View Diary: Why Some “Blue Dogs” Aren’t Worth Feeding: The Myth of the Appeasing Moderate & H.R. 368 (25 comments)

•  Nope. (2+ / 0-)

But I don't know what that has to do with the argument I was making. Sure, electing a Blue Dog Dem may feel better than being "represented" by a wingnut. However, what exactly would a Blue Dog deliver for you?

I know the damage they cause so I guess the question is what is the countervailing benefit to individuals in a red district? From a governing perspective, the only advantage I see is if one Blue Dog can tip the balance of power in the House and that doesn't reflect the electoral world we currently live in.

I won't believe corporations are people until Texas executes one. Leo Gerard.

by tgrshark13 on Tue Oct 15, 2013 at 05:26:21 PM PDT

•  tgrshark13 is right.... (1+ / 0-)
      SouthernLiberalinMD

Electing "Blur Dogs" sometimes creates more problems than it's worth. When we had a majority, they all played the "squeaky wheel" role.

•  And you think the Congresses after the 2010 (0+ / 0-)

election are better than the one before that had more blue dogs? I'd go back to the Congress of 2009-2010 in a heartbeat.

You can't scare me, I'm sticking to the Union - Woody Guthrie

by sewaneepat on Wed Oct 16, 2013 at 02:59:11 AM PDT

•  And then everybody here, who claimed we (0+ / 0-)

"had to" elect Blue Dogs, said "We can't have a public option, or reform the filibuster, or get a climate bill through the Senate b/c we never really had a majority. We never had the votes. Because of Blanche Lincoln, Mary Landrieu, Ben Nelson, etc. etc. etc."

We can't be Democrats because the right-wingers in our own party make it impossible to have a real majority but we must elect right-wingers because we can't get a majority otherwise. Is that about right?

We've been saying this since around 1990. How are we doing? Do we like where this philosophy has gotten us, cause it looks to me like it's driven us farther and farther rightward. Now we're fighting people in our own party who want to cut Social Security. Now we're fighting people in our own party who defend Total Information Awareness. When does it stop? There's people on here who will defend anything if they have a Teabagger to look at who can be reasonably defined as "worse."

But "look at that crazy guy! I'd better vote for somebody else!" is not a political party. Political parties have platforms, values, and alliances based on mutual interest and shared principles. I don't know what the hell this is.

What do Democrats stand for? If I knocked on a door in campaign season and the person on the other side asked me that question, what would I say? Marriage equality?

I tried to go online to find a similar bear head...but when I searched “Big Bear Head” it gave me a San Diego craigslist ad entitled “Big Bear needs some quick head now” and then I just decided to never go on the internet again.--Jenny Lawson

by SouthernLiberalinMD on Wed Oct 16, 2013 at 09:27:07 AM PDT

•  What the blue dog delivered was Nancy Pelosi (0+ / 0-)

as Speaker, which meant a hell of a lot of legislation got done those first two years. Davis voted for some of it, and against someof it, but none of it would have been passed if Boehner was Speaker. Do you think the ACA would have been passed if Pelosi was not Speaker?

You can't scare me, I'm sticking to the Union - Woody Guthrie

by sewaneepat on Wed Oct 16, 2013 at 02:52:37 AM PDT

•  A hell of a lot of legislation? (0+ / 0-)

Most of it died under the weight of the Senate filibuster, which couldn't be reformed or removed, because we had too many conservative Democrats in the Senate.

Or there's the ACA, which could have been far better with some market-based competition in it in the form of a public option, which idea was essentially DOA because of conservatives like Lincoln and Baucus and Nelson. And, in fact, Lieberman, who actually threatened to filibuster the President's flagship legislation.

A hell of a lot of legislation=the ACA as it finally emerged, which isn't actually very good, much of it having been written by the Heritage Foundation. It's better than nothing, but could have been far, far better with a public option included. Also a financial reform bill which is pretty close to toothless. And a stimulus which was too small and riddled with tax cuts and which got held up by the President as essentially a failure by Sept. 2010 (I don't agree with him on that, btw).

That's the "lots of legislation" you're talking about, and frankly, the ACA and the stimulus are pretty much the only real achievements one could point to. Because when you fill your party with conservatives, they do what Republicans do:  they obstruct the consideration, discussion, and votes on good ideas.

by SouthernLiberalinMD on Wed Oct 16, 2013 at 09:33:08 AM PDT

•  The point of my question is that I don't think (0+ / 0-)

people in solid blue districts realize what people are like in solid red districts. Folks down here are batshit crazy. read the comments on DesJarlais's Facebook page. The majority of folks here thought Davis was too liberal, I kid you not. those of us who thought he was too conservative voted for him anyway because we had no choice.

You can't scare me, I'm sticking to the Union - Woody Guthrie

by sewaneepat on Wed Oct 16, 2013 at 02:57:02 AM PDT

•  I do. I lived in a 74% Republican district before (0+ / 0-)

I lived here. We have a real opening for changing how things work in a lot of those districts, IMO, but we have to be smart, and we have to be sincere in our aims.

I guess what I'm saying is that while I think you're sincere, based on your words, I think a lot of people in the party hierarchy who agree with you are not. Their aim is to continually move the party to the right. And they do that by advocating postitions even Republican voters often eschew, like cutting Social Security and Medicare.

by SouthernLiberalinMD on Wed Oct 16, 2013 at 09:38:15 AM PDT

•  Another thing my former blue dog would have (0+ / 0-)

Done is to vote not to shut down the government and vote to raise the debt ceiling.  Right now that would be a lot. DesJarlais will never vote for either.

You can't scare me, I'm sticking to the Union - Woody Guthrie

• Jeb Bush (30)
  • Iraq (29)
  • Law (29)
  • Culture (28)
  • Climate Change (27)
  • Civil Rights (26)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (26)
  • Labor (21)
  • Economy (21)
  • LGBT (17)
  • Science (17)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site