View Diary: Daily Kos Elections Live Digest: 10/16 (340 comments)

•  I've wondered (1+ / 0-)
    atdnext

Having never lied in a small state, I've wondered at what point does a congessman stop being a statewide name.  In large states obviously no one knows all congressman, but in states like ME/NE/NE I'm guessing many people know all congressman.

I wonder if in a state the size AR if Cotton might actually be a statewide name already.  Arkansas isn't that big so might he be considered statewide already?

"What if you're on a game show one day and the name of some random New Jersey state senator is the only thing between you and several thousand dollars? And you'll think to yourself, "if only I had clapped faster." - sapelcovits

by rdw72777 on Wed Oct 16, 2013 at 07:40:21 AM PDT

•  I can't speak for other states (1+ / 0-)
      atdnext

but in Maine, most people know that our Congresspeople are Pingree and Michaud, even those who live in the other's district.

And in CT, Murphy didn't really get any boost from his old district in the Senate race, which leads me to believe that many people outside of his district knew who he was before his campaign.

P.S. Maybe you should move to a small state. We'd love to have you :)

(-8.38, -4.72), CT-02 (home), ME-01 (college) "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one." -Spock

by ProudNewEnglander on Wed Oct 16, 2013 at 07:45:24 AM PDT

•  Another part of the equation, (8+ / 0-)

though, would be how long a person has been in office. In Cotton's case, he hasn't been an elected congressman for even a year yet. His name and profile have had hardly any time to sink in.

•  Most people don't even know their own congressman (7+ / 0-)

I think sometimes we tend to forget most people do not really follow politics that closely, and I bet in general over half of voters don't even know/remember the name of their Congressperson. So I doubt most people in even small population states know who all of the reps are

•  Which is why small states is a different story (3+ / 0-)
        atdnext, skibum59, BoswellSupporter

In a small state, where nothing is going on, I'd think the number is way higher.  While a lot of people can't name their congressman, I bet the percentage is much higher in the urban areas of large states than rural areas of small states.

If you live in Arkansas and haven't heard of Tom Cotton I think you're probably more out of touch politically than if you live in NYC and haven't heard of Nydia Velázquez.

by rdw72777 on Wed Oct 16, 2013 at 09:28:03 AM PDT

•  Cotton (2+ / 0-)
          James Allen, JBraden

As was stated above, Cotton has been gearing up for a U.S. Senate run before he ran for the house.  His 2012 opponent ran zero ads against him as far as I can tell.

I would expect a lot of Arkansans (politically in tune) to know Marion Berry, Vic Snyder and Mike Ross.  I certainly would not expect them to know Cotton.  His military service may have earned him certain accolades,  so I could be wrong though.    Ross, Berry and Snyder have gotten more press based on their seniority.

IA-2 Born, raised, currently reside.

by BoswellSupporter on Wed Oct 16, 2013 at 01:47:53 PM PDT

•  Yeah (1+ / 0-)
            BoswellSupporter

My thinking isn't so much that Cotton is special or more well know than those who have been around longer.

My feeling is that he might not be as unknown statewide as a congressman in larger or more urban state might be.

by rdw72777 on Wed Oct 16, 2013 at 01:50:17 PM PDT

•  Very true (0+ / 0-)

I think your feeling would be correct in most cases.  Cotton is the exception to the rule here though.  Cotton hasn't served a couple of terms yet so I wouldn't blame anyone for having no clue who he was really.

Iowa and Arkansas have similar population totals.  Leonard Boswell was well known statewide because his run for Lt. Governor and the fact that many Dems across the state trotted Leonard out to verify that they weren't adequately concerned about veterans issues.  He was a part of the leadership team in the legislature and spent time recruiting candidates.

Boswell was known in 2 of Iowa's Congressional Districts as well, given the fact that he ended up representing parts of the old 2nd and of course the 3rd.

IA-2 Born, raised, currently reside.

by BoswellSupporter on Wed Oct 16, 2013 at 03:27:34 PM PDT

•  Nevada's almost the same size... (0+ / 0-)

And I can tell you that not too many folks down south know who Mark Amodei is. Conversely, not too many folks up north pay attention to Dina Titus and Joe Heck. Steven Horsford will be interesting to watch going forward, as NV-04 is the only seat straddling the North-South Divide.