View Diary: McDonald's employee arrested for interrupting speech by McDonald's USA President (116 comments)

•  In California it's going to $10, eventually (18+ / 0-)

California Minimum Wage to Increase in 2014

Gov. Jerry Brown signed a bill on Wednesday, Sept. 25, that would increase California’s minimum wage to $10 an hour within the next three years.

The current minimum wage, $8 an hour, will be raised to $9 an hour on July 1, 2014, then to the final wage of $10 an hour on January 1, 2016. This bill, the first mandatory wage increase in nearly five years, comes as a welcome change for California workers.

Daily Kos an oasis of truth. Truth that leads to action.

by Shockwave on Wed Oct 09, 2013 at 12:38:35 PM PDT

•  Good, and I hope many others follow. (14+ / 0-)

1968 was the year that I started working and paying Social Security tax.

The chart you linked to shows minimum wage in 1996 dollars. If you use this calculator which converts dollars from any one year into another it shows that the $1.60 I earned in 1968 is now equal to $10.75.

"We have met the enemy and they are us." - Pogo

by brae70 on Wed Oct 09, 2013 at 12:53:22 PM PDT

•  In nominal dollars. But CA rents haven't risen (1+ / 0-)
        Amber6541

in nominal dollars.

"But the traitors will pretend / that it's gettin' near the end / when it's beginning" P. Ochs

by JesseCW on Wed Oct 09, 2013 at 08:48:15 PM PDT

•  What's "nominal" dollars? (0+ / 0-)

Is that when I pay $7.29 for 30oz of Jerkins hand lotion that used to be 60oz and only cost $2.99?

Or when I pay $1.19 for 6oz of off brand Tuna fish that used to be 8oz and was only 33 cents a can?

Or when I pay 59 cents a pound for chicken, not the $2.69 a pound today?

Or when I pay $3.99 for Store Brand Bleach with 121 oz in it when it used to be $1.69 for a full gallon of 128oz???

Or hell, when I pay $23.13 in taxes, surcharges and fees on a phone bill that's only $17.79 for basic "incoming" service (ala cart for all calls made)???

Or is "nominal" dollars when Social Services tells me, as a single woman with no children that there are apartments in Buffalo that are only $350 a month and therefore will not help beyond that?

If rents went up like everything else has, the majority of Americans would be homeless.  Good thing that South Carolina outlawed homelessness!

GRRRrrrrrrrrrr!

by gerrilea on Thu Oct 10, 2013 at 08:07:45 AM PDT

•  Rents in CA have gone up a LOT more than (0+ / 0-)

everything else has.

When minimum wage was 4.25, 325-350 would get you a snug 1bdr in a mediocre area in L.A. or San Diego.

Now it's 8, and that's a grand.

by JesseCW on Thu Oct 10, 2013 at 09:10:46 AM PDT

•  Rents in San Diego (1+ / 0-)
              gerrilea

Back in 2000, when I had to stop working, I briefly thought about moving back to San Diego, where I grew up, and where my daughters lives (El Cajon).  The cheapest studio I could locate would have cost me $900 a month.  At the time my SSDI income was $1280 a month.  Ridiculous.  I never would have been able to survive.  So I moved to WV, where I now live in a used mobile home on an acre of land, with a creek and apple trees -- and deer that walk through my yard every day.  I'm out in the country, with no road noise, very peaceful and quiet.  And I only pay $360 a month plus electric.  What a difference.

•  In 2000 I was paying 500 for a studio a mile from (0+ / 0-)

downtown.

That's about when those "rental pamphlets" with extra super insane rents started appearing everywhere.

And they did go up QUICKLY from the late 90's.  By 2004, they were raising my rent to 750.  I took the place at 425 in mid 98'.

by JesseCW on Fri Oct 11, 2013 at 01:45:39 AM PDT

•  There are many areas that have never gone up over (2+ / 0-)
            kitana0308, gerrilea

the years.  Here is another example.

When you apply for Medicaid and are told you make too much money, you can try to get on through their 'spend down' program.  They take your monthly gross income, then subtract the federal deduction for one person to live a month.  Then multiply that number by six, which is how long you would go before reapplying.  That number is how much you either have to spend on your medical care, or obligate yourself to owing for your medical care, before you can get a Medicaid card.

The real kicker is that the federal government says that one person should be able to live on $200 a month -- a figure that hasn't changed in over 35 years.  Can you imagine anyone living on $200 a month in total, for everything?

This was actually told to me by a health and human services worker.  By the way, he was as disgusted with it as I was.

•  I remember back in 1989... (15+ / 0-)

working in California, the minimum wage was $7.25 and you couldn't afford to live on it back then (so I moved back to Ohio).

24 years later and it has increased to $8?  Wow, that is some serious generosity there boy.  Less than 10%.  That is about as much as inflation during that time period isn't it?  I mean, gasoline was about a dollar back then and add 10% to that and you get... oh wait, inflation doesn't count gasoline in the CPI.  Okay, a gallon of milk... Oh wait...  Okay, a new TV, back in 1989 cost about $300 and since the new ones are nicer and have qualities unavailable at that time and now cost about $500 then using my congressional CPI calculator... carry the 3... and voila, exactly 10%.  See, it is all fair and square.

"Perhaps the sentiments contained in the following pages, are not YET sufficiently fashionable to procure them general favour..."

by Buckeye Nut Schell on Wed Oct 09, 2013 at 12:57:22 PM PDT

•  In Seattle, $15 minimum wage coming! (11+ / 0-)

Seattle elects a new mayor in November.  Both candidates say they are in favor of the minimum wage in the city climbing to $15 in the next couple of years.  The current mayor, Mike McGinn, just said today on the local NPR station that he wants the minimum wage to climb higher than $15 locally.  The other candidate (who is favored to win), Ed Murray, also endorses raising minimum wage to $15, but more slowly, over time, similarly to the recently signed CA wage raise.  An initiative will also be on the ballot in November in the suburb of Seattle, Seatac, where the airport is, to immediately raise the minimum wage for all airport and hospitality jobs to $15.  That may pass!

•  McGinn really fumbled that tunnel (0+ / 0-)

Though it will improve the look of the waterfront and traffic.

"When you think about the money spent/on defense by the government/& the weapons of destruction we've built/we're so sure that we need/then you think of the millions that money could feed/How long?" J Browne

by rainmanjr on Wed Oct 09, 2013 at 11:10:21 PM PDT

•  Gov't shutdown POLL: (5+ / 0-)

For the second time in less than a week, my local right wing rag is polling on who is responsible for the gov't shutdown and the local wingnuts are all blaming Pres Obama.....and not, the real arsonists (House Republicans).

PLEASE VOTE!

Poll is on the bottom right hand side.

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

by Jeff Y on Wed Oct 09, 2013 at 05:02:40 PM PDT

•  We had the votes for 11.50. We had to negotiate (3+ / 0-)
      brae70, JVolvo, Shockwave

down with "our own" Governor, and we had to stretch it out to 2016 instead of 2015.

Which means this is likely out last increase until nearly 2020.  Once again, just like it's been for 25 years, we got two thirds of the minimum acceptable two years late.

We're still falling farther and farther behind.  This just changes how quickly.

by JesseCW on Wed Oct 09, 2013 at 08:47:34 PM PDT

•  The businesses will just lay off workers (0+ / 0-)

And then try to BS that they 'had to do it because of the minimum wage increase'.