View Diary: Stringent Income Verification Requirements for Obamacare Could Easily Undermine ACA Rollout (148 comments)

•  Pure, unadulterated Bull Shit. (29+ / 0-)

If the dems go for this, I might spontaneously combust, right after I watch the latest episode of Revenge on Hulu.

The income verification is already in place

When you sign up, you state your income.  All policies cover the same health care program, only the dedutibles, caps, and co-pays differ.

If you what your actual 2014 earnings are HIGHER than what you stated when you signed up,  you HAVE TO PAY BACK the subsidy according to actual income, prorated if you will.

And, if you what you state turns out to be lower than actual 2014 income as reported on your 2014 tax return, you get a rebate.

So bull shit, bull shit, bull shit.

Look, the GOP killed democracy with GOP House H. Res. 368.  With this resolution, democracy died, nothing the Senate does will amount to a hill of beans.

Boehner alreadynuked democracy.

As painful as it might be, perhaps we have to let the crazies have their shut downs until enough suffer to MAKE Congress do the right thing.

Re unions.  I never understood why Unions were separated out in ACA.

Good Grief, I am so very upset.

Great report, bobswern

It's difficult to be happy knowing so many suffer. We must unite.

by War on Error on Mon Oct 14, 2013 at 04:51:36 PM PDT

•  So... the only income I can predict (4+ / 0-)
      War on Error, ChemBob, wsexson, denise b

with confidence is my social security, which places me on Medicaid. If I do find some work, how much and to whom would I repay?

The rethugs are certainly the villains as regards the issue raised in the diary. But the whole-cut-the-baby-in-half approach to health insurance reform leaves the program and its potential beneficiaries vulnerable (and confused) for years to come...

The best lack all conviction, while the worst Are full of passionate intensity.

by chuckvw on Mon Oct 14, 2013 at 05:49:09 PM PDT

•  Use the FPL charts (4+ / 0-)
        mmacdDE, chuckvw, SixSixSix, Betty Pinson

Your payment is dependent on the Federal Poverty Level Chart

It is worthwhile to guestimate your income as correctly as possible.

This will explain

What is the amount of the tax credit provided to people?

But if you are 65 or older ACA doesn't apply to you.

It's difficult to be happy knowing so many suffer. We must unite.

by War on Error on Mon Oct 14, 2013 at 05:54:50 PM PDT

•  I am 62 and forced on early Social Security (7+ / 0-)

by long term unemployment. My income currently is less than 12k. I will be on Medicaid and have no choice in the matter. How does one guesstimate as accurately as possible? I managed to get about 3k in temp work this past year, and no work in the past three months... If I find a job, will I be repaying Medicaid? Notifying the state of my new status in real time? If I don't find work, I won't be paying any tax next year.

Probably pointless to speculate. Some day I'll be able to get on the site or contact someone by phone and get some answers.

The best lack all conviction, while the worst Are full of passionate intensity.

by chuckvw on Mon Oct 14, 2013 at 06:09:19 PM PDT

•  I've been wondering about that too, I think if (1+ / 0-)
            chuckvw

you end making more that is enough to have a plan w/subsidies while having Medicaid, you just report it, and then you're allowed to enroll into an ACA subsidy plan. I think it's tilted towards helping folks out, not to coming after you. Would you be ineligible for Medicaid as soon as you had more income? I doubt that it would matter until the next enrollment period. Same with if you had an ACA subsidy plan and then your income moved up or down. Those are very good questions that I haven't heard how that's going to be done.

•  I could make 3k and still be under (0+ / 0-)

the limit. I hope with some passion that I'll have a job. I'll happily pay!

I definitely agree that the intention is not to catch anyone out, but to help. The rethugs, of course,  would prefer to punish...

The best lack all conviction, while the worst Are full of passionate intensity.

by chuckvw on Tue Oct 15, 2013 at 11:08:39 AM PDT

•  Question (1+ / 0-)
      doinaheckuvanutjob

I just graduated from college and am currently job-hunting. What if for the first few months of the year I have very little income (odd jobs, freelancing) and am legitimately eligible for a large subsidy, but then in say, March or April, I get a real job with benefits which makes me ineligible for exchange plans and pushes my annual income above subsidy-eligible levels?

"Let’s just move on, treat everybody with firmness, fairness, dignity, compassion and respect. Let’s be Marines." - Sgt. Maj Michael Barrett on DADT repeal

by kyril on Mon Oct 14, 2013 at 08:43:32 PM PDT

•  Go to healthcare.gov and call the number and find (1+ / 0-)
        amsterdam

out.  My guess is you inform the government somehow, and you get off the exchange plan.  It would be similar to COBRA.  When you get a new job with benefits, you write to the COBRA administrator and tell them to cancel your COBRA, effective whatever date applies.

•  Certify and audit... (2+ / 0-)
      doinaheckuvanutjob, amsterdam

The deal simply requires Secretary Sebelius to certify the sufficiency of the income verification procedures under the ACA and for the HHS office of the inspector general to perform an audit of those procedures at some point.  Speculation is that there will be little to no actual change to the income verification procedures already in place.

Basically this is all form over substance.  The income verification point in the CR/debt ceiling deal is nothing like the substantive enhanced income verification procedures proposed by Republicans over the last few months.  It is primarily a meaningless bone being thrown to Rs to ink a deal.

•  That doesn't sound bad, except, as someone above (1+ / 0-)
        Calamity Jean

said, it may be setting Sibelius up.  No doubt, the R's will at some point scream that she certified the procedures, but look, look (!), someone somewhere got a subsidy they shouldn't have. I can see Issa calling her up before his committee now.

Besides, throwing them any kind of bone will let them say that Obama negotiated over the debt ceiling after all, and they'll use it as precedent.

Having an audit might be okay.  I'm guessing there's a lot of audits the government does on it's own procedures.  But it should be discussed after the government reopens and the debt ceiling is raised, not before.

•  Good news then. Do you have any link to more of (0+ / 0-)

that info, or did you get the info from someone in the know etc?