View Diary: Senate Republicans divided on providing back pay to furloughed workers (116 comments)

•  Their reasoning makes no sense (5+ / 0-)

The money to pay them if they worked is there, so they should getbthe back pay.
    Funny story.
    I was walking the dawgs tonite and a guy asked if I was enjoying my constitutional.
    I said bastards.
    He said, what, I meant are you enjoying your walk?
    I said I thought he was talking about our government.
    We both laughed

Passing a law that the Constitution doesn't allow does not negate the Constitution, it negates the law that was passed. Secret courts can't make up secret laws. SORRY FOR THE TYPOS :)

by snoopydawg on Tue Oct 01, 2013 at 09:08:25 PM PDT

•  I always thought (0+ / 0-)

The morning constitutional was taking a dump.

Streichholzschächtelchen

by otto on Wed Oct 02, 2013 at 06:16:52 AM PDT

•  For the dogs, yes... (2+ / 0-)
        otto, billlaurelMD

...also for the House Republicans, on us...

Float like a manhole cover, sting like a sash weight! Clean Coal Is A Clinker!

by JeffW on Wed Oct 02, 2013 at 06:18:56 AM PDT

•  Funny, I was never sure which one it was: (1+ / 0-)
        otto

the walk or the dump.  Seriously.

The other one that always got me was "ablutions".(sp?)
        Some elderly lady I knew used to say, "I woke up and did my ablutions."

I also had an older fuddy duddyish Business History (a lovely subject....we had to read Horatio Alger) prof who used to say "I shook my stumps and headed downstairs."

WTF?

Ayn sucks. Please know I am not rude. I cannot rec anything from this browser. When I rec or post diaries I am a guest at some exotic locale's computer.

by Floyd Blue on Wed Oct 02, 2013 at 06:52:08 AM PDT

•  I've always been fond of (0+ / 0-)

"Gonna go see a man about a dog."

Streichholzschächtelchen

by otto on Wed Oct 02, 2013 at 07:05:39 AM PDT

•  What does that mean, though? (0+ / 0-)

(on a much different subject, I love to take the phrase, "If dog bites man, it's not news.  If man bites dog, it's news.", and add the following:  not in a country where they eat dogs.)

by Floyd Blue on Wed Oct 02, 2013 at 07:09:14 AM PDT

•  But they didn't work (1+ / 0-)
      fwdpost

Why is anyone even suggesting that they should get paid for days they did not work?  How is that remotely reasonable?

If I don't work I don't get paid.

If there is a backlog of work they can let those who are needed to deal with it work comp days on weekends to make it up and get paid for them.

But I can't see how it is remotely reasonable to pay people for not working.

•  Do folks know what furlough means... (1+ / 0-)
        Harshmellow

You don't go to work... temporary layoff - just like millions of other workers in private industry. Are you going to pay (late) government workers who go to work the same as those who are furloughed and stay home?

These are jobs - not trust fund guarantees.

•  Furloughed with no notice. . . (0+ / 0-)

Even corporations give you notice.

If we are going to elect Democrats, lets elect real ones!

by waztec on Wed Oct 02, 2013 at 08:40:22 AM PDT

•  For feds, that's NOT 100% what furlough means (0+ / 0-)

Feds are restricted from taking other jobs during the furlough.  They could even get fired for doing so, without permission--and of course anyone who would process that permission is--wait for it--on furlough.

The same is true for those on rolling furloughs over the past year--if they wanted to do temp work on the day they were out, they had to get it approved and do it in a field unrelated to their gov't work (in other words, they would have had to work outside their expertise, meaning they would have less chance of finding something and less chance of it paying well).

These are jobs, yes, but they are NOT like working for an insurance company or something.

"(KID, HAVE YOU REHABILITATED YOURSELF?)"

by Allen on Wed Oct 02, 2013 at 11:20:24 AM PDT

•  Plenty of companies that hire contractors (0+ / 0-)

or others have similar policies - they restrict who you can do other work for while not working for them if you want to keep your job.

I don't see this as a justification for paying people for not working.

In fact, if you do accept that we have this obligation then doesn't the Anti-Deficiency Act require firing them?

•  Plenty? Stop being disingenuous (0+ / 0-)

"Plenty" is far from most, which is how you implicitly presented your argument.

I'm not trying to justify paying people for not working but it is worth noting that feds--and a FEW companies, statistically speaking--do not get to pay by the same rules that most, or if you will, plenty, of people do.

"(KID, HAVE YOU REHABILITATED YOURSELF?)"

by Allen on Wed Oct 02, 2013 at 11:58:00 AM PDT

•  Shrug... if the federal employees want to take (0+ / 0-)

other jobs they can quit and do so.

