-)
              RiveroftheWest, Brecht

... media a little bit, but not about SF anime in particular, and nothing like as much as my weekly Sunday Train series on sustainable energy and transport.

this one talks a bit about the Time of Eve Kickstarter (part of why they are only available to subscriber at Crunchyroll).

Support Lesbian Creative Works with Yuri anime and manga from ALC Publishing