View Diary: Bernie Sanders Nails It: "Let's Not Kid Ourselves." (188 comments)

•  Let's not forget Senator Warren, Franken and (9+ / 0-)

others....

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities" Voltaire.

by JWK on Tue Oct 08, 2013 at 12:41:41 PM PDT

•  Warren's new (20+ / 0-)

Warren has gone up against the banking machine on a committee, but she's not been tested in other areas yet.  She bears watching.  What are her positions on repealing AUMF, Patriot Act, MCA '06, FISA fiasco '08, MCA '09, and shutting down the 'office of faith-based initiatives' if a president won't disband what Dumbya created with one of his first executive orders...?  How about holding lying war criminals accountable?

Franken is my senator, along with Klobuchar, and they're both waaaaaaay too conservative for my liking and vote with the Repukes too often.

I can't tell you how disappointing it is to find out they're both basically DINOs.

by NonnyO on Tue Oct 08, 2013 at 01:28:08 PM PDT

•  Someone had that "little talk" with them. (6+ / 0-)
        4Freedom, elwior, NonnyO, Whatithink, peglyn, rb608

I met Franken on the street once in DC.  He was not friendly.  I was surprised.

It's difficult to be happy knowing so many suffer. We must unite.

by War on Error on Tue Oct 08, 2013 at 04:05:06 PM PDT

•  They seem to represent Senator Schumer (3+ / 0-)
        cslewis, socindemsclothing, NonnyO

or somebody.  Somebody tells them what to think and how to vote.  They sure don't listen to us.

•  I'm surprised to hear this really. (4+ / 0-)

Everything I've read about Franken has been good. I don't doubt that you follow him more closely than I do,  me being from California.  But I've worked with Franken once on a comedy sketch and he was congenial and accommodating. I donate to his campaign in fact to this day.

by JWK on Tue Oct 08, 2013 at 11:03:48 PM PDT

•  Franken is a nice person, I think... (4+ / 0-)
          peglyn, mightymouse, Bisbonian, rb608

He and Franni were pictured with their first grandchild in a fairly recent newsletter and they were both beaming with pride (well, the baby is a little cutie).

BUT..., Al's not the more independent politician who votes for progressive causes and laws that I hoped he'd be.  By the time Al won his seat (after that nerve-wracking recount), I already knew Amy was a middle-of-the-road Democrat who didn't stand out as being different from a DINO and by then she'd already voted for too many Repuke bills for my liking.

Al seems to vote with the conservative Repukes and DINOs and that disturbs me greatly.  Ditto Klobuchar whose campaign funds have been the recipient of a lot of medical money (MN is home to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester and a couple of manufacturers of medical devices and equipment).

I hoped when Franken was elected he would work harder to get the illegal and unconstitutional wars stopped, Gitmo closed, torture ended, that he wouldn't go along with the drone bombings, etc., and push for a repeal, in full, of AUMF, MCA '06, FISA fiasco '08 (and I think both voted in favor of MCA '09, too, if memory serves).  Amy was already dubbed a "supporter of the military," but that doesn't get far with me as long as they vote to send people to Afghanistan or wherever to fight and/or use drones to bomb in countries where we are NOT at war.  TECHNICALLY, we are not in a legal war with anyone and our US military is being used to fight little criminal gangs, not legal armies in these countries.  That's just an insane policy any way I look at it.

Recently, when it came to Syria bombing proposal, Franken is quoted on MPR as saying the US needed to "send a message" - meaning Franken backed the insane idea of bombing Syria.  Klobuchar was sitting on the fence on the issue.  I wrote to both of them and let them know I didn't favor the US doing any more illegal and unconstitutional actions in the Mideast, including drone bombing.

As of right now, without further changes in their voting patterns, I'm pretty disgusted with both Franken and Klobuchar.  Both seem to be nice people - I've never met either one in person, so I am only going by impressions from videos and quotes - BUT that doesn't make them effective politicians or political leaders for progressive Democratic issues when it comes to voting in the Senate on illegal and unconstitutional matters, and that IS disgusting.

They're both too much in the political wolf pack "going along to get along."

by NonnyO on Wed Oct 09, 2013 at 03:16:27 AM PDT

•  Either way ... (2+ / 0-)
          rb608, stitchingasfastasIcan

a marked upgrade from the clown he replaced.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

by RUNDOWN on Wed Oct 09, 2013 at 09:33:01 AM PDT

•  Warren > Franken (4+ / 0-)

An ambulance can only go so fast - Neil Young

• Spam (23)
  • Congress (23)
  • Barack Obama (22)
  • Civil Rights (22)
  • Labor (22)
  • Science (21)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (21)
  • Texas (20)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site