View Diary: The chicken that caused the recent salmonella scare: It's still being sold (74 comments)

•  Is there less salmonella in boutique/organic (4+ / 0-)
    VL Baker, AJ in Camden, 6412093, Ender

chicken? I would be willing to eat chicken less frequently and spend more if I thought it would be safer.

I notice that even all the major chicken suppliers in the stores are now marketing their products as being, vegetarian, grain fed, free range, no anti-biotic, etc.

Are they starting to realize that producing a product that doesn't kill people might be a good business move?

I know people from Europe who absolutely blanch at the taste of American chicken and simply won't eat it. To them it tastes like a chemical infused chicken bologna product.

“Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough.” FDR

by Phoebe Loosinhouse on Thu Oct 17, 2013 at 08:40:35 AM PDT

•  the salmonella comes into play in the processing (3+ / 0-)
      wilderness voice, 6412093, carver

stage. So the product is only as safe as the processing/cleaning. Salmonella lives in the gut of animals so when feces is not cleaned thoroughly out of the carcasses it breeds salmonella.

Macca's Meatless Monday

by VL Baker on Thu Oct 17, 2013 at 08:46:43 AM PDT

•  Wait until the Pacific Trade... (2+ / 0-)
        white blitz, VL Baker

Agreement takes over. Chickens will be slaughtered in the US (so the US will be the country of origin)... frozen and packed into shipping containers... then the frozen birds are shipped 7000 miles to China where they are processed into nuggets, sandwich filler and other cheap cuts.  They are then breaded, flavored, packaged and shipped 7000 miles back to your favorite fast food emporium.  I can't see how anything could possibly go wrong............Idiots!!

Never get into a battle of wits with the unarmed. [-8.25 / -5.64]

by carver on Thu Oct 17, 2013 at 03:02:52 PM PDT

•  i posted a comment downthread about this, too. (2+ / 0-)
          VL Baker, carver

sorry i'm so late to the party :)

the tpp is rotten from top to bottom -- just like the chinese poultry plants.

•  Disgusting. I hate to say it but I may have to (1+ / 0-)
          carver

raise my own. I have the land but that whole zero, zero, one thing isn't appealing. I talked the hubby into releasing a keeper striped bass on xmas day. Dude! It's Christmas! I can't kill a fish today! It wasn't a hard sell. But compared to getting the salmonella - oy - Guess I better get used to processing chickens.

if a habitat is flooded, the improvement for target fishes increases by an infinite percentage...because a habitat suitability index that is even a tiny fraction of 1 is still infinitely higher than zero, which is the suitability of dry land to fishes.

by mrsgoo on Fri Oct 18, 2013 at 09:47:11 PM PDT

•  If you check... (0+ / 0-)

around your area there may be someone or business that slaughter and process poultry.  It's easy not to become to attached to the birds (all Roosters) as they are around for only 9- 10 months  ... then they are dinner.

Never get into a battle of wits with the unarmed. [-8.25 / -5.64]

by carver on Mon Oct 21, 2013 at 12:57:31 PM PDT

•  Not only does it taste funny... (1+ / 0-)
      VL Baker

chicken is the size of small turkeys, now. Thick skinned and fatty, too! I have gave up on chicken.

•  Organic eggs have less salmonella (1+ / 0-)
      white blitz

I always use organic eggs when making egg nog or anything with raw eggs in it.

It's still a bit of a crap shoot. Alton Brown says that no one has ever gotten salmonella from egg nog. Maybe it is the alcohol.

They do something to the chickens in a factory egg farm to make them lay more eggs. I think that it is called "forced molting." Basically, they give them a drug that makes all of their feathers fall out. For some reason this makes an older chicken start laying eggs like she did when she was young. This practice is prohibited in organic farming.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate.

by Ender on Thu Oct 17, 2013 at 01:11:44 PM PDT

•  What I won't bawk at (1+ / 0-)
      mrsgoo

I strictly eat the halal chicken available at my local market.  It is fresher, firmer, and easier to handle, and has none of the awful aftertastes, that the standard chicken from the same market.  I can't prove that it has less salmonella, but it looks, tastes and feels healthier, so I have a hard time believing it isn't.  If I do get sick from eating it, I'll issue a fatwa.

“Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral. ” ― Paulo Freire

by ActivistGuy on Fri Oct 18, 2013 at 07:12:42 PM PDT

•  LOL!! What really pisses me off is that I have (0+ / 0-)

been an exclusive Foster Farms buyer. It's the local chicken and they advertise that it's minimally processed instead of that salt injected shit that you find in stores like Walmart.

I guess an attorney wrote that minimally processed bit. Could ya'll please expand minimally processed to clean the SHIT out of the carcasses? Thanks!

by mrsgoo on Fri Oct 18, 2013 at 09:52:20 PM PDT