View Diary: MoveOn releases 12 more polls of House Republicans, showing half tied or trailing generic opponents (97 comments)

•  I have met Richert. . . (7+ / 0-)

. . .he does come across well.  He was gerrymandered into a safer district, though, and I am not sure that Obama's vote share would be the same now.

If we are going to elect Democrats, lets elect real ones!

by waztec on Fri Oct 11, 2013 at 10:22:01 AM PDT

•   Reichert's numbers moved more than Beutler's (8+ / 0-)

and that surprised me because Reichert gave statements to the press indicating he was one of the Rs willing to vote for a clean CR whereas Beutler made no statements.

Reichert's district is safer than the old 8th was but not by all that much. The population growth is happening in the bluer parts of his district. The deep red rural Klickitas county areas are losing population.

The gerrymander of the 3rd was more pronounced. To take back the 3rd requires a really strong D candidate and very significant voter registration efforts among the Native American and Hispanic populations in the district.

•  WA-3 also has Vancouver... (3+ / 0-)
        se portland, MichaelNY, NM Ward Chair

...which is where people from Portland move when they want a place that's good to raise kids in more than "hip".

You can't spell "Diane Feinstein" without "NSA".

by varro on Fri Oct 11, 2013 at 02:26:08 PM PDT

•  Well I think it has more to do with Housing (7+ / 0-)

In Portland the Home Value Index is $$284,100. In Vancouver it is $193,100.

“We can always count on the Americans to do the right thing, after they have exhausted all the other possibilities.” - Winston Chuchill

by se portland on Fri Oct 11, 2013 at 02:58:12 PM PDT

•  not if good schools are your priority (1+ / 0-)
          NM Ward Chair

Beaverton and Lake Oswego have the best schools in Oregon, arguably, and more broadly I'd suggest that for raising a family those are the places to go if Portland isn't your thing. Clark County is where you go if you can't afford WashCo or Clackamas, especially since its basically a haven for people who don't want to pay taxes.

Vancouver isn't blue enough to move WA-03, either.

by James Allen on Fri Oct 11, 2013 at 05:20:02 PM PDT

•  I'm more tuned in to Vancouver.... (0+ / 0-)

...than Beaverton and Lake Oswego.  I live in far NE Portland near Lombard, closer to downtown Vancouver than downtown Portland.

From what I know of the schools, if I had kids, I'd move into the Sunset cluster.

You can't spell "Diane Feinstein" without "NSA".

by varro on Sat Oct 12, 2013 at 10:41:23 AM PDT

•  I'm in Southwest within a couple miles of Lake (0+ / 0-)

Oswego, and I've lived in Beaverton, Tigard, Tualatin, and a few places in Clackamas County too. All of it is much nicer than Vancouver, which is basically strip malls and open pit mines. I mean a lot of Beaverton is strip malls, but at least it has less crime and no open pit mines, and some of the best schools in the state.

by James Allen on Sat Oct 12, 2013 at 10:52:46 AM PDT

•  In 2012 (after redistricting) (2+ / 0-)
      Empower Ink, MichaelNY

Obama beat Romney in the 8th District, by about a 1.6% margin (155,982 votes to 151,069).  WA Sec of State

Reichert has always tried to come across as a moderate, but the ACA may be a problem for him.  How many times has he voted "with Boehner and the Tea Party"?  And the local media, despite its weaknesses, is making it pretty clear that the ACA helps a lot of people.

•  He became my Rep for the 2012 (4+ / 0-)

election and according to the poll, his district voted 50% for Obama (I'm in Kittitas County).  I also thought he was a reasonable guy, actually I still do but he needs to grow a pair and stand up for himself.  He is getting hammered on his facebook page. One news report listed him as one of the Reps that stood up in a Republican meeting angry at his Tea Party friends and asking how they expected to win this - and that was more than a week ago.  He knows he followed his party into a ditch, he is not stupid, just unwilling to buck the party.

"Life is a tragedy for those who feel, a comedy for those who think" - Jean de la Bruyere

by Tinuviel on Fri Oct 11, 2013 at 02:47:58 PM PDT

•  Not stupid maybe but not the brightest bulb either (1+ / 0-)
        MichaelNY

Reichert "auditioned" with Republican leadership in Olympia  casting about for a candidate for governor. He was so poorly informed on state issues that he failed his interview. When he later ran for Congress those same state Republican leaders were slow to endorse him in his run for the 8th.