View Diary: I'll be donating my time and money to a republican (107 comments)

•  I'm inclined to do the same here. (15+ / 0-)

My "Representative" is Cynthia Lummis (R-Teabagistan) and I will gladly support anyone who is more sane than she.

Also I have to put up with Liz Cheney running for Senate, which means I may have to support Mike Enzi as he is at least more sane than Lizzie (which unfortunately isn't saying much).

•  have fun at republican HQ (4+ / 0-)

"...i also also want a legally binding apology." -George Rockwell

by thankgodforairamerica on Wed Oct 02, 2013 at 09:21:41 AM PDT

•  I always voted for the republican.... (3+ / 0-)
        tharu1, Mayfly, FarWestGirl

the democrat has the best chance to beat.

You shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you mad. Aldous Huxley

by murrayewv on Wed Oct 02, 2013 at 12:19:03 PM PDT

•  they're not talking about voting in an R primary (3+ / 0-)
          tharu1, Odysseus, cspivey

If that were all, fine.

They're talking about building the republican party. They just don't understand that's what they're offering to do.

I think if they'd ever worked on a campaign, they might get it.

"...i also also want a legally binding apology." -George Rockwell

by thankgodforairamerica on Wed Oct 02, 2013 at 12:38:32 PM PDT

•  I'd love to *rebuild* the republican party (12+ / 0-)

I'd love to see the republican party that gave us Herbert Hoover saying "a chicken in every pot and a car in every garage". How's that for populist?  I'd love to see the republican party that gave us Eisenhower (ended McCarthyism, expanded Social Security, and started the national highway system among other things).  I won't say they or their party was perfect, but then I don't think I could say that about the democratic party either in all honesty.

But for the country to have an effective dialogue where we discuss two or more views on an issue without immediately referring to the other side as the enemy or calling them a traitor, we either need to see the republican party rebuilt or dismantled completely with a new progressive party being created on the left.  That dialogue though is essential to a functioning democracy and it has to be one where at the end of the day, we're all still real Americans despite our differences.

And being honest with myself, conservatism isn't all bad and it isn't even always wrong.  Fiscal conservatism can be a good thing as long as it doesn't go so far down the path that it ends up in austerity. Deregulation is needed especially when those regulations thoughtlessly inhibit growth (look at software patents for a great example of an area in need of deregulation).  Social policies that are being abused need reform so they can do the job they were intended to do effectively.  And yes, not every social problem can be fixed by throwing money at it.

I don't think I'd ever be "at home" as a conservative... I'm too much of a progressive at heart. I just don't think that conservatism is another word for evil either.  If we got a republican party that more closely resembles the conservative parties of Europe we'd end up with a democratic party that was able to be a real progressive party... and I don't think many people here would find that a bad thing.

But I've digressed considerably from my original statement... and that is simply that I'd love to give "safe" republicans more to fear in being primaried from the left than they currently have to fear in being primaried by the tea party right.

•  With the Cold War over... (0+ / 0-)

...I doubt there's much chance of our ruling class uniting in a "moderate center" consensus on policy and budget priorities like the post-WWII Republicans and Democrats were able to maintain.

That's been plenty OK with me for a couple- or three decades, now, but I admit that I'm having second thoughts these days.

•  Both Clinton and Obama, both in philosophy (3+ / 0-)
                AdamSchmidt, wonmug, slothlax

and leadership tendencies are way to the extreme right of anything Eisenhower did. In fact, they are more along the lines of Barry Goldwater who, at one point, expressed deep concern for the religious zealot influence on the party at the time and had no trouble with gays serving in the military.

Additionally Eisenhower approached leadership from an entirely different perspective that is almost out of reach today: part of his preparation for the office of President was having to see the direct results of sending men into primitive combat situations and watching the coffins leave London bound for the United States - tens of thousands of them. He also got to experience first-hand the effects of managing operations involving vast amounts of materials as well as scheduling, replenishment of vital supplies and delegating authority to people best qualified to handle mission-critical tasks. With that kind of practical experience, nobody who has since held the office of President (or aspired to hold it) would, as my departed father used to say, make a respectable pimple on Eisenhower's ass.

