View Diary: Silence Games: Welcome to Daily Koch - A New Low for a Formerly Liberal Blog. (329 comments)

•  I call it like I see it. (4+ / 0-)

And what I saw was someone ignoring every single fact and reasoned argument to spit in my face.  What you know is what you know, but that doesn't change what I know and what I experienced.  And if you're going to attack my use of metaphors and hyperbole, how many of the staff (at least the ones who actually write something) would you care to see doing exactly that?  Are they drama queens too are you just grasping at any petty excuse?  If it's your friend, that's fine, I get it, but what happened is what happened.  I'm perfectly willing to hear any sort of backstory that explains it, unlike that person's attitude toward me, which was hostile and indifferent from the word Go.

Always apart, always asking Why.

by Troubadour on Thu Oct 17, 2013 at 05:13:54 AM PDT

•  You call it like you see it. (13+ / 0-)

And how you see it suggests to me you might need your eyes examined.

Dude, you're going to flame out -- no check that. You ARE flaming out. You either are deciding to make everyone be glad to see the back of you when you get banned, or you're letting displaced rage override your better judgment.

If you want to get banned, spare yourself, and all of us, the trouble and just go of your own accord; there's at least dignity in that.

If you don't want to get banned, then for God's sake step back and get some fucking perspective before you do something you can't walk back from.

"Much of movement conservatism is a con and the base is the marks." -- Chris Hayes

by raptavio on Thu Oct 17, 2013 at 08:39:37 AM PDT

•  BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU SAY! (1+ / 0-)
        Troubadour

You WILL be silenced. Hmmm.

•  You really have no idea what's going on here. (1+ / 0-)
        Tortmaster

I'm not in control of whether or not I'm banned.  I'm only in control of whether what I say is honest.  Now you choose what kind of place you want Daily Kos to be, and be that yourself no matter what consequences are from people who don't want you to speak.  I want this to be a place where people are safe to explore ideas without fear of thuggish ideologues with the power to silence them.

Always apart, always asking Why.

by Troubadour on Thu Oct 17, 2013 at 09:26:38 AM PDT

•  Well (12+ / 0-)

I'm all for different voices.

But frankly, if you cannot express your POV without gratuitously dropping the C-bomb then I think your perspective would be better presented by other people who share it yet are able to not use misogynistic language to express it.

by raptavio on Thu Oct 17, 2013 at 10:07:10 AM PDT

•  I thought British humor was more pervasive (1+ / 0-)
            Tortmaster

than it apparently is, at least here.  That's all there is to it.  And it's no more misogynistic in that context than "dick" is "misandrist."  Now, I've agreed not to repeat it in recognition that it's more fraught than I'd thought it was, based on how pervasive it is in comedy, but we're past this.  The issue has been addressed.

What has not been addressed is the more general fact that certain people think their sensibilities are more important than other people's most basic intellectual freedom.  There's no reciprocity in their approach - no "community" in their practice of community moderation.  It's just, if you annoy them or say anything that challenges their personal sense of taste, they'll smack ya.  That's unacceptable.

Daily Kos has a bullying problem.  No one should have to wonder what the local Ideology Department apparatchiks will do if they say X or Y, have to edit their lexicon for Approved Language like some Soviet telecaster.  Yes, some things are a matter of legitimate passion, which is why I won't be using the C word again.  Other things, however, are not.  Community moderation does not consist of people who look for excuses to shut others up.  Those are exactly the people who shouldn't have TU status at all, not be the primary drivers of how rules are enforced.  And yes, it is every TU's responsibility to uprate comments that are wrongly HR'd, whether you agree with the comment or not.

Always apart, always asking Why.

by Troubadour on Thu Oct 17, 2013 at 10:43:55 AM PDT

•  Don't mansplain. (15+ / 0-)

The argument about the difference between pejorative uses of male vs. female genitalia in a male dominated culture where 3 in 10 woman are raped by men has been done to death and I will not rehash it here; do a little due diligence and educate yourself.

You can whinge and get butthurt over the fact that Kos has drawn a bright line about the gratuitous use of language you feel is so very critical to your "most basic intellectual freedom", (which is itself bunk as you have absolute freedom to go use any C-bomb, N-bomb, F-bomb or Q, X and Z bomb on your own webspace or in your own forum) but the fact remains that this is Kos' site, he sets the rules, he delegates authority as he sees fit, and you can do one of two things: accept it and live within that framework, or beat feet.

Yeah, there are bullies here, absolutely. So what. You push back on the bullies and you do so within the framework that you know damn well is there. I've been doing it for years, against some of the same "bullies" that have harangued you, and I'm still here, never timeouted, never NRed.

Regardless, I'm glad you've declared your intent to eschew the C-bomb henceforth. That's step one. Step two is to accept the fact that you got timeouted for violating the rules and move the fuck on. Because only a Q-word who can't Z-word his own J-word would continue to throw a tantrum about such a 7-word thing.

by raptavio on Thu Oct 17, 2013 at 10:54:36 AM PDT

•  you do like to criticize, tho (0+ / 0-)

and often it seems uncalled for.

What we call god is merely a living creature with superior technology & understanding. If their fragile egos demand prayer, they lose that superiority.

by agnostic on Thu Oct 17, 2013 at 02:54:13 PM PDT

•  I am banned from reccing this comment so I will (3+ / 0-)
      Troubadour, mconvente, Shield Eater

rec you by comment, Troubadour. Seems that the moderators ARE afraid of metaphors taking them as literal and they are cracking down on social cultural references as well.  Soon, this will create an echo chamber of unthinking dullards.