View Diary: We Accept Your Resignation (26 comments)

•  Cp - the elements of Treason are in the (1+ / 0-)
    jan4insight

Constitution. You should read it.

"let's talk about that"

by VClib on Tue Oct 01, 2013 at 03:00:26 PM PDT

•  I've read it, and I do agree with the (1+ / 0-)
      rbird

stated definition.

It's just that the Founders apparently never contemplated the idea that a faction would deliberately choose to sabotage the country on their own, without being agents of some hostile foreign power. We don't have much of a template for how to deal with that.

I tried to go online to find a similar bear head...but when I searched “Big Bear Head” it gave me a San Diego craigslist ad entitled “Big Bear needs some quick head now” and then I just decided to never go on the internet again.--Jenny Lawson

by SouthernLiberalinMD on Tue Oct 01, 2013 at 03:05:11 PM PDT

•  Regardless of what the Founders contimplated (0+ / 0-)

you could never charge a member of Congress with Treason for their non-actions as legislators.

We should ban the use of Treason here at DKOS as it is one of the most misused words. Since the ratification of the Constitution there have been fewer than 40 indictments for Treason, and less convictions. Let's get sensible on the use of the word.

"let's talk about that"

by VClib on Tue Oct 01, 2013 at 03:19:36 PM PDT

•  I said "or appropriate charges for.. (3+ / 0-)
      rbird, Horace Boothroyd III, Bronx59

..for taking down the government." I don't care what we call it.

What is so unnerving about the candidacy of Sarah Palin is the degree to which she represents—and her supporters celebrate—the joyful marriage of confidence and ignorance. SAM HARRIS

by Cpqemp on Tue Oct 01, 2013 at 03:16:54 PM PDT

•  Cp - there are no "appropriate charges" (0+ / 0-)

Members of Congress have broad immunity for their actions as legislators. You could never find a prosecutor who would be willing to charge a member of Congress with a crime because they didn't vote in favor of a Continuing Resolution, or to raise the debt ceiling. Those actions aren't crimes under the law.

It would also be good to curtail the misuse of the word Treason.

"let's talk about that"

by VClib on Tue Oct 01, 2013 at 03:22:37 PM PDT

•  Wow,.. (2+ / 0-)

Thanks. I just know in my soul that they are ignorant and dangerous. We can't sit by anf do nothing.

I realize there are elections, but they steal those. Now what.

by Cpqemp on Tue Oct 01, 2013 at 04:05:24 PM PDT

•  That is the question. (1+ / 0-)
            Horace Boothroyd III

by SouthernLiberalinMD on Tue Oct 01, 2013 at 04:47:18 PM PDT

•  It's actually interesting that there are no (0+ / 0-)

performance requirements for members of Congress. Both the House and Senate can expel members but, except for impeachment which is more difficult than expulsion, that all that can be done. Technically members of Congress don't even have to show up or vote for anything their entire term in office. My guess is that a member would be expelled if they didn't show up for months at a time. However, they can't be charged with any crimes based on their attendance, performance, or voting record while in Congress.

"let's talk about that"