View Diary: Growing number of Republicans fed up with House teabaggers who caused government shutdown (85 comments)

•  Yep. I do. I lived in Texas half my life. (20+ / 0-)

I watched what they did do Ann Richards. Frankly, she was a bit conservative for me, but I did vote for her. Proudly.

I have many friends in the South. Most of them are ashamed. Having grown up in the South and now living in the Mississippi of the North (Maine) I have a certain perspective.

The "Shot heard 'round the world" is now known as the "Pinochet Ricochet". --commonmass

by commonmass on Wed Oct 02, 2013 at 07:54:18 AM PDT

•  So where are you? I responded to this, and told (5+ / 0-)

the community that I lived in Texas half my life. I wonder: where are you? Is it just because I grew up in Houston? Or, do you have another problem?

I still identify as a Texan. Even though I live in Maine, a state which fought aggressively to put down the Southern Rebellion.

I don't care to move back to Texas. I tried, it, and I didn't like it. But I'll have you know that I was a Harris County precinct captain, and held fundraisers for the current mayor of Houston who was a at that time an at-large Councilwoman. I'll add, for those that don't know, she's a Lesbian.

What is wrong with you? With all of the Southerners?

by commonmass on Wed Oct 02, 2013 at 09:25:17 AM PDT

•  I am in Austin (1+ / 0-)
        commonmass

and we are fighting this too-have been for some time.

My own participation is limited by circumstances I'm not willing to spit out on demand, thank you.

For real Texas Kaos, you want texaskaos.net, not .com. Before you win, you have to fight. Come fight along with us

by boadicea on Wed Oct 02, 2013 at 12:58:36 PM PDT

•  So is my mother, my brother (a Kossack) and (0+ / 0-)

my nephews.

Your participation might be limited. Mine was, and is not. However, I notice that you and a lot of people have a problem with my suggesting that the South and Texas waged wars of aggression. Now, the war for the independence of Texas--trust me, I went to middle school there you know--was waged by Southern carpetbaggers who wanted to own slaves and had a big problem with Mexico banning slavery. Pretty much, that's what that was about.

As for Dixie, they have pretty much embarrassed themselves, and, apparently, would like to continue to do so.

I know plenty of people down in Texas are fighting the good fight. Many of them are my friends, and some of them, I helped to elect. But don't pull that Texan stuff on me. I know the history. I wouldn't dare speak it if I didn't know it to be true. It's just that some of us can take some pride rather than to have to stand up to every little thing that suggests that there has been a culture in this country which has resulted in war, racism, oppression, lynchings and subversion of the Union. Because it has. It's down there. Not up here. Except, perhaps, in New Hampshire. ;)

by commonmass on Wed Oct 02, 2013 at 01:24:07 PM PDT

•  Where the hell did you get that from (0+ / 0-)

my comments that many of us are fighting here?

You said you wanted to wall us all off-a comment more intemperate than I am used to from you, and that I responded to in kind.

I will take responsibility for what I say. Don't put words in my mouth, thank you.

by boadicea on Wed Oct 02, 2013 at 10:35:40 PM PDT

•  Here you go: Our Lady of Victories: (1+ / 0-)
      DefendOurConstitution

Monument Square, Portland Maine: Our Lady of Victories, and that victory was our fight against peonage and slavery in the South. We won that war.

by commonmass on Wed Oct 02, 2013 at 09:51:00 AM PDT

•  And that is similar (2+ / 0-)

to the policy that was followed.  It certainly wasn't what Lincoln wanted to do.

"You have attributed conditions to villainy that simply result from stupidity"

by newfie on Wed Oct 02, 2013 at 10:03:45 AM PDT

•  Frankly, I have a lot more sympathy for (1+ / 0-)
        newfie

Tyendenaga (Joesph Brant), my late husband's distant relative in the Mohawk Nation and a great Canadian. Lincoln was a bit weaksauce, compared with the heroism of Brant, who, admittedly, lived in a different time.

Interestingly, Lincoln doesn't have a day in the Prayerbook. But Brant does.

by commonmass on Wed Oct 02, 2013 at 12:09:48 PM PDT

•  Didn't know (1+ / 0-)
          commonmass

your husband had Mohawk blood.  Getting back to Newfoundlanders - my grandfather came down as an iron worker.  It was Newfies and Mohawks who did some of the most dangerous work in the building of bridges and skyscrapers in Boston, NY and Philly.

Different time indeed.  I think Lincoln may have proved different in different times.  That's definitely to his credit.  And Frederick Douglass grew to admire Lincoln who he said, treated him as an equal.  A less "weaksauce" Lincoln would likely have failed as would a more "weaksauce" Lincoln.  He played it right and shifted when the time was right. Of course, in my humble opinion.

"You have attributed conditions to villainy that simply result from stupidity"

by newfie on Wed Oct 02, 2013 at 12:23:46 PM PDT

•  I probably was too harsh on Lincoln. (1+ / 0-)
            RiveroftheWest

I have a hard time admiring him, because he was weak on slavery until it hit him in the beak.

Now, Tyendenaga, he was something quite altogether different. Like my late Mowhawk husband he was an Anglican, and a Freemason (unlike my late husband, he was also a Tory). But what I learned about what it meant to be a part of the Iriquois Nation! Because I got to be part of it. Still am, even by marriage.

Gay, and English/Irish/Russian/Austro-Hungarian, the Mohawks were happy to have me. But what really meant a lot to me was learning the stories, and also learning about a history in North American which at least in the United States is not told or taught. I learned a lot, and I also learned about how we lost the War of 1812, which any Canadian and lots of First Nations folk will tell you about any chance they get.

by commonmass on Wed Oct 02, 2013 at 12:33:28 PM PDT

•  Could have likely (1+ / 0-)
              commonmass

avoided it and much of the Revolution had we only gotten to the Quebecois first - well we sort of did but we didn't convince them that we would keep them whole with their French culture.  They throw in with the Americans and it would have ended sooner - and we would have a prety nice region we wouldn't need a passport to visit (or another nice region I should say).

"You have attributed conditions to villainy that simply result from stupidity"

by newfie on Wed Oct 02, 2013 at 12:58:02 PM PDT

•  Oh and I think (1+ / 0-)
              commonmass

Lincoln's weakness was highly calculated.  And he ticked off a lot of folks besides Douglass.  But I think he truly was playing 12 dimensional chess.  He played his cards when they were most useful.

"You have attributed conditions to villainy that simply result from stupidity"

by newfie on Wed Oct 02, 2013 at 01:00:19 PM PDT