View Diary: Republican congressman admits he's a pro-shutdown lemming after all (109 comments)

•  You have to think about what they really want. (8+ / 0-)

Power.  It's not about the size of the budget -- it's about stopping the 'darkies' from taking over -- undoing the upcoming Demographic apocalypse.  If they don't stop it cold, and sadly Democracy with it, they will be out on their ears.

This may be the last House Majority they ever have.  They MUST leverage it.  This means playing every. single. card. they've got:  Shutdown, Default, Propaganda, Fear, Impeachment

Happy little moron, Lucky little man.
    I wish I was a moron, MY GOD, Perhaps I am!
    —Spike Milligan

by polecat on Fri Oct 04, 2013 at 12:59:21 PM PDT

•  But I can't think that way (3+ / 0-)
      polecat, cheerio2, Phoenix Woman

I don't have the Machiavellian nature it requires. And that's, ultimately, what scares me about this. They're willing to destroy everything to get something. They'll be happy with a pyrrhic victory. They'll call anything but a complete and utter loss a win and then proceed to do something crazier the next time.

And I'm afraid that our side, at some point, will relent because there has to be some semblance of a government. And when that happens, when the bastards have gotten what they want they'll be forgiven by the masses and allowed to do it all over again.

Spite is the ranch dressing Republicans slather on their salad of racism

by ontheleftcoast on Fri Oct 04, 2013 at 01:06:21 PM PDT

•  Political Terrorism, Republican Jihad. /nt (2+ / 0-)
        ontheleftcoast, Phoenix Woman

Happy little moron, Lucky little man.
        I wish I was a moron, MY GOD, Perhaps I am!
        —Spike Milligan

by polecat on Fri Oct 04, 2013 at 01:09:45 PM PDT

•  That's Why We Can't Give In (5+ / 0-)

I don't wanna burn the village to save it.  But the government is running.  This fight is serious.  If we back down, we make the Presidency a servant of the House for a decade.  No.

No one can terrorize a whole nation, unless we are all his accomplices. - Edward R. Murrow

by CrazyHorse on Fri Oct 04, 2013 at 01:19:19 PM PDT

•  Actually, you had better learn (1+ / 0-)
        polecat

TO think that way. Because this is partially why every progressive thing in this country has been chipped away at. Look at where these people represent: it's whiter, older and angrier than ever that the lies that they were lead to believe about themselves turned out to not be true.  and frankly, I think that President Obama has always been made of steel, but was always wrapped in velvet, Now, the steel is showing and so many people are shocked. He is standing strong on this, and i think most of the Dems are standing strong, too.

•  You are Right (2+ / 0-)
      Phoenix Woman, polecat

The GOP may win the House again, but it won't be THIS GOP.  It will be what I like to call - Donkey Lite.

by CrazyHorse on Fri Oct 04, 2013 at 01:20:48 PM PDT

•  Implicit in this is their rejection of the normal (2+ / 0-)
      Phoenix Woman, polecat

legislative process to get things done - what we often call "sausage making," which is ugly, distasteful and full of uncomfortable compromises.  Democracy in a nutshell.

But, no, that's not what there are doing.  They are literally holding America hostage with the shutdown, and they are ready to tank the global economy by not raising the debt limit, to "win" without having to compromise.

This seems obvious to me and, of course, the it completely escapes our clueless MSM.

The most violent element in society is ignorance.

by Mr MadAsHell on Fri Oct 04, 2013 at 01:23:33 PM PDT