View Diary: If you are black, get out: The crisis of statelessness in the Dominican Republic (208 comments)

•  You know this is an issue close to my heart. (18+ / 0-)

Thank you for such excellent links and research.  And for bringing this issue forth: I literally gasped in disbelief when I started reading this.  How can this happen again?  After such a brutal history?

Cannot thank you enough for bringing this to the fore.

Isn't it time for the US Govt to give Leonard Peltier back his freedom? ** "Throwing a knuckleball for a strike is like throwing a butterfly with hiccups across the street into your neighbor's mailbox." -- Willie Stargell

by Yasuragi on Sun Oct 20, 2013 at 06:52:11 AM PDT

•  You and I have similar responses Sis (10+ / 0-)

I despair though - trying to figure out how to get more liberals, radicals, progressives ...to pay attention.

"If you're in a coalition and you're comfortable, you know it's not a broad enough coalition." Dr. Bernice Johnson Reagon

by Denise Oliver Velez on Sun Oct 20, 2013 at 06:55:52 AM PDT

•  It's just unimaginable to me that this still (10+ / 0-)

happens -- though I'm not surprised that if it happens, it happens in the DR.  Shocking rollback of a bleak and murderous history.

I will certainly be spreading the word.  Have signed the petitions, tweeted them and this diary, and will compose letters later to all you listed.

Just shaking my head in total disbelief.

by Yasuragi on Sun Oct 20, 2013 at 07:05:07 AM PDT

•  Part of it is lack of information. (6+ / 0-)

Until I read this diary, I hadn't heard of the Dominican Supreme Court's decision, and I try to follow the news fairly carefully.  The fact is, though, that American media do a piss-poor job of reporting on anything that happens beyond our borders, unless perhaps it concerns a conflict in the Middle East.

The decision is truly stunning, though, both in its scope and in the number of people it affects.  As you point out, there are people who were born in the DR -- and whose parents and grandparents were born there -- who have now been rendered stateless.  This is even worse than Germany's former policy of refusing to grant citizenship to the German-born children of Turkish Gastarbeiter.

On another level, it also goes to show just how artificial a construct "race" is.  Most Dominicans have African ancestry, and most of those who are here in the U.S. would probably be considered "black."  Yet in the DR, they separate themselves from Haitians on the ground of skin color.  There seems to be no end to the kind of mental contortions to which people resort when seeking to classify on the basis of "race."  It really is all in the mind, isn't it?

by FogCityJohn on Sun Oct 20, 2013 at 12:45:21 PM PDT

•  the contortions are amazing (4+ / 0-)

and have been reenforced over the years by the schools, the church and the government - as well as in the family.

by Denise Oliver Velez on Sun Oct 20, 2013 at 12:48:15 PM PDT

•  Agree completely. (4+ / 0-)

I have close ties to the Latino community here in NM including a number of Dominicans, and I've never heard this issue discussed. I too am stunned by the sheer audacity and utter lack of humanity of this decision.

Of course, it wouldn't be surprising to hear of those in other countries reacting similarly to the way we have torn apart families in this country, deporting and vilifying those who are here only for the chance at a decent life for their families -- often having lost their subsistence farms because of trade policies like NAFTA.

Muchas gracias, Denise for the incredible diary, and including so many rich resources. Rita Dove's poem was amazing. The video from the Cronkite School was superb -- and reassuring that there are young people doing stuff like this.

Petition signed. I will plan on a presentation of this topic at our local Spanish group.

•  thank you for planning to give a presentation (0+ / 0-)

and for signing.

It is so important that we educate others about this.

by Denise Oliver Velez on Mon Oct 21, 2013 at 12:06:58 AM PDT