View Diary: A Fake Viking, A Racist Football Brand, and Dan Snyder All Walk Naked Into a Bar (65 comments)

•  The Frito Bandito Story (6+ / 0-)
    I remember being in college talking about 'the Frito Bandito' with a fellow Marketing major who wanted to know why the character was not viable to bring back for nostalgia appeal. He was almost livid that it was not seen as a good idea because it was offensive to other people. He was actually arguing that brown people being offended by the old Frito Bandito character was the same as white people being offended by Superman.

Derp.

Ah... what?

Blink. Blink.

Ah.... what?

That if 'the Frito Bandito' was offensive, well, then, people like him and me should protest in front of DC Comics against the anti-white "Superman" character.

Jesus, save me.

A six year old could.... (Sadly shakes head) really?

Really?

It's a trend. You have to be willfully and forcefully choosing to live in a parallel universe to see that as the same. But there I was, and there he was.

Superman is essentially a white man visualized as a living God.

The Frito Bandito was a racist stereotype designed by busy white people to be found appealing by other busy white people at the gas station quickly looking at competing brands of salty corn chips.

It was at the end of that conversation that I realized something.

Some people would invent a fusion reactor with a rubber band, chewing gum wrapper, and paper clip like MacGuyer before they will mildly inconvenience themselves let alone lift a heavy burden for the benefit of another.

Both these events had a profound impact on how I view not drawing a big bold line between being polite and engaging in social civility and noxiously enabling a malignancy.

You have to, at some point, stop being so damned nice and so damned concerned with the feelings of bigots and the sensibilities of people who would do the right thing, they promise, if it wasn't do damned inconvenient and it wasn't about "the principle of the thing".

I am a Loco-Foco. I am from the Elizabeth Warren wing of the Democratic Party.

by LeftHandedMan on Tue Oct 15, 2013 at 02:50:12 AM PDT

•  Ay yi yi yi (5+ / 0-)

I am the Frito Bandito
      I like Fritos corn chips
      I love them I do
      I want Frito corn chips
      I get (steal, rob) them from you!

Ay yi yi yi
      Oh I am the Frito Bandito
      The Frito Bandito
      Give me Frito corn chips
      And I'll be your friend
      The Frito Bandito
      You must not offend!

If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter. -George Washington

by Tank Mountaine on Tue Oct 15, 2013 at 03:44:26 AM PDT

•  Good Lord (3+ / 0-)
        translatorpro, murrayewv, Ahianne

When did Mel Blanc ever sleep?

That's my first thought after I stopped cringing.

I am a Loco-Foco. I am from the Elizabeth Warren wing of the Democratic Party.

by LeftHandedMan on Tue Oct 15, 2013 at 04:16:26 AM PDT

•  The Second thing I thought was (3+ / 0-)
          translatorpro, Nowhere Man, hazzcon

this is why, if you are able to divorce yourself from how offensive it is, why my Marketing Major peer was so pissed off.

If you don't care it's racist, not one bit, all you see is a mascot that will captivate kids and amuse their parents.

And suddenly, in your cluelessness, or in your callousness, you see the people trying to make the world a better more inclusive place as the bad guys.

I couldn't not say something. I couldn't.

I am a Loco-Foco. I am from the Elizabeth Warren wing of the Democratic Party.

by LeftHandedMan on Tue Oct 15, 2013 at 04:19:25 AM PDT

•  Heavens to Murgatroyd! (4+ / 0-)

I remember the Frito Bandito only vaguely, but I had no recollection of the details. That is absolutely horrific. It is really beyond me how no one could see that as seriously bigoted stereotyping (which is essentially biased by definition).

„Wer kämpft, kann verlieren. Wer nicht kämpft, hat schon verloren.“ - Bertolt Brecht

by translatorpro on Tue Oct 15, 2013 at 04:32:05 AM PDT

•  I hadn't thought of the Frito Bandito in years (1+ / 0-)
          translatorpro

and then Alton Brown mentioned him in passing in a Good Eats episode some years back. It never stops being jarring to me to see the character in animated form.

Sometimes I wonder if Mel Branc, one of the truly great voice actors in animation, had any regrets about this kind of stuff at any time late in his career.

Certainly, by this point, he was an institution who didn't have to do this if he didn't want to.

I am a Loco-Foco. I am from the Elizabeth Warren wing of the Democratic Party.

by LeftHandedMan on Tue Oct 15, 2013 at 04:36:16 AM PDT