View Diary: Breaking! It was about the Grand Bargain all along (858 comments)

•  C'mon man!! All the R's have to do is put out a (19+ / 0-)

little disinformation and you're ready to form a circular firing squad? Stick with the party line ("clean CR or bust") at least for a couple of days.

"Because I am a river to my people."

by lordcopper on Wed Oct 02, 2013 at 04:27:04 PM PDT

•  Go ahead and push the meme. (0+ / 0-)

Hey I did my part--I've been spreading this around all day:

We Are Experiencing Technical Difficulties.

I tried to go online to find a similar bear head...but when I searched “Big Bear Head” it gave me a San Diego craigslist ad entitled “Big Bear needs some quick head now” and then I just decided to never go on the internet again.--Jenny Lawson

by SouthernLiberalinMD on Wed Oct 02, 2013 at 06:18:19 PM PDT

•  Doesn't mean we can't look honestly (3+ / 0-)

at what our own side has already given away, and indications that they're intending to give even more.

by SouthernLiberalinMD on Wed Oct 02, 2013 at 06:18:51 PM PDT

•  What have they given away? (2+ / 0-)
        doroma, Deep Texan

The most important thing in winning any kind of conflict is to stand firm at the onset of hostilities.  Unfortunately, the Democratic coalition tends to unravel at the first angry look.

"Because I am a river to my people."

by lordcopper on Wed Oct 02, 2013 at 06:36:36 PM PDT

•  Look at BigAl's comment. (6+ / 0-)

Chained CPI is already in the budget. Spending levels lower than sequestration are already in the budget. Deep cuts to domestic programs are already in the budget. Hell, didn't we all agree to cut food stamps recently?

by SouthernLiberalinMD on Wed Oct 02, 2013 at 06:56:24 PM PDT

•  With control of the House of Representatives come (0+ / 0-)

certain prerogatives.  There is a big difference between "giving something away", and succumbing to the constitutional authority inherent in holding the majority.  Perhaps you aren't happy with the outcomes (we all are), but your time would be better spent focusing on winning elections.

"Because I am a river to my people."

by lordcopper on Wed Oct 02, 2013 at 07:06:41 PM PDT

•  Did that for five solid years. (3+ / 0-)
              lordcopper, 3goldens, cybrestrike

Left my career and focused on it. Participated in a number of winning campaigns too. Now we're here.

by SouthernLiberalinMD on Wed Oct 02, 2013 at 07:12:05 PM PDT

•  In the immortal words of Michael Jackson (0+ / 0-)

" don't stop til you get enough"

"Because I am a river to my people."

by lordcopper on Wed Oct 02, 2013 at 07:14:47 PM PDT

•  In the immortal words of Albert Einstein (1+ / 0-)
                  nogo postal

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

If we're going to focus on electoral strategy as our one true way, we need to revolutionize how we do it, because we sure as hell aren't having much success lately. We haven't altered our approach (bar throwing some extra social media into the mix) since 2003.  We're inhabiting an entirely different landscape now.

If we're going to persist in this notion that we're in a partisan fight with the Republicans as our enemies and we're going to win that fight via electorally outperforming them, it would be best if we abandon this touching faith that if we keep doing things by the numbers over and over like people genuflecting in a church that we will continue to outperform them as we did in 2006 and 2008.

Now, of course, I don't really believe anymore that the fight I'm in can be limited to a partisan struggle, and I also think electoral fights are insufficient to achieving good policy, which was the original goal, I thought. Nonetheless, I  wouldn't totally rule out doing more electoral work--but not in this mindless way, with the electoral option being used essentially as a way of shutting people up when they say things uncomfortable to the party leadership and the party loyalists, rather than thinking about how we would actually win.

For instance:  the Tea Party are our enemies, our worst enemies, right? What's our strategy to get them out of office? What's the strategy we have for winning in those 80 districts everybody's talking about? I get the feeling we're all supposed to think that's above our pay grade and that we should be good little workers and knock on doors and phone bank in perfect faith that our work will result in victories. But that's not the way winners act. Either at a higher level above us, or at our level, somebody's got to be thinking about how we beat this new challenge:  defining it, analyzing our enemy's strengths and weaknesses, analyzing our own, figuring out a vulnerability we can exploit in those districts. Basically, we're leaving this sort of stuff to the Party leadership--but since Steve Israel is in charge of the D-trip, and he was completely disinclined to challenge Paul Ryan, the pre-eminent Tea Party budget guy, and was completely unwilling to support Rob Zerban, even after Zerban raised 2 million dollars for his race on his own, I don't think he's particularly trustworthy. In fact, he seems a lot more interested in making sure the Party continues to trend rightward than he is in gaining a majority. In my opinion, of course.

For that matter, what's our strategy to increase turnouts in midterm elections? What's our strategy to get people to understand that state elections and state legislatures matter? Hell, what's our plan on how to explain to people the difference between their state legislators and their federal legislators--because even in high-information MD/DC suburbs, last time I walked a district, a lot of the people had no idea the difference between Barbara Mikulski and my candidate, who was running for state Senate.

We're going through the motions like a catechism, and we treat the Democratic Party like some kind of religion. And increasingly, like most religions, our goals seem to revolve around keeping our congregation in line with doctrine.

by SouthernLiberalinMD on Wed Oct 02, 2013 at 10:48:11 PM PDT

•  Anyway, I didn't know that control of the House (1+ / 0-)
              cybrestrike

meant you automatically get Social Security cuts. Funny that the Republicans didn't manage to get that between Jan. 2003 and Jan 2007.

by SouthernLiberalinMD on Wed Oct 02, 2013 at 07:12:46 PM PDT

•  Control of the House means you have the preeminent (1+ / 0-)
                Susan G in MN

role in setting spending policy (when the opposition party controls the House).

I've run the numbers on SS and "chained CPI". It's a harder choice than is being portrayed on this site, when the U.S. runs structural deficits deficits.

"Because I am a river to my people."

by lordcopper on Wed Oct 02, 2013 at 07:18:27 PM PDT

•  Wow. OK. (1+ / 0-)
                  cybrestrike

If that's the economic point of view you have, we will never agree.

by SouthernLiberalinMD on Wed Oct 02, 2013 at 10:23:58 PM PDT