View Diary: There are no words (87 comments)

•  I hate to be the odd man out here (12+ / 0-)

But this was hardly The Jungle. This is how the vast majority of animal-based food is produced in developed countries and has been for quite a while. Free range and individually slaughtered or milked farm animals are the exception to the rule, and always will be so long as humanity eats so much meat and other animal-based products. For every Whole Foods-shopping yuppie making $100k a year who can afford to buy humanely produced but expensive animal-based food, there are likely hundreds of people who either can't afford to do so, or don't care. I don't see that ever changing.

We like meat, eggs, milk, cheese, and products made from them too much. And this is probably the only way to provide them to most people at current levels of consumption. Perhaps if we found a way to reduce demand for them, we'd make all this more humane (which is what I thought that "fat shaming"--which I had no problem with because those people were disgusting--was about).

I realize I'm the exception here, but damn, this is where that Big Mac came from (including the mayo in the Special Sauce).

"Reagan's dead, and he was a lousy president" -- Keith Olbermann 4/22/09

by kovie on Sat Oct 19, 2013 at 09:42:30 PM PDT

•  I thought it was pretty tame (12+ / 0-)

compared to some of the hidden camera type videos I've seen. The factory scenes they showed look extremely clean and sanitary for a meat slaughtering / butchering operation.

It's the sheer volume of it that gives me the most pause, the amounts are staggering, but this is how we get meat on a big scale. Our family easily eats 1 whole chicken a week. That's 52 chickens a year, just for us. Makes ya think.

"Watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal..."-7.75, -5.54

by solesse413 on Sat Oct 19, 2013 at 10:10:27 PM PDT

•  Times billions of people (4+ / 0-)

Do the math, there's no way to do this manually or on a small scale. Either we get people to eat less animal food or this goes on.

"Reagan's dead, and he was a lousy president" -- Keith Olbermann 4/22/09

by kovie on Sat Oct 19, 2013 at 10:26:29 PM PDT

•  Just show this video a few more times. (3+ / 0-)

People will eat less meat.

•  Required viewing at the meat counter (2+ / 0-)
            VL Baker, native

This suggestion is inspired by the anti-abortion folks.  If people had to see how their chunk of meat gets on that saran-wrapped styrofoam plate, they would eat much less of it.

The blood on the sow's rear is from being bred back in without time to recover from the previous delivery.  The tissues never get a chance to heal.

Don't look back, something may be gaining on you. - L. "Satchel" Paige

by arlene on Sun Oct 20, 2013 at 05:47:24 AM PDT

•  I am going to lose a lot of weight, I expect. (4+ / 0-)
              VL Baker, arlene, solesse413, davehouck

We have been trying to get into a finacial situation for a long time, where we can afford to buy into an animal that will be grass fed, raised humanely, etc. etc, we know what it was fed,
              and where it lived, and so forth.

This just pushes the issue. I expect we will eat a lot less meat, but what we get won't have been sucked up into a machine that looks like it should be in a Wallace and Grommet cartoon.

I don't think I will ever be able to go into a fast food restaurant again.

•  Have you read Fast Food Nation? (2+ / 0-)
                VL Baker, Azubia

It's not only a fascinating read, but it shines a light on the whole system. I quit fast food after that, except once in a great while on a road trip, then I always end up regretting it later that evening when my GI tract rebels. :)

Also, the film Food Inc.  That one is a real eye opener, not just about meat, but the whole of Big Food.

by solesse413 on Sun Oct 20, 2013 at 10:57:58 AM PDT

•  Yeah, I have a tiny house and yard, but (0+ / 0-)

we are learning to do upright gardening more and more.

We have an upright bank of lettuce and greens that should provide us with salad all winter this year. It took two years to figure out the spacing of when to plant seeds so it all doesn't come at once, etc. Also carrots and broccoli, sugar snap peas,
                  Blue berries, strawberries, limes and tangerines, everything we can manage.....

•  Count me among those not particularly moved. (4+ / 0-)
        Jo Bob, Rumarhazzit, vmdairy, Stude Dude

I'm not sure what we're supposed to be offended by here. I'm not sure the animals are any more uncomfortable in a factory environment (at least as depicted here) than they would be on a traditional family farm. Both environments are man-made and serve the purpose of harvesting meat, eggs, and milk as food. It all ends the same for animals destined to be eaten, and I suspect the very end might be a little less horrific for animals in a factory environment, where efficiency is maximized. Anybody who has seen a pig or cow slaughtered in the traditional way knows it can be clumsy and messy.

There's no doubt about it, heterotrophy sucks. But until we find a way to modify ourselves so that we can produce life energy directly from the sun we're going to have to get it by killing something else and stealing its life energy.

•  There are more than 3 choices. Factory farms or (4+ / 0-)

family farms or nourishment from the sun (which we actually do get).

There is the choice of letting animals be and eating fruit, veggies, grains and legumes.

Tracy B Ann - technically that is my signature. If I had Bill Gates money, I'd buy Detroit.

by ZenTrainer on Sun Oct 20, 2013 at 01:41:08 AM PDT

•  We could eat humans (1+ / 0-)
          Stude Dude

That would solve a lot of problems right there.

•  Max; if you care to do so, I'm just curious ... (1+ / 0-)
          VL Baker

... as someone who is interested in the impact such videos have on the perceptions of people who see them, I have a request.  Please watch, again if you so choose, and I understand if you choose not to, this video; and then post a follow up to let us know if your view has changed any.  I recommend watching full screen; and do watch the whole thing, there are a lot of topics covered, and they are all worth consideration.  This is a very well made documentary, a message that I think important, and a video that I recommend often.  I hope you find it informative.  Thanks; and again, I understand if you don't wish to watch it.

______________