View Diary: Too much tempest in tea party agenda for some less extreme Republicans. Justin Amash a target (64 comments)

•  And of course, they start by targeting the guy (10+ / 0-)

who put his name on the anti-NSA surveillance bill.

Bet you a snifter of good Beltway whiskey that this is a top-down form of payback. No way local Republicans do anything without the OK from the RNC.

Not that I'm saying I'm into Amash, but one could ask oneself:  why not Ryan? why not Cruz? There's near a hundred Teabaggers who are causing this dust-up, and the first one to get targeted is the guy who sided with Democrats on a civil liberties bill.

I tried to go online to find a similar bear head...but when I searched “Big Bear Head” it gave me a San Diego craigslist ad entitled “Big Bear needs some quick head now” and then I just decided to never go on the internet again.--Jenny Lawson

by SouthernLiberalinMD on Mon Oct 07, 2013 at 12:43:18 PM PDT

•  Because Amash is an insane extremist, that's why. (16+ / 0-)

A wrecked clock is right twice a day, but that doesn't mean you have to buy it.

"It always irks when rightwing folk demonstrate in a familial or exclusive setting the values that they deny in a broader social context." Russell Brand

by CoExistNow on Mon Oct 07, 2013 at 12:46:12 PM PDT

•  We're talking about the point of view of MI (1+ / 0-)
        dopper0189

Republicans, and you think that Amash being an insane extremist is the problem for them?

These are the people that have wrecked Detroit.

by SouthernLiberalinMD on Mon Oct 07, 2013 at 01:50:47 PM PDT

•  A lot of industry, government contracts, (0+ / 0-)

etc are located in Amash's district.

He's costing them money, and that is the problem. They could give a fuck about civil liberties, it's money.

"It is through disobedience that progress has been made, through disobedience and through rebellion." Oscar Wilde, 1891

by MichiganGirl on Mon Oct 07, 2013 at 08:14:50 PM PDT

•  Well, let's just replace him with a neocon (0+ / 0-)

corporatist. That'll fix it. No more Tea Party extremists!

by SouthernLiberalinMD on Tue Oct 08, 2013 at 08:04:50 AM PDT

•  A neocon corporatist will not (0+ / 0-)

risk default. This is a reckless, petulant child who has never worked a day in his life. He is holding his breath and turning blue and cares not a whiff if the world economy crumbles around him because he has inherited billions. He represents no one but himself. A corporatist would care about economic collapse.

And I don't know that Christian Endtimes sh*t isn't also at play here with Amash. He's a fundie.

So, yes, I will take a neocon corporatist any day of the week and twice on Sunday over this spoiled, petulant, Know-Nothing idealogue who cares for his immediate family and no one else.

by CoExistNow on Tue Oct 08, 2013 at 05:01:55 PM PDT

•  And replace him with what? (2+ / 0-)
        Woody, SouthernLiberalinMD

a toady of Wall Street?  I know we're all supposed to be pro-establishment in  every choice these days, we call it "pragmatism", but it is precisely the political and economic establishment that has looted this country for the last 40 years, not the marginalized of either left or right.

Clap On, Clap Off, The Clapper!

by ActivistGuy on Mon Oct 07, 2013 at 07:31:56 PM PDT

•  someone like his predecessors (1+ / 0-)
          CoExistNow

I have a lot of respect for both Vern Ehlers and Paul Henry, though some of my respect for Ehlers came after he was replaced by Amash. Ehlers is a Ph.D. physicist who believes in science; he's one of the few politicians I've heard say that the only real solution to global warming is to decrease our consumption. So it's crazy to me that he is still a Republican, though many of Amash's supporters have been calling him a RINO.

•  I have respect for Ehlers too, but do you (0+ / 0-)

really think that one of the near-extinct moderate Republicans is going to have a chance of winning anywhere?

For one thing, unless they're an incumbent already, they're not going to get support from the RNC and related PACS--why should those guys support someone like Ehlers when they could support a neocon corporatist tool?

by SouthernLiberalinMD on Tue Oct 08, 2013 at 08:06:13 AM PDT

•  As If Ryan & Cruz Are NOT Insane Extremists nt (2+ / 0-)
        SouthernLiberalinMD, Eddie L

On the Internet, nobody knows if you're a dog... but everybody knows if you're a jackass.

by stevemb on Mon Oct 07, 2013 at 07:44:51 PM PDT

•  the establishment has hated him from day one (1+ / 0-)
      MI Sooner

And this time I mean that in a good way.  As CoExistNow noted, they have seen him as an insane extremist from day one. Not that I feel sorry for the establishment, as they enabled his election, but a primary challenge has been planned for Amash since the day he won the primary for this seat. He's one of the reasons the government is shut down and we're in danger of default; that's not good for business. No, I believe the Republicans on this one.