View Diary: Obamacare will double my monthly premium (according to Kaiser) (221 comments)

•  First year I have had health care in quite some (1+ / 0-)
    Smoh

time. Same for my wife. We just had a baby, so we got coverage.

We don't ever go to the doctor. So we never bought insurance.

Our son's insurance has not gone up, fwiw, it is just ours.

collards, meat, butter, sourdough, eggs, cheese, raw milk

by Tirge Caps on Mon Sep 30, 2013 at 02:22:51 PM PDT

•  Wow, just wait for the constant baby visits and (14+ / 0-)

mountain of vaccinations. I'll think you'll be glad about insurance during this new phase of your life. Congratulations!

Cats are better than therapy, and I'm a therapist.

by Smoh on Mon Sep 30, 2013 at 02:28:56 PM PDT

•  Tirge...with all due respect... (13+ / 0-)

I understand your frustration...but you seem to be taking this all at Kaiser's word, done little or no exploring, and then blaming it on Obamacare.

I'm almost tempted to HR for your title...its one thing to question..but to make an outright assertion with little or no foundations is pretty reckless.

Wonders are many, but none so wonderful as man.

by Morgan Sandlin on Mon Sep 30, 2013 at 02:29:12 PM PDT

•  then shop around. you have a baby now (11+ / 0-)

so you need to take care of yourselves, you can't just hope for the best for you when you are the caretaker - not just the baby needs insurance and care.

you won't know what you can get until tomorrow - and you should get the details in how your coverage has changed past $1000 less on your deductible - they are supposed to detail to you what changes have been made to the plan.

It also sounds like what you had is so bad it's not legal any more.

Use the websites.  Check out the exchanges, subsidies and levels of care that are available.  Just because you're used to not having care doesn't mean you shouldn't have it - it just means you've been in the shit buffet so long you think it's tasty.

•  "We don't ever go to the doctor. So we (16+ / 0-)

never bought insurance".

Uh, huh.

My house has never burned to the ground, so I don't buy homeowners insurance.

I've never killed anyone with my car, so I don't buy liability coverage.

I've never died, so I don't buy life insurance.

It sounds to me like you're not quite clear on the concept of insurance.

To put the torture behind us is, inevitably, to put it in front of us.

by UntimelyRippd on Mon Sep 30, 2013 at 03:11:46 PM PDT

•  That's why pre-existing conditions were never (1+ / 0-)
        samddobermann

covered.

Insurance is based on a pool of people both healthy and unhealthy. The healthy help pay for the unhealthy. If the healthy have a medical problem they are paid from the pool.

If you only buy insurance when you get a bad diagnosis or have an accident, then you have not paid into the pool but you expect to immediately get money from the other insureds.

It’s the Supreme Court, stupid! Followed by: It's always the Supreme Court! Progressives will win only when we convince a majority that they, too, are Progressive.

by auapplemac on Mon Sep 30, 2013 at 05:03:09 PM PDT

•  I tell you what. You and all the other smug (0+ / 0-)

assholes in this thread are really selling me.

Jesus, people. If you actually cared about this you wouldn't be acting like such condescending jerks.

collards, meat, butter, sourdough, eggs, cheese, raw milk

by Tirge Caps on Mon Sep 30, 2013 at 07:08:23 PM PDT

•  I'm sorry, but whereas I'm sympathetic to you (2+ / 0-)
          samddobermann, Tonedevil

with respect to some of the bile that's been spat at you in these comments, this one particular remark that you made is so far outside the realm of anything indicating serious thought about the matter that I couldn't find a polite way to address it. The attitude it represents defines the need for mandatory participation in the health care funding stream.

The conclusion of your diary, to the effect that the ACA doesn't seem to be something that helps ordinary people, is simply bizarre. Yes, you're going to be required to spend more money to get more coverage. That's exactly how your life would be if you lived in any of the civilized industrialized nations, where your taxes would be higher and your health care would be better. I'm sorry you are so bitter about being bullied by BHO into behaving sensibly, under circumstances that dramatically improve the likelihood that you'll actually get your money's worth.

To put the torture behind us is, inevitably, to put it in front of us.

by UntimelyRippd on Mon Sep 30, 2013 at 08:09:01 PM PDT