•  Yes & no. (2+ / 0-)
                  AdamSchmidt, slothlax

I do think that both Clinton and Obama would have been comfortable in Eisenhower's Republican Party.  Neither is "extreme right" of that, and I really don't think either of 'em have much in common with Barry Goldwater.  But then, neither does your average Tea Partier.  They're more in the mold of George Wallace.

•  Clinton willingly bought into Reaganomics (3+ / 0-)
                    wonmug, codairem, slothlax

and the cult of Anh Rand by signing the commodities and futures modernization act into law; something Eisenhower would have never stood for, given his clearly documented suspicions about Industry's tendancy to dominate military supply manufacturing at the expense of domestic spending.

And after the outcome of the Korean War, it's incomprehensible that Eisenhower would have perpetuated an unfunded, undeclared war as Obama has.

Right-wing behavior always exposes right-wing philosophy. Situational morality notwithstanding, I respectfully disagree.

•  There are two Presidents I truly admire... (3+ / 0-)
                      Calamity Jean, slothlax, blueoasis

Eisenhower and Teddy Roosevelt.  There are a few more that come close but those two top my list. They were both Republicans and yet neither one would be welcome in today's Republican party.  Frankly, they'd both probably be considered too progressive for today's Democratic party. I don't claim either one was perfect but they were damn impressive.

•  the republican MO, (3+ / 0-)

for the last 25 years or so, has traditionally been about creating enemies rather than building coalitions.

hope springs eternal and DAMN is she getting tired!

by alguien on Wed Oct 02, 2013 at 05:22:41 PM PDT

•  Rebuilding Hoovervilles? (2+ / 0-)
              Anakai, terabytes
              True.  But then, as now, the end result of their policies is "Two families in every garage."
    •  Help! I fell overboard, I'm surrounded by (1+ / 0-)
      thankgodforairamerica

sharks and I'm drowning!

Forget the life preserver and toss me that bar bell over there...

•  exactly (2+ / 0-)
        Anakai, mahakali overdrive

I can't believe kossacks are rec'ing this and not HRing it.

And it was rescued. That just adds insult to injury.

"...i also also want a legally binding apology." -George Rockwell

by thankgodforairamerica on Wed Oct 02, 2013 at 01:55:00 PM PDT

•  I'll take the snark... (2+ / 0-)
        AdamSelene, dinazina

Just so you understand, I've never voted Republican in my life. I find both the Log Cabin Republicans and GOProud absolutely mystifying and often disgusting. I think the tea party as it stands is the single most destructive force in American politics.  I can't go onto republican blogs for too long without feeling ill at the blatant racism and hatred that I see expressed there.

All that being said... I can do one of the following:

1 - Move. Believe me I've considered it many times but that's just giving up and letting them win.

2 - Work for democrats in other districts and states who have a chance of winning. If that's all I'm doing, why not just go ahead and move?

3 - Work for and donate to democrats in my district (if any bother to run) and watch them lose by 40 points because the people here are so used to voting for whoever has the "R" by their name.  And no, I'm not kidding about that 40 point spread, that's about the usual.

4 - Find a way to get "better" republicans.  Even if its only a republican who at least knows that if they go too far like say shutting down the government they were elected to serve in, that they'll soon find their ass on the way out the door.

5 - Give up and hide my head in the sand waiting for things to get better on the national level and someday dragging this conservative enclave along with it.

I've tried going with route 3 for 25 years and it hasn't worked.  That's why I'm looking at #4 and going for better republicans if I can't get a democrat elected here.  I just don't know if you can really understand what it's like here... this is the county (Cobb) that led the U.S. in putting stickers on their science textbooks explaining that the contents were just theory and not fact.  Georgia has been neck and neck with Texas in "revising" their history textbooks.

Even if by some miracle a democrat was elected here, they wouldn't look anything like what you think a democrat would look like. They'd likely be in favor of prayer in schools (I'm unfortunately serious here).

