View Diary: Bikers, Drivers and and Knives: Why I'm Glad NY Has Strict Gun Control (141 comments)

•  Reddit has the full video, not the edited one (16+ / 0-)

It starts with the bikers (many of whom have illegally removed license plates) harassing cars. One of them brake-checked the SUV driver, and the SUV hit him. The SUV driver got out to check to see if the biker was okay, and the gang surrounded and attacked his vehicle, slashed his tires, and tried to forcibly enter the vehicle. He tried to flee the gang attack, and hit other bikers in his flight. Eventually, because of the slashed tires, his vehicle was stopped and he was taken out and beaten.

The bikers are 100% at fault, and they were itching for a fight. The gang in question is apparently notorious for this.

Non enim propter gloriam, diuicias aut honores pugnamus set propter libertatem solummodo quam Nemo bonus nisi simul cum vita amittit. -Declaration of Arbroath

by Robobagpiper on Wed Oct 02, 2013 at 02:23:02 PM PDT

•  Anyone defending these pieces of total (3+ / 0-)
      Boris49, Tonedevil, annieli

negligent homicide waiting to happen are fucking insane.

•  Some of it is a knee-jerk defense of people on (11+ / 0-)

bikes (motor or pedal) against cagers. I get that. I used to commute 32 miles round trip a bicycle to work and been the victim of aggressiveness (and, more often, reckless indifference) from car drivers. When I drive a car, I watch for bikes and motorcycles a lot more now that I've been in their shoes.

But that sympathy doesn't fit the facts of the case. This was large aggressive gang acting engaging in wanton and illegal recklessness, even before they turned to overt violence.

by Robobagpiper on Wed Oct 02, 2013 at 02:40:04 PM PDT

•  My sympathy for even lone bikers (2+ / 0-)
          Tonedevil, annieli

Is really, really wearing thin.

These arguments are as old as microsoft vs apple, so I'm not adding anything new here, but I really don't enjoy listening to the loud roar of at least 50% of the motorcycles I see every day.

But that's beside the point. THESE people were literally criminally negligent. They deserved far, far worse. All of them.

I feel pure hatred for the risks they were taking with other peoples' lives.

That is sociopathy to me.

•  also... (11+ / 0-)

the bikers were smashing at the window where the driver's two year old child was sitting.  We are not talking about knocking on the window.

I was on the road that day.  I saw about 8 bikers zipping in and out of traffic and NOT in the usual way most motorcyclists drive, ie, obeying traffic laws.  They were cutting close in front of cars and speeding in between lanes between traffic that was moving.

This was on the Grand Central Parkway on Sunday at about 11:30 AM.

One biker started it all with this incident.  He purposefully cut in front of the driver who braked, but the car tapped the cyclists tire.  He stopped to see if everything was okay.  His car was then attacked and he obviously took off in a panic.

He was surrounded again and then again.

I suppose next time he shouldn't give a fuck about what happens to his wife and kid.  Let them get beat up or killed while he politely calls 911 and wait for the cops to arrive.

All the suffering of this world arises from a wrong attitude.The world is neither good or bad. It is only the relation to our ego that makes it seem the one or the other - Lama Anagorika Govinda

by kishik on Wed Oct 02, 2013 at 02:41:44 PM PDT

•  This story has set me off (2+ / 0-)
        kishik, annieli

Because the complete fucking stupidity of people in public is getting so extreme as to make me think it's only a matter of time before me or someone I love is killed out of total and utter recklessness by someone else.

There's also a huge political element to this. I think some of tis "freedumb" behavior is fanned by the plutocratic-owned media, because these people destroy the public sphere, make us call for law and order, and creates division within the 99.9%.

This is tragedy of the commons stuff on steroids.

•  sorry... (2+ / 0-)
          poco, rubyr

this was plain stupid.  Mob mentality.

AND - pick on the driver.  He's Asian.  They don't fight back.

really.

don't tell me this also doesn't involve race.  It does.  Asians = easy targets.  Driving a nice car - SUV.

This time, the Asian guy does fight back - even if it really wasn't anything but accidental (hitting bikes, running over a guy) and done in panic.  So now he has to be punished.

Mob mentality.

Stupid behavior.

by kishik on Wed Oct 02, 2013 at 03:00:54 PM PDT

•  200 911 calls re: the bikers, in a short time. nt (4+ / 0-)

"Southern nights have you ever felt a southern night?" Allen Toussaint ~~Remember the Gulf of Mexico~~

by rubyr on Wed Oct 02, 2013 at 06:48:54 PM PDT

•  Thanks for the update. (0+ / 0-)

These guys seem to have been out of control. Reminds me of the scene in Fahrenheit 451 when the kids in the car are trying to run over Guy Montag.

"The next time everyone will pay for it equally, and there won't be any more Chosen Nations, or any Others. Poor bastards all." ~The Boomer Bible

by just another vet on Fri Oct 04, 2013 at 06:39:21 AM PDT

• Recommended (128)
  • Community (55)
  • 2016 (43)
  • Environment (38)
  • Republicans (34)
  • Elections (34)
  • Bernie Sanders (33)
  • Culture (31)
  • Hillary Clinton (26)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (24)
  • Labor (24)
  • Climate Change (22)
  • Education (22)
  • Barack Obama (22)
  • Media (21)
  • GOP (20)
  • Civil Rights (20)
  • Economy (19)
  • Affordable Care Act (18)
  • Texas (18)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site