View Diary: Silence Games: Welcome to Daily Koch - A New Low for a Formerly Liberal Blog. (329 comments)

•  Well, apparently you DO have . . . (39+ / 0-)

"something to prove," since you're back here busily trying to rewrite history while you're whining about being so "persecuted."

So how about some truth?

You have a long history of traffiicking in some really ugly memes.  And you were given a time-out for, among other things, an Islamophobic "joke" in your title, going Godwin in your text, and winding up with a misogynistic slur for women's genitals that Markos himself declared off-limits more than two years ago.  When called on it, you more than doubled down, in predictably nasty fashion.  Then you whined to the Help Desk in a completely counterfactual screed (you know, sort of like this one) when you rightly given a time-out.

You're lucky to be back at all after your constant serial violations of the rules - which, let's see, just in your last rodeo include religious bigotry, Nazi analogies, and misogyny.  Sure you want to try his patience further?

Yeah, I know.  You're convincing yourself that you're striking a blow for freedom and all.

Christ, what puerile, childish behavior.

Authentic Native American silverwork, jewelry, photography, and other art here.

by Aji on Thu Oct 17, 2013 at 06:32:04 AM PDT

•  This has been explained to you more than once. (0+ / 0-)

If you still pretend not to get it, I simply don't believe you.

Always apart, always asking Why.

by Troubadour on Thu Oct 17, 2013 at 06:35:23 AM PDT

•  There's nothing to "explain." (27+ / 0-)

You engaged in some really nasty, bigoted behavior, were called on it, doubled down, and then defended your slurs by attacking those to whom you owed an apology.  Like, say, the whole site.

But do keep insisting that you have some sort of right to use that particular slur here.  I'm sure admin will be absolutely fascinated by your stubborn refusal to "get it."

Authentic Native American silverwork, jewelry, photography, and other art here.

by Aji on Thu Oct 17, 2013 at 06:44:23 AM PDT

•  No, I used a religious phrase as a metaphor (0+ / 0-)

for Republican politics, and the result was ratings abuse by people who hadn't gotten the memo that Daily Kos doesn't have an official religion.  Because you know as well as I, as does everyone who backed you, that Islam and only Islam is given the consideration being demanded - no other religion is shown that respect, and certainly no one is HR'd or banned for criticizing or mocking other religions.  So I'd like to know something: How dare you?

You're welcome to share your religious beliefs with us; you're welcome to criticize - criticize - opinions that differ with yours on religion; but whoever decided that irreverence toward Islam was an HRable offense crossed a red line, and now you've crossed it with them by repeating these laughably transparent excuses and surreal comments about all the horrible things I supposedly did.  Let me ask you: Did I stop you from replying to me, at any time?  Did I prevent you from talking to anyone for two weeks?  Did I lob attacks that you were unable to respond to?  You know what you did, and you know it's wrong.

Now just cut the shit already.

Always apart, always asking Why.

by Troubadour on Thu Oct 17, 2013 at 09:06:27 AM PDT

•  I missed the help desk thread (7+ / 0-)

Better than the hiddens for my entertainment dollar.  Poor elfing.

It puts the lotion on its skin

by Nada Lemming on Thu Oct 17, 2013 at 06:58:34 AM PDT

•  I'll reiterate my point from above (1+ / 0-)
      cryonaut

Which is posted in this comment:

Essentially, remind me why as a progressive I'm supposed to treat all religions equally?  Why is that automatically assumed?  Click the link and read my comment and you will understand where I'm coming from.

Additionally, the same people that HR'd "Dollar-u-Akhbar" are regularly recommending BruinKid's video posts and transcripts of Bill Maher "New Rules" clips.  Which certainly have as much "offensive" material in them.  Talk about hypocrisy...  Care to explain that?

Now for me, I may get angry at various behavior, but I never get offended.  Nothing offends me.  It just doesn't.  Comedy is fair game.

"Give me a lever long enough... and I shall move the world." - Archimedes

by mconvente on Thu Oct 17, 2013 at 09:31:57 AM PDT

•  You explain to me . . . (12+ / 0-)

why any religion should be tarred with broadest of brushes of its worst self-described "adherents."

And while you at it, you explain to me why this person should be given a pass for Nazi analogies, and for use of a four-letter slur beginning with "c," which Markos declared off limits two fucking years ago, and then doubling down on said slur.  And you explain to me why this person, who has a long and ugly history of disciplinary infractions and of launching nasty personal attacks on Kossacks across the board, and now on a staff member who has been subjected to far too many of those in recent days, should continue to be given a pass for THAT.

You explain to me why his continued use of bigoted tropes should get a pass.

Authentic Native American silverwork, jewelry, photography, and other art here.

by Aji on Thu Oct 17, 2013 at 09:52:38 AM PDT

•  I'm talking about one specific item (0+ / 0-)

Interesting, because you never hear about the so-called worst described "adherents" of Buddhism or even Judaism (the issue of Israel's right-wing government being a totally different thing).  But you sure hear about them for Islam and Christianity.  So why again am I supposed to treat all religions equally, even if I'm only talking about the worst described ones?  Why do jokes about God and Jesus get free passes but saying "Dollar-u-akhbar" so reprehensible?  I reject that such a phrase is a bigoted trope.  His other phrases may be so, I haven't seen them because I'm not on Daily Kos all day long.

Plenty of Muslims require women to be covered from head to toe and treat them as property - and that has nothing to do with ultra extremist behavior, e.g. - the rape and murder of an 8 year old "wife".  Is that not as bad as the fundamentalist and extremist sects of Mormonism?  As someone who values equality for women, I'm supposed to just be fine with a religion where that anti-women foundation is rooted?  Um, hell no.

And as I've made entirely clear, this isn't an anti-Islam thing, it's an anti-extremist thing.  I've been very harsh and fundamentalist Christians who deny their kids life-saving vaccines.  But there's no way you can tell me that the percentage of extremists is higher with Buddhism and Judaism when compared with Islam and Christianity.

On the other topics you mention, that's between you and Troubadour.  Nazi comparisons are inappropriate, but can you tell me that you've never rec'd or approved of a Bill Maher video clip?  He uses the "c" word frequently.  And as I said above, I really don't get offended at things.  I guess I'm desensitized to things based on my own experiences.

And thus brings me to my main point all along - the rules are applied inconsistently, which I suppose is inherent in most systems.

"Give me a lever long enough... and I shall move the world." - Archimedes

by mconvente on Thu Oct 17, 2013 at 10:11:56 AM PDT

•  Christianity is consistently tarred (2+ / 0-)
          mconvente, OrganicChemist

with the broadest of brushes of its worst self-described "adherents" here on dkos. And that tarring is consistently cheered and agreed with.

When it comes to Islam, which is much worse on a global scale, that same tarring is somehow "bigoted tropes".

Islamic dominated countries consistently, with the support of their populations, treat their women as either property or second class citizens. It's even worse for gays. It's even worse for any kind of human rights supporters. The only common thread in all those countries is their religion.

Why can we tar Christianity but not Islam? Why is Islam exempt from "tarring"? I say tar them both. Religions should never be immune from ridicule, that's part of our freedoms, there should be no special treatment for Islam. Especially as they are as a Religion, the worst offenders anti-human-freedom behavior.

• Recommended (153)
  • Community (68)
  • Elections (34)
  • Media (33)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (31)
  • Law (30)
  • Republicans (23)
  • Climate Change (23)
  • Economy (21)
  • Josh Duggar (19)
  • Marriage Equality (19)
  • Jeb Bush (18)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site