•  Understand? You bet I understand.... (4+ / 0-)

Being a "victim"- of sorts -  of a family whose father was engaged in the defense industry and his career path having produced multiple relocations, my teenage years were spent in southern Virginia in the middle and late 60s where the Klan was still occasionally lynching black men for even looking at white women, and the local cops just turned their heads. Although I'm not black I know exactly what kind of environment you're dealing with.

I opted for your #1. Had I spent any longer in that place, I would have died both mentally and physically. Once I left behind the magnolias, greasy barbecue, deep-fried lard-sickles and phony religious zealots, I flourished. My creativity blossomed... I took my studies seriously again because I could concentrate on them in an environment that wasn't tainted with cronyism, religious hypocrisy and being force-fed "values" that had no value to me.

Taking your talents and skills elsewhere to a place where you can once again grow the courage of your convictions, use critical thinking without being threatened with fundie BS and better yourself does far more damage to those people than trying to swim in their cesspool. When you remove just one source of economic support (the local taxes you pay) and one more talent or skill that they can no longer exploit (your job), you've done about as much to them as any one person can do--- short of hitting Powerball and buying yourself an election like the rest of them.

Good luck to you, friend. You are in an unenviable position. My best wishes to you and your loved ones - and may you resolve this dilemma to your satisfaction and future well-being.

•  Well said! (2+ / 0-)
            Anakai, PsychoSavannah

I too live in a deeply red enclave, MO-7. They call us the buckle of the bible belt. I know exactly how it feels to wonder at times if there is something wrong with me because of the way I think, or choose to live my life, is so much more different than people around me think or live their lives.

I've been here now going on ten years and almost everyday is a struggle. I started my career and my family here. Almost everyday at look a job boards in other places daydreaming of one day moving there. Even though I really love my job, I would take a comparable position elsewhere just to get away from here.

I make the most of it. I've found a small group of like minded people who help keep each other sane. We focus our efforts on local elected positions where sometimes our numbers may be enough to vote in one sane person to the city council, school board, or a state representative.

Yeah, voting out our House Representative is virtually impossible, but we take our little victories where we can get them.

•  Run away! (0+ / 1-)
            Hidden by:
            Lothar2009

That's the answer. Just like the middle class white people who decry urban schools as they run away to the suburbs. You are all a bunch of cowards who took the easy way out, but at the root of it you are the problem. The diarist is completely right, stand and fight is the only way to win.

There is truth on all sides. The question is how much.

by slothlax on Wed Oct 02, 2013 at 09:33:35 PM PDT

•  How well did "Rope A Dope" work... (0+ / 0-)

...for Mohammed Ali? Not so much. All he has left now is the admiration of his fans - that's it. It's tragic, it's sad... But it was also his choice. The same can be said for Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas, Oklahoma, Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee, etc.
              Everyone has free agency to live wherever they want using their own best judgement. That applies to you as well... But rather than poison my mind and those of my kids, I chose to opt out of perpetuating "stupid" by living somewhere that is physically and spiritually dangerous for me, my wife and the rest of my family. If that makes me a "coward", "taking the easy way out" and the root part of your problem, then I'm very happy that I'm here where I'm at and you are wherever you are.

•  If you aren't willing to stand and fight (0+ / 0-)

then you have absolutely no reason to complain about why districts continue to elect people like Alan West, Michelle Bachmann, Rand Paul, and so on.

•  I don't complain about them - I mock them. (0+ / 0-)

And I do everything within my lawful civic duty to ensure two things:

1. That right wing trash with intellectual syphilis never gets elected to any position of authority in my locality;

2. Do my part - in forums such as this and in other ways and places - to help usher in the day when regressive politicians, their fixers and tortured logic become irrelevant to the future of this country.

I don't pretend to imagine that I can affect or effect the thought processes in other places like Minnesota or South Carolina that causes people to elect people to positions of authority who are criminally insane. I am, however, free to express my views on them, as are you.

•  I live in the "ghetto" (0+ / 0-)

That's what people from the suburbs say when they come to my house. I live here because I know, even though I'm in the minority, I make a difference by living here

There is truth on all sides. The question is how much.

by slothlax on Sat Oct 05, 2013 at 11:58:17 PM PDT