View Diary: Week one, still no access to healthcare.gov for states with no exchanges. (271 comments)

•  I am a bit tired of being told to RELAX (3+ / 0-)
    Cpqemp, greenbell, Neuroptimalian

when my only hope of getting insurance rests on the site.  It is silly they cannot have some kind of calculator up and running that gives everybody a ballpark quote.

Still enjoying my stimulus package.

by Kevvboy on Fri Oct 04, 2013 at 02:43:55 PM PDT

•  there have been several diaries that have done (21+ / 0-)

just that actually - and I've used them and got all the info I needed to know that the ACA is the best bet for me, whether in Louisiana where I reside now or Oregon where I will be returning in early next year.

So I'm not really sure what your beef is, the information is out there and not at all hard to find.  You can't get it until January, that's months away and you CAN get a ballpark quote now from a multitude of sites.

•  no it doesn't (5+ / 0-)
      when my only hope of getting insurance rests on the site
      Call them.

-You want to change the system, run for office.

by Deep Texan on Fri Oct 04, 2013 at 03:16:35 PM PDT

•  The Kaiser calculator (6+ / 0-)

has been running for months.

Subsidy CalculatorPremium Assistance for Coverage in Exchanges

Coverage does not start until January.

What we are missing in the meantime is a simple way to determine which companies are in the Exchanges in each state. That information is available from states that implemented their own exchanges. It will be widely available for Federal exchanges fairly soon on sites other than healthcare.gov, and it some point healthcare.gov will catch up. In the meantime, consider this.

People Are Calling This Obamacare Insurance Exchange in Tears

When the exchange opened…the website and call centers were flooded with inquiries. Walsh said that in the first few hours “it was just raw emotion calling in.” People eager for insurance, at times in tears, wanted to get coverage that they didn’t have before.
      Featured minutes ago on All In with Chris Hayes.

Ceterem censeo, gerrymandra delenda est

by Mokurai on Fri Oct 04, 2013 at 05:32:53 PM PDT

•  North Carolina's late dropping of (1+ / 0-)
        CenPhx

...their exchange and failing to extend Medicaid screwed up the estimates for me.   It's coming in a 88% of my adjusted gross income for mandatory individual healthcare just for my spouse.

Screw you, Parrot Pat and your Koch-addicted Art Pope.

50 states, 210 media market, 435 Congressional Districts, 3080 counties, 192,480 precincts

by TarheelDem on Fri Oct 04, 2013 at 08:39:25 PM PDT

•  I'm telling you: relax (1+ / 0-)
      Eyesbright

You do have time.  As long as you enroll within the next couple of months or so, your coverage will start January 1, and it won't start any sooner if you enroll today.  And it isn't some kind of special offer that when they're gone, they're gone.  Check back again next week, and the week after.  Call the help lines listed on the site if you still don't have any luck.

•  Down for maintenance this weekend (1+ / 0-)
        Lujane
        "To make further improvements to the system, we will be taking down the application part of the website for scheduled maintenance during off-peak hours over the weekend," Health and Human Services' Joanne Peters said in a statement. "The enhancements we are making will enable more simultaneous users to successfully create an account and move through the application and plan shopping process. During the scheduled maintenance, the call center will still be available to assist consumers throughout the night. We expect that Monday, less than a week after the Marketplace opening, there will be significant improvements in the online consumer experience."

Many potential customers in the 36 states where the exchanges are run by the federal government received a variety of error messages that told them the system was overloaded on Tuesday. Some state-run exchanges, like those in Hawaii and Maryland, were down entirely. New York’s exchange was put out of commission after 10 million people flooded the site.

It's not a question of whether our founding fathers are rolling in their graves but rather of how many RPM they're clocking.

by Eyesbright on Fri Oct 04, 2013 at 07:00:59 PM PDT

•  It is routine during rollouts (2+ / 0-)
          Eyesbright, Lujane

...to do maintenance on weekends.  Mainly because most rollouts are for people who have 9-5 working hours.  Some habits die hard in the IT community.

by TarheelDem on Fri Oct 04, 2013 at 08:41:12 PM PDT

•  Those people will be coming in and working late (4+ / 0-)
            Brecht, WakeUpNeo, CenPhx, Eyesbright

to try to make their improvements at a time that will least inconvenience everyone else.

I don't believe there is any IT team in the world who could have set up a site like this, with all those backend API calls to other databases, and taken Amazon-level load on day one, and not had scaling issues. This group will be master ninjas when they solve it.

Fry, don't be a hero! It's not covered by our health plan!

by elfling on Fri Oct 04, 2013 at 09:37:42 PM PDT

•  I'm not quite as generous (0+ / 0-)

I know that doing a stress test to simulate loads like the ones they got are difficult, but there are seeming architectural problems in the design that made quickly responding to state's dumping plans on the Federal exchange that make it more difficult.

A lot of early looky loos were interested in getting estimates of what their situation is going to look like.  Most likely Federal business "protection of proprietary business information" about the plans caused the design to force folks to register first before getting estimates.

People are going to need documents to fill out some of the information.  That fact is underemphasized on the first page.

There is a distinct lack of breadcrumb functionality that lets folks know where they are and how to gracefully exit.

I don't think the assumption of a weekend shutdown was smart given the fact that a lot of people might want to fill out the application over the weekend; this is a consumer, not a business application and has loads during consumer hours.  If I were managing it, I would have run midnight-to-eight debugging sessions, with half of that time devoted to testing closure of tickets.

Performance tuning can help some, but there are some code issues apparently that are coming to light.  Most project overemphasize unit testing, underemphasize system  testing, and give load testing a lick and a promise.  That seems to be what happened here.

Nonetheless, I expect the serious issues will  be worked out by the first of the third week.

by TarheelDem on Sat Oct 05, 2013 at 08:12:02 AM PDT

•  Try calling them (0+ / 0-)

It looks like that's easier.

Women create the entire labor force.
      ---------------------------------------------
      Sympathy is the strongest instinct in human nature. - Charles Darwin

by splashy on Fri Oct 04, 2013 at 06:46:37 PM PDT

•  The people on the phone (0+ / 0-)

lines just tell you to try the website again later.  I promise.  I called 3 times.

Still enjoying my stimulus package.

by Kevvboy on Sat Oct 05, 2013 at 10:27:43 AM PDT

•  Sounds frustrating (1+ / 0-)
          Kevvboy

I'm waiting until later this month, to try to keep my frustration levels down. :-D

Women create the entire labor force.
          ---------------------------------------------
          Sympathy is the strongest instinct in human nature. - Charles Darwin

by splashy on Sat Oct 05, 2013 at 03:12:13 PM PDT

•  Yup (1+ / 0-)
            splashy

I decided not to look at the site again for a week.  Maybe they'll get some better programmers working on it.  I'm glad the demand is huge, that bodes well for the program, which of course I wildly support.

Still enjoying my stimulus package.

by Kevvboy on Sat Oct 05, 2013 at 03:35:46 PM PDT