View Diary: Bottom line at World War II Memorial: Honor Flight organizer says 'We've had no problems at all' (29 comments)

•  Some things are silly and some are arcane... (6+ / 0-)

I really do think the closing of the open air memorials and the placement of "closed" signs on the Mall was kind of a shot in the foot. The Lincoln and Jefferson memorials are definitely barricaded and people aren't entering those. I don't think that any of these were ever closed during previous shutdowns. Officially (even if people are technically trespassing) all of the open air areas are closed which really hasn't been done before.

I think that a precedent should be set that if the government shuts down, then the TSA agents and air traffic controllers don't work. We really need to avoid this silliness in the future. The Republicas certainly caused this, but there has been a lot of silliness on both sides.

•  Perhaps, but (6+ / 0-)

there is a lot more silliness on ONE side.  And silliness is too mild a word.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

by beemerr90s on Wed Oct 16, 2013 at 08:37:18 AM PDT

•  NO, there are rules and the evil Rs broke them for (3+ / 0-)

some photo ops with some old white vets.

This is because American white men can do whatever they want because there are no rules for them.

Govt shutdown means that......oh yeah right, not really.

Personally, I think the airports should be shut down unless air travel is for emergencies. The evil Rs would have been stuck in DC unless they could drive home.

Shutdown should mean deprivation for the evil people who caused this which was NOT the Dems.

nosotros no somos estúpidos

by a2nite on Wed Oct 16, 2013 at 09:23:06 AM PDT

•  And the evil Ds broke the rules, too... (2+ / 0-)
        madmojo, Shreve

Come on...the Mall should have never been declared off limits in the first place. There was a big immigration rally just a few days ago on the Mall with lots of Dems in attendance. The whole Mall issue is silly.

I will agree with you that air travel should have been shut down because the TSAs and air traffic controllers should have been furloughed.

Also...one of those "old white vets" was my father and I'll pass along to him the thanks that I'm sure you would like to extend to him for his service.

I'm not sure what to do with the "American white men" comment, so I'll just move on....

•  Why don't you go back to Redstate & say both (3+ / 0-)

Sides do it troll?

nosotros no somos estúpidos

by a2nite on Wed Oct 16, 2013 at 02:04:06 PM PDT

•  The WWII memorial was not built in 1995/1996. (1+ / 0-)
          sethtriggs

There was no internet in 1995/1996 so no photo ops at parks for crazy eyed Confederate battle flag wavers.

But as far as the most outrage, closing parks seems to be the best choice for 1995-6 and 2013.

1. Parks actually get better if people don't use them.
          2. Parks can snap back the fastest.

Airlines and air travel would be less outrage and much more risk of some major expenses if the airline travel supply chain gets broken.

_______

Only gun owners can control their guns and they say oopsie way too much. I lost it, I forgot it, it just went off. Support Gun Kill Speed Limits and Gun Ownership Speed Limits.

by 88kathy on Wed Oct 16, 2013 at 02:49:21 PM PDT

•  Internet is much older that 1995... (0+ / 0-)

The internet is older than the mid 90's. It actually dates back to the late 70's and was in wide use by the late 80's. I was getting lots of good grant monies using it by 1988. There were quite a few Internet Service Providers by 1990.

I'm not sure I understand the comment about the parks. At least for the Federal Mall, it seems to have cost more to close it than to just keep the status quo. I didn't mean to imply that the WWII memorial was not closed during the last shutdown because obviously it hadn't been built yet. However, the mall and the other open-air monuments were not roped off or marked as closed the last time. If we really believe that we want parks to better themselves from lack of use by people, then why not just keep them permanently closed?

This isn't worth belaboring at this point. It looks like there is an agreement. Hopefully both sides will be able to come to an agreement on the budget and we won't need to go through this again.

•  Well the internet was not in common use in 1995-6 (0+ / 0-)

I'm just saying that closing the parks is easy to do, easy to re-open and upsets everyone.

In fact, I think parks should close 5 days out from any budget deadline.

That might keep their heads in the game. All National parks closed up tight, 5 days out. Get busy boys.

by 88kathy on Wed Oct 16, 2013 at 07:50:38 PM PDT

•  Tend to agree on urban "parks" (2+ / 0-)
          OrganicChemist, Just Bob

I've been walking through the Roger Williams National Site (run by the Park Service) every day on my way downtown, as I always do. The visitor center is closed, but you can still be in the park itself. The Mall seems to me the same, surrounded by city sidewalks -- very different from barricading the entrance into Yellowstone or Arches or something, where you don't want people going into the back country when there are no rangers available in case of emergency.

That said, the column inches spent discussing the Mall (because it can be seen from the Capital?) was unreal, compared to the very real impact of the shutdown all over the country. It's another symptom of the media being too lazy to actually send reporters out to investigate stuff, and just republishing the latest GOP talking points.

•  On George Washington Parkway - towards Mt. Vernon (4+ / 0-)

they put barriers in front of  small parking areas that faces the water along the Potomac - it was like only 5 spaces - the trail is still open - etc - just so stupid to do that kind of thing - I can see a big huge park and parking lot - but serious 4 little parking spaces along the trail?

Takin it to the Streets! time to GOTV