View Diary: On 'Redskins,' President Obama gets it right and Fox News Dem Lanny Davis gets it completely wrong (301 comments)

•  The Washington part wouldn't bother me... (9+ / 0-)

...if they actually played in Washington instead of pretending like Landover, Maryland (a DC suburb) is part of the District of Columbia.

I'd support federal legislation banning sports teams from naming themselves after a given city if they don't play their home games in that city.

by JamesGG on Mon Oct 07, 2013 at 10:31:04 AM PDT

•  No "Redskins" (1+ / 0-)
      sethtriggs
      Now we have the NFL Arizona Cardinals playing in Glendale, AZ, the Carolina Panthers playing in Charlotte. NC, and the Minnesota Vikings playing in Minneapolis. Ironic? A nod to your sentiments?

Personally, I don't believe that any sports team in our country (US) should use racist images of Native Americans under any circumstances, and that the deal worked out between Florida State U and the Seminole nation should guide all present and future arrangements of this sort. Of course, this would remove "redskins" as a name for any team in the US, and I'd celebrate that!

People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. - George Orwell

by paz3 on Mon Oct 07, 2013 at 01:16:46 PM PDT

•  The New York Jets and New York Giants both play (4+ / 0-)
        Eyesbright, rbird, sethtriggs, Mokurai

in Jersey.

And it feels like I'm livin'in the wasteland of the free ~ Iris DeMent, 1996

by MrJersey on Mon Oct 07, 2013 at 02:36:45 PM PDT

•  Fine by me. (2+ / 0-)
        sethtriggs, Tommy Aces
        If they want to name themselves after the state instead of the city, that's totally fine, as long as they're actually playing their home games in that state. (Though it seems like they should only be able to do that if they're the only major-league team in that sport in the state... the California Angels, for example, always seemed a bit odd to me.)

But the Giants shouldn't be allowed to call themselves the New York Giants if they play in New Jersey. They should play in New York City, or call themselves something else.

by JamesGG on Mon Oct 07, 2013 at 03:05:23 PM PDT

•  they used to play in RFK stadium, which is in DC (2+ / 0-)
      Eyesbright, rbird

Politics is like driving. To go backward put it in R. To go forward put it in D.
      Drop by The Grieving Room on Monday nights for support in dealing with grief.

by TrueBlueMajority on Mon Oct 07, 2013 at 02:15:53 PM PDT

•  I don't blame them... (4+ / 0-)

...for not wanting to play in that dump anymore.

But if Dan Snyder was going to spend buttloads of money building a new stadium, why didn't he just pay to tear down RFK and build a bigger, nicer, less falling-apart RFK II?

by JamesGG on Mon Oct 07, 2013 at 03:06:52 PM PDT