They knew the terms of the deal when they signed up for it.

•  What an idiot you are (0+ / 0-)

and your comments are both hideous and trollish.
                  Quit? In this economy?
                  You don't think they deserve pay because they were FORCED to stay home?
                  No, they did not know the terms of the deal when they signed up for it.
                  they didn't know that one party can just play games with their lives and force them to stay home.
                  You are paying their salaries?
                  That probably works out to less then 20 cent or less from your a month.
                  I agree with waztec, you are a selfish F...cker.
                  Hope you lose your job again soon.
                  Good luck just finding another one in this economy.

by snoopydawg on Thu Oct 03, 2013 at 10:18:26 PM PDT

•  Troll (1+ / 0-)
        Allen

you have no clue what those people are going through, you selfish f---.

If we are going to elect Democrats, lets elect real ones!

by waztec on Wed Oct 02, 2013 at 08:32:42 AM PDT

•  Little chance for comp pay (0+ / 0-)

Due to the sequester, many agencies are not paying $ for comp or credit hours, they are giving comp leave hours--which generally can only accumulate up to some fairly low point anyway before they are use or lose.

So it's not accurate to blithely assert feds can just make up lost pay on the weekend.

"(KID, HAVE YOU REHABILITATED YOURSELF?)"

by Allen on Wed Oct 02, 2013 at 11:24:16 AM PDT

•  We Didn't Ask (0+ / 0-)

not to work.  We would all be there except that we have been forced to stay away because a small group of so-called legislators thinks its OK to screw with innocent people's lives to get their way.

Who are you?  Do you not find our circumstances even remotely unfair???

We had no notice.   We are not allowed to find other work while out of work.

What alternative would you suggest for paying our bills and feeding our families?

•  Same alternative I had when the startup (0+ / 0-)

I worked for cratered without paying me my final month's salary.

I lived off savings and found a new job.

No one paid me for the last month I worked, never mind the following month when I did not work.

•  Well (0+ / 0-)

Aren't you special.

•  No... It's federal workers like you who think (0+ / 0-)

they deserve special treatment that the rest of Americans don't get who think they are special.

But you're not.

And if Democrats try to give federal workers back pay for the days they did not work I'll bet ten bucks that the Tea Party fights them and wins while doing nasty political damage to the Democrats.

•  A bit harsh, IMHO (1+ / 0-)
                VickiL

since federal employees in past government shutdown furloughs have been paid retroactively.  They were considered victims of political infighting and were paid.

In my mind, there is no special privilege in the hope that this furlough will be handled in the same manner as previous furloughs.  Perhaps it will not be, but I do not see any serious political damage to Democrats if pay is handled according to precedent.

I do wonder if any furloughed Republican voters (97% of NASA employees, perhaps) will remain Republican if they do not receive the retroactive funds that were paid in the past.

The truth always matters.

by texasmom on Wed Oct 02, 2013 at 04:28:00 PM PDT

•  They are working. (0+ / 0-)

They are doing exactly what their employer told them to do: go home and do nothing. They did not quit. They were not fired. They are not contractors getting paid by the piece. They are getting paid, eight hours per day, five days a week (mostly) to do what their boss tells them to do.

It isn't reasonable to say if your boss tells you to do this you get paid, but if your boss tells you to do that you don't get paid. Your job is to do what the boss wants you to do. Right now, the boss wants you to do nothing.

Sure, they are ultimately working for us taxpayers, so you could say that, through our so-called representatives, we are the people who told them to not do anything productive for us. Hey, we fucked up.

Somewhere along the line in this massive weird game of 'telephone' we use to tell our federal employees what to do for us, the lines got crossed and somehow 'do your job' got transmogrified into 'go home and do nothing."

So that is what we are asking for, that is what we are getting, that is what we are paying for. If you think that's unreasonable, talk to the putzes who screwed up the 'representative' part of 'representative democracy".

Better still, vote them out of office.

"The problems of incompetent, corrupt, corporatist government are incompetence, corruption and corporatism, not government." Jerome a Paris

by Orinoco on Wed Oct 02, 2013 at 02:06:59 PM PDT

•  Their reasoning never makes sense. (1+ / 0-)
      Orinoco

They shut down the government to stop a law that went into effect on the day they shut down the government!

The only good thing is that they are loudly proclaiming that this is the one and only reason that they have shut down the government so they look like total fools.

"That being said, I do agree I am going to hell. But for other reasons. Mostly boring tax stuff ' Amy Pohler

by Annie B on Wed Oct 02, 2013 at 11:32:12 AM